Hope he's a LEADER.
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

And let's hope he signs with us??
Cards

Post by Cards »

So NE, CoC, W&M, Towson, and UNCW all have filled their open scholarships for next season. Even with HU signing Ray, we still have 3 open spots. Holding one open for a transfer who unexpectedly becomes available is prudent. We still need talent at PG and PF for next year. Not sure how TG and ST are gong to develop, but sure could use a Koons type 6'8" who can go inside or out (maybe ST will be that guy, IDK). I know its early, but I don't think TG is big enough to fill that role.

Well I certainly hope JM has HU in the minds of several top level recruits! The recruits that are left to be had, that is!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I was feeling much more uncomfortable with things like you've noted Cards until gaining some more insight. I mentioned previously that they are very high on the talents of Ray, so hopefully all works out well for him being on board

They will likely not fill all spots - looks like another G with experience (clearly hoping it's either a guy that can dish or one that can shoot the lights out - or BOTH!), and a developing big - the big will likely need to RS, and most ready-to-start guys won't be interested in sitting behind Gustys for a year - so a guy they can groom is likely...

I think hopes are high for ST as well - IMO he's going to be the primary stretch 4 by his Soph yr once Greer is gone.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Still no official announcement on Ray with early signing period well past us...could be grades or maybe he is being recruited at higher level now?
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Looks like we just offered a JUCO PG..

https://twitter.com/LamarBigs/status/80 ... gr%5Etweet
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We need one....for next year...only Desure at the point next year...rehabbing...goes in for surgery on Thursday
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Based on some twitter reports, it looks like Jalen Ray had a tremendous game tonight. 34 points and many in the clutch. He's getting tons of twitter love tonight. Loving this pickup more each day.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wonder if this was a result of Speedy's recent recruiting the other day...

Goes right along with my understanding of their desire to bring in an experienced guard for next yr - agreed, one will be needed. Hoping for the best with Buie, but can't take the chance, and he will need help either way.

CSI is a strong program, and seems to have HU's attention this past year or two - will have to dig deeper for insight on this fella.

Ray is a talent, no question at this point. Still says he's a Hofstra commit, though I have not heard of officially signing the dotted line yet...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We had two bigs at the Kentucky game...one is a surefire D1 standout, the other, his bother I believe is borderline...stay tuned
Cards

Post by Cards »

We had two bigs at the Kentucky game...one is a surefire D1 standout, the other, his bother I believe is borderline...stay tuned
HUSID80 - how about a little taste, the anticipations if killing me :D :D

I assume these are guys HU is actively going after, correct?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good intel HUSID - I don't expect names, but can you confirm class years?

Curious if this is potentially immediate help or future.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Good intel HUSID - I don't expect names, but can you confirm class years?

Curious if this is potentially immediate help or future.
Looks like both are juniors...we'll need to wait a bit
Cards

Post by Cards »

I get a little nervous when it looks like JM is waiting for Rok and the other bigs to leave before going after their replacements. I know that 2 years down the road we'll have experience at the 1,2 and 3, but I would rather not see those guys playing with freshman bigs. I realize its tough to bring in a stud 5 this year and then ask him to sit most of his freshman year.

I think next year will be a good year for us, at least that's the way the roster is shaping up. Hope its not a rebuild at the 4 & 5 the year after that.

I hope there is something concrete going on behind the scenes to bolster next years roster!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:I get a little nervous when it looks like JM is waiting for Rok and the other bigs to leave before going after their replacements. I know that 2 years down the road we'll have experience at the 1,2 and 3, but I would rather not see those guys playing with freshman bigs. I realize its tough to bring in a stud 5 this year and then ask him to sit most of his freshman year.

I think next year will be a good year for us, at least that's the way the roster is shaping up. Hope its not a rebuild at the 4 & 5 the year after that.

I hope there is something concrete going on behind the scenes to bolster next years roster!
Don't forget we do have Trueheart redshirting. I know he isn't expected to be as good as Rok but hopefully he can develop these two years into a starter for us.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ray recently had a monster game against their in-state rival, coming out on top on OT. He poured in 34 points, and scored 8 of Hampton's 10 in OT. This kid is a baller. The opponent Bethel has a 6'11 4 star Providence commit that he worked over to foul out. Looking more and more like he's the type of 'killer' on the court I desire in every recruit. Starting to salivate at the collective guard talent...

As for the bigs, remember I have stated that the staff feels it's going to be extremely difficult to get a big time post guy while Rok is still here. Plus Sabety and Walker. Have to agree, can't imagine an impact big committing in this class just to sit, unless it's a transfer, which could work out nicely. Other