Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
CoachBarry10

Re: Coaching search

Post by CoachBarry10 »

The Speedy hire was, in my opinion, the right hire for the program but not the best coach. Not to say Speedy can’t be a great coach, I just don’t think he’s there yet. He is going to be great for recruiting good local talent and bringing the program more national attention. He will also likely bring in a high(ish) profile assistant. I think some members of the current staff stay but not Mike. Andrew Cobian will likely stay in some capacity as I know he is close with Speedy. Mike will likely look for a HC or at worst an AHC position elsewhere. I think he’s a phenomenal coach and will have success wherever he goes. Looking forward to see what Speedy can do at the helm and hopefully they let us watch in person next season! My cardboard cutout isn’t nearly as loud as I am at the Mack!!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If you don't have the talent, you could be John Wooden and you ain't winning! College hoops is recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

In case I wasn't clear, in lieu of us getting a seasoned vet with hc experience, I am very happy with the decision. And I'm thrilled for Speedy, a real good guy.
Last edited by joeg1 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:If you don't have the talent, you could be John Wooden and you ain't winning! College hoops is recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.
Yup, and I think that had a lot to do with this hire.
Wags

Post by Wags »

CoachBarry10 wrote:My cardboard cutout isn’t nearly as loud as I am at the Mack!!
:D :D :D
Polito

Post by Polito »

The Good
-- This is a great feel good story that has and will continue to garner pretty decent coverage due to Jay Wright and Speedy's NBA career and championship.
-- Recruiting will continue to be top notch, and as Joe said, that is the name of the game.
-- Some continuity remains, and with JM in-house, it's a safe play. Retaining the team talent and keeping Carlos is def a huge win.
-- I of course love Speedy as a person and player, and have to be really happy for this guy - he gave HU a bone even coming here and toiling in low paying mid major assistant ranks for years when he clearly didn't have to do that. Quite fortunate and that's enough for me to love the guy and know that he's all in for the blue and gold.
-- Perhaps he can lure in a Richardson or a high quality connect of his to boost the staff.

The Bad
-- Anti-climatic. Safe plays are for 2nd place. And that's HU in a nutshell. Is this honestly the best HC option for this program in the entire nation? Color me skeptical on that.
-- Def feel for Mike - love that guy too as a person, great fam, and in this deflating scenario would've preferred to just keep both. But I hope he has a great path ahead.
-- Speedy has shown he can recruit and develop guards, but literally nothing else. Not following what he's earned to be a HC? Time in isn't enough folks. Has not proven in-game coaching, defensive sets, post development, play-calling, or being a CEO. Former player greats do not have a great track record of being top college coaches. Patrick Ewing is a great example, horrible job at GU - great 'face', terrible college head honcho. Best hope that doesn't happen here - HU won't recover with the admin they have.
-- Speedy needs a TOP staff, and I'm doubtful HU will pony up the money to reel in quality. This could easily be Speedy, a behind the scenes JM, and a prayer. Not exactly what I want to see for our flagship program. Hoping to be wrong.

The Reality
-- This took WAY too long when it was the only play they were going to do all along. The national search was absolute horsesh!t and a total insult to everyone who cares.
-- The HU admin has once again fully neutered their AD from making big boy moves. Now that Cole realizes he's de-balled at a school that is totally cool with 'almost' and displays ZERO urgency to dance after being at a school that makes baller moves to guarantee they dance, I won't blame him when he exits. Sitting on the couch in March sucks.
-- Between this and the mens lax failings, the warning signs with this admin are bright red. The way HU handled this whole thing was highly disappointing. It's like this school hasn't grown up from being D3 umpteen years ago. Bush league leadership - scary low expectations and terribly high tolerance for failing.

The fact that posters have had to sell this idea by stating they're all 'good guys' and the 'hope' is that he 'grows into the role' is all I need to know. That's like trying to sell your buddy on a date with a girl and when he asks if she's hot, you go 'she's super nice'. Pretty frustrated tonight, and I definitely shouldn't feel that after hiring a legend.

Speedy, appreciate ya man, I'm highly skeptical, but I will still be there pulling for you to take this program to the next level... ROLL PRIDE
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So Congrats to Speedy I will start another thread which will be who should Speedy have on his staff.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I'm happy for Speedy. Time will tell if he can head up a team. He certainly can recruit and develop and those are very important aspects to the job. I hope we will all be praising this hire in a few years. Also, since much of the team has reposted his being named head coach, i imagine a lot of the team will stay intact. I also read that Tareq is not coming back and Jalen is no the fence. Has anyone heard anything about that?

