Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Post by EvanJ »

CAA games won't be on ESPNU any time soon, but Hofstra will have two games on NBC Sports Network, which I would expect reaches more people than ESPNU.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

My bigger frustration was the sold out crowd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:What have we done to promote the W & M game???? There is a big article in Newsday previewing the SBU-Albany game but NOTHING about Hofstra vs William & Mary after last season's double overtime semi-final...WHAT"S GOING ON?
I keep saying this is where they need to be advertising.

Could have gotten the Marriott restaurant Champions involved, or Miller's Ale House (both nearby, off Hempstead Tpke) with a discounts there if you bring your Hofstra game ticket, advertising it as a way to kick off a fun sports Sunday, with the Hofstra game at noon before going to Champions or Miler's to watch the AFC and NFC title games at 3:00 and 6:30. Both places would probably have been happy to have given the discounts to get the extra business for the football games, post-snowstorm,
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

OK so here are the facts. Our mens attendance for this year stands at 1,282. Our lowest total since the MACK opened was 1,468 in 2013-2014. We have 5 home games remaining. We need to avg 1,800 a game to exceed our worst attendance year since 2001. as far as our women they are averaging 388. in 2013-2014 also their worst year its was 391. The women have no big promotions left on the calendar so it will have to land on them making some noise to bring fans in. Getting back to the men. We have had only one crowd more than 1,800 this year. So whats every ones thoughts on this dilemma.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Lack of fans at games is giving Rabinowitz leverage to drop programs to D-III...he certainly would not miss D-I
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

As I was parking outside of work this morning, I heard Boomer and Carton run an ad for Hofstra basketball.. Said something to the likes of "Come roar with the Pride". Wasn't expecting it, so I did not fully hear it. I will listen again. It was around 735 today. Would have liked to be snowed in, but douche DeBlasio wanted all schools open for babysitting, but I digress.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

garyg wrote:Lack of fans at games is giving Rabinowitz leverage to drop programs to D-III...he certainly would not miss D-I
We've been Division I for 50+ years, I doubt that would ever happen. Rabinowitz would probably cut the program before dropping to D-III.

They just built a beautiful practice facility to attract bigger recruits. I think they have high hopes for this program. Maybe it will take making the NCAA tournament to start the process of turning around attendance figures.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I think dropping to D-III is unlikely but you never know with current administration....pumping a lot of money into the D-1 program and getting very limited support...a lot of similarities between football and basketball.... money being put in and limited support/interest in return....by dropping to D-III Rabinowitz could say he still values athletics otherwise he would have dropped program completely....
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If you go d-3 Gary you lose all your other coaches. It would totally destroy the entire athletic dept. Here is the situation. If you are D-1 you NEED basketball but you dont need football. Still do the math. Football 4.5 mil . attendance 4,000 with 400 being students. Basketball mens- 3.2 mil attendance 1,282 students avg per game 50. football gets cut basketball keeps on going. Say what you will but those are the facts. Unfair as it might be seen. Hofstra gets 308 mil endowment of which about 19 mil goes to our sports program. Rabinowitz not anti athletics just anti- football.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Curious to see how many "students" show up on Thursday...No more excuses...are they planning any welcome back student promotions?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

In the Coaches Report today, JAM essentially begs for attendance on Thursday. That makes both of our coaches begging for people to come to games.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

This administration needs to promote the program. Whether that means doing a buy one get one, free dog and soda for students, give away free tickets to youth programs, do something. For a team playing with the chance of making the dance, it's an absolute joke we don't do more to promote this team now.
Polito

Post by Polito »

It's a complete joke, and the AD needs to step up and do something about - he is accountable for this and needs to act like it. Having your coaches beg for fans is a complete embarrassment for the entire school and athletic dept.

Stop it. Fix it. DO SOMETHING.

How dare anyone in the admin sit by twiddling their thumbs while your staffs and student athletes are hung out to dry - how dare you force them into this position because they know nothing else is being done.

That is what is unacceptable. It needs to be addressed, NOW, and LOUDLY. The AD is in charge, his staff is responsible, they need to SHOW in FULL FORCE that they care enough about the people they keep saying they care about to take REAL ACTION - it's time for them to display LEADERSHIP and improve this FOR the coaches, rather than have them literally plead for fans - they should be just as embarrassed as we are to see that - if they really care, I would think they would do anything possible to fix this for them.

Gary, with all due respect my friend I'm going to address you specifically now and tell you to stop flaming about HU dropping to D3. Just stop it dude. That is not happening, it has never been discussed, it is not even a real option. Unless you can present something tangible from a person of the actual authority level to do so (which I know you can't, and neither can anyone else), please, let it rest bud - there is no need for you to keep bringing it up as if it's a real topic - it isn't. I know you mean well, believe me, but this is not a place for that kind of false exaggerated imaginary rumors.

Now, attendance, marketing, and what the admin is doing about it IS a real issue that needs to be addressed. Let's keep the focus on that.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Agreed 1000 percent polito.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I was wondering if any of you True Blue Dutch Fans expected this 2015-2016 Basketball Season to be different way back in October? The lack of excitement in the arena is just so deflating. I know I was expecting more. With just a few games to go in the home schedule, we seem to be discussing the same issues over and over. I agree with Polito, just get the issues fixed.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I know this is beating a dead horse. Monday the road were still a mess . Especially out in Suffolk county but SBU got 2,940 to attend a game against Maine. Maine? Maybe they thought there was a hockey game going on.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Another thing, in the past two weeks I have seen at least a half dozen commercials I believe on FSNY for Fairfield University basketball. On TV nothing with Hofstra on the station that broadcasts their games.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Big game on thurs...will students attend? Hopefully something is being done to entice them other than JM muttering some cliche in the Coach's Report

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

Probably not too many students listen to coaches report
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

garyg wrote:Probably not too many students listen to coaches report
And what conclusions do we draw from that?