Transfers and Other Player News

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Transfers and Other Player News

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Did not play major minutes only 24, per game they are solid numbers but i would like to see someone with a little bulk as the other Caa teams have the 6ft 10 plus and 250 lbs centers who could give him some trouble Could see foul trouble if he gets pushed around a bit in the post
He's about the same size as Cone and Jacquil Taylor and has played against good competition playing in the ASUN. He could get pushed around a BIT but also could put on some muscle but the flip side of that coin is that he's going to create problems in guarding him due to his quickness and shooting range. He has had BIG games playing against P5 competition Stu. If you look at his stat lines while at Stetson.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Call me skeptical but he only avgs one block per game. Not exactly a shot blocker. This is where TP comes in and teaches him and Crammer to play together on the backline.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

11 pts, 8 rebounds, and a block a game in 20 mpg at Stetson.

Rode the bench last year for an ELITE 8 program and gained the experience that that comes with that.

6'9'' 230 lbs.

On paper, this guy is a HUGE grab!

Torn ACL last year is obviously a big concern, but he's had above and beyond recovery time and even went back to dressing and playing with Arkansas.

In regards to him being "pushed around" in the CAA and not being enough of a blocking/big man presence-- I think we're all forgetting how much of a hit this conference has taken talent wise. The #4 shot blocker in conference blocked 1 shot per game... The leading BPG big in the CAA was Mehkel Harvey on W&M with just over 2 per game. He's 6'9'' 225.

We don't need Dikembe Mutombo, but we do have a path to a great season if this guy can stay healthy, play 25 mpg, and simply recreate what he did at Stetson his last year there by being a defensive big man with dependable interior/mid range game.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

One of the best 5 best sports stars commerical of all time.
1. Mean Joe Greene and his Coke commerical
2. Yogi Berra in the Barbers chair Geico commerical "And they give you money which is just a good as cash".
3. Another credit card commerical stariing Yao Ming and Yogi
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

stuball888 wrote:One of the best 5 best sports stars commerical of all time.
1. Mean Joe Greene and his Coke commerical
2. Yogi Berra in the Barbers chair Geico commerical "And they give you money which is just a good as cash".
3. Another credit card commerical stariing Yao Ming and Yogi
Gotta have Broadway Joe on the list!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Joe Torre and Willie Randolph
It's alotta meat! For Subway

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Since we're on a roll how about Luis Tiant doing the YANKEE Franks commercial "It's fun to play for a WIENER"!! CLASSIC
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Triple C that is a classic but today it would never fly . The woke cancel culture would say they were making fun of tiants accent.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

True Stu we are losing what makes us all humans and just having fun with crazy situations!! How sad.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HU87 wrote:11 pts, 8 rebounds, and a block a game in 20 mpg at Stetson.

Rode the bench last year for an ELITE 8 program and gained the experience that that comes with that.

6'9'' 230 lbs.

On paper, this guy is a HUGE grab!

Torn ACL last year is obviously a big concern, but he's had above and beyond recovery time and even went back to dressing and playing with Arkansas.

In regards to him being "pushed around" in the CAA and not being enough of a blocking/big man presence-- I think we're all forgetting how much of a hit this conference has taken talent wise. The #4 shot blocker in conference blocked 1 shot per game... The leading BPG big in the CAA was Mehkel Harvey on W&M with just over 2 per game. He's 6'9'' 225.

We don't need Dikembe Mutombo, but we do have a path to a great season if this guy can stay healthy, play 25 mpg, and simply recreate what he did at Stetson his last year there by being a defensive big man with dependable interior/mid range game.
So agree with this. This guy comes in here with a proven resume playing mid major basketball(not JC) and has played against P5 schools and done well. The only reservation we should have is about his health and that appears to be in the rear view mirror. Also the kid from Penn is going to be a plus here as well realistically a better player then the backups we have had here in the past eg Dwyer and Sabety. I think this guy Simmons might surprise some people here. Maybe Abayomi could play 25-30 minutes and Simmons cleans up the rest. If Abayomi gets into foul trouble I don't believe that Simmons will hurt us filling in the way that our backups have done in the past.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Less Filling....Tastes Great.....Billy, you're fired!.....Not again!?!?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:Less Filling....Tastes Great.....Billy, you're fired!.....Not again!?!?
Forgot about that one great stuff!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sorry to derail :D but getting back to this signing, great stuff from TP and Speedy - proven D1 player with great size. No concern about him getting pushed around, he will be just fine. Is he enough to be the starter? Not sure how the staff sees him... either he'll be the guy, or they are going after another as well. Only thing I see that sticks out to me as a TBD is that he doesn't play heavy starter minutes the way HU likes guys to do, i.e. ~30 min a game. He's close though, so perhaps the right environment and coaching he'll fill that role?

HU87 makes a great point as well, and one I have harped on from different angles over the years - this conf is nowhere near what some still think it is in terms of a gauntlet - it's really not that difficult if you have a properly built team. A post player of this size and ability should be able to be quite effective. So I like this get, and will also say that I do still want one more potential stud in the post.

The biggest challenge I see here is this new staff forming this nearly fully new group of players into a champion TEAM. Massive test for Speedy and crew. Potential is huge. Can they deliver??
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

The OOC schedule will really be important this season to get the team ready for conference play. Will need a good mix of confidence builder games and more challenging games.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Silverio was pictured today in the weight room with the team so he must not have transferred out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yeh saw that. Rest of team tough to ID except for Jalen and his full beard.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Fear the beard
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Zion Bethea in today's pics so he is still here as well. Looks like this is the current roster, with last year not counting against eligibility:

Guards
Zach Cooks SR
Jalen Ray SR
Omar Silverio JR
Caleb Burgess SO
Aaron Estrada SO
Alejandro Vásquez SO
Darlinstone Dubar FR
Zion Bethea FR
Jaquan Carlos FR
Griffin Barrouk FR

Forwards