If Mike does leave, i wish him the best. He has been a great coach and a true ambassador of the university. He showed a lot of good qualities this year - notably his honestly and transparency. I hope he does land a good gig going forward and i will be rooting for him as well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I'm not as concerned as others about bringing in assistants or whether Speedy can be a good head coach. He knows the game and you couldn't have brought in a head coach from outside who would want Hofstra Basketball to succeed more than Speedy will in that role. I believe because that, he'll work his butt off to make himself better and to hold everyone else accountable to do all he can to make that happen.

I think it'll come down to what it always comes down to for this program - can they recruit (mainly) and develop the complementary pieces needed to win championships? Last year, Ray and Coburn helped them do that after Buie, Pemberton and Kante led them. Especially at the guard spot, they always get some of the best talent in CAA history. That will be even more likely to continue with Speedy, especially from local sources. Like before, those guys (whomever they'll be in the longer-term) will lead the team over time, just like before. But as HC, can Speedy also recruit the necessary complementary pieces so they won't fall short like Stokes, Jenkins, JWF, etc. did because they didn't quite have enough help? Or, will there be those other pieces in the future to help the core win CAA titles?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

That's a good point Wags. Many teams can get one or two all-league type players. But often it's 3 through 8 who separate the winners from the also-rans.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:That's a good point Wags. Many teams can get one or two all-league type players. But often it's 3 through 8 who separate the winners from the also-rans.

Yeah, it does. And, 1, or 1-2, Hofstra not only continually gets all-league, but they get all-time CAA greats, I mean historically, since the league started, long before HU joined... Stokes, Agudio, Jenkins, JWF, etc., some of the best players ever to play in the CAA. But HU has often been top heavy... often the best possible in the league at the top whereas other CAA teams that have won it all, not quite at that level at the top but more balanced after that.

It doesn't even have to be 3-8, just 3-5. Last year, they finally won basically without a bench, but the key was - especially in that title game against Northeastern down the stretch - although Buie came up huge, it wasn't all on him or on Pemberton or Kante... those guys had Ray make some big shots late and Coburn contributing. That's the key, the complements. That more than anything else will, I think, separate real success from coming up just short for Speedy over time, just like many years in the past for HU.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wags that point is exactly why the staff is a major concern, not the reason why it isn't. Silly to state that building a quality staff or Speedy's coaching ability isn't a concern, lol, that's THE concern! Bleeding blue and gold and having heart passion and desire is absolutely a huge part of the equation - but so is actual SKILL. Just knowing the game isn't enough - you have to be able to COACH the game, not just guards. You have to be a CEO, which means saying more than 3 words in a whisper. Speedy has a LOT to prove. It's an unknown, no matter how much he's a legend and loved at HU. This is different than being on the sideline. Front and center changes a heckuva lot.

But no question he's all HU, and that's a start.

The staff for Speedy is going to be HUGE. It will be THE difference in his success level. He HAS to have guys that can recruit and coach talented bigs, and that can bring it when it comes to in-game X's and O's.

I really REALLY hope Speedy can work his contacts, he must have a sick network, and I PRAY that HU opens up the checkbook for him to bring in a killer crew. He's going to need it. He alone will not be enough, and neither will even a stud like Carlos. It's all about the support staff and support team around them.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Wags that point is exactly why the staff is a major concern, not the reason why it isn't. Silly to state that building a quality staff or Speedy's coaching ability isn't a concern, lol, that's THE concern! Bleeding blue and gold and having heart passion and desire is absolutely a huge part of the equation - but so is actual SKILL. Just knowing the game isn't enough - you have to be able to COACH the game, not just guards. You have to be a CEO, which means saying more than 3 words in a whisper. Speedy has a LOT to prove. It's an unknown, no matter how much he's a legend and loved at HU. This is different than being on the sideline. Front and center changes a heckuva lot.

But no question he's all HU, and that's a start.

The staff for Speedy is going to be HUGE. It will be THE difference in his success level. He HAS to have guys that can recruit and coach talented bigs, and that can bring it when it comes to in-game X's and O's.

I really REALLY hope Speedy can work his contacts, he must have a sick network, and I PRAY that HU opens up the checkbook for him to bring in a killer crew. He's going to need it. He alone will not be enough, and neither will even a stud like Carlos. It's all about the support staff and support team around them.
What I mean is that at those complementary positions, it's about recruiting talent more than anything else. HU's biggest problem (aside from last year) has been that for all of the wishful-thinking pumping up of the complementary pieces and the bench that's done annually on this board with just about every single one of those types of recruits, most of them don't pan out at all and as we've seen, even John Wooden wouldn't make that so. If they recruit better complementary talent alongside the very good top guys they always seem to get, that's what will be the difference no matter who the supporting staff is alongside Speedy.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Post Speedy Announcement
With 12 hours to digest it...
I wish we made the announcement immediately after JAM said he was stepping down - especially since the only names I see being mentioned were Speedy, Mike and Grasso...Id would have felt that HU was more committed and prepared to transition from JAM to Speedy - if we made the decision and announcement right away.
I look at what Speedy has brought to HU - LOCAL recruiting and player development
What Speedy has not shown - in game coaching (from the bench/I know he WAS a COACH on the floor); exuberant infectious personality; strategy (game planning Xs and Os)
Speedy is the face of HUBB - he grew up here; he played here; he lives here; (I assume) he has enough $bread$ - so when he has success here it might be tough to lure him away = continuity.
However players want to eventually play for a winner and he has to prove that he can win and not only recruit but recruit develop but win too.
Assistant Coaches - the HUBB Website has NONE of the previous assistants listed - obviously not Mike but neither Curtain or Corbin.
Id love Richardson to come back - how about Speedys lil' brother Mike an assistant at Adelphi (with form HUBB assistant David Duke) - reaches of blast from the past Pecora and Macon.
I know its been said here that JAM will be his "God Father" - hmmmmm - between his rehabbing and HU choosing to not elevate Mike - I am starting to see what has been said before by others - the Hofstra Athletic Department and the Hofstra Administration - might not be on the same page and maybe JAM has been neutered (like Cole and prior ADs) too.
Anyway - What i wanted was a coach - and we got him - lets go Hofstra!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Introductory press conference today at 11:30 a.m. at www.gohofstra.com/video.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Watching... quite interested to hear this and gauge the feel.
Polito

Post by Polito »

JM in the building, that is really great to see - God bless coach.

Love the thanks for Farrelly, well deserved.

Good thanks for the team.

Great intro to Speedy, and noting his passion, his quality, his ability.

A little expected hot air right at the start:

'highly sought after job' ... 'a great job'

Yep, 100%. SO WHERE WERE THE CANDIDATES?

I give Cole credit though, he's a good presenter, seems like a good guy, and an even better BSer to cover up the nonsense from this admin.

That said, I'm warming up to this as it is just such a feel good story, and damn I love me some Speedy Claxton - I want this to work so badly it hurts lol - please for the love of all that is good give him everything he needs to build a dominant champion!

LUCKY NUMBER 13, ROLL PRIDE :!:
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

joeg1 wrote:That's a good point Wags. Many teams can get one or two all-league type players. But often it's 3 through 8 who separate the winners from the also-rans.

3-8 is as much coaching as it is talent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Watching... quite interested to hear this and gauge the feel.
Am I missing something?
Did it just end after Speedy spoke?
No Q&A?
If I was cut out - and missed something - that sucks.
If thats is how it ended with no Q&A - that was weak.
What I saw was a very emotional appreciative sincere Speedy - he was emotional with every person he mentioned he named EXCEPT when he mentioned President Rabinowitz - as soon as he mention Rabinowitz he straightened up - LOL - seriously he did.
Hello Speedy Good Bye Rabinowitz - hopefully that will be a good trade for our Basketball Team and Hofstra Athletics.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Speedy super emotional after being introduced. Thought his sniffling at the beginning was covid . Wish I could have heard more but feed kept freezing on me.

Definitely feel for Mike who will be a big loss for the program and hoping he has another good job in the works.

Speedy did pay his dues and as mentioned before you can't have two head coaches. Maybe he wouldn't have stayed on as Farrelly's assistant and they had to pick between the two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Speedy very emotional as he should be...someone should have gotten him a hankerchief or at least some tissues.

Great that Joe and Mary were there...strong support for this hire...and Speedy really welled up when he spoke of Joe...good to see.

As so the Polit Bureau continues...No Q and A....that's not a press conference it's a presentation.

Anxious to see who Speedy hires as assistants and whether we dig into the Transfer portal...NEED SOME BIGS AND SHOOTERS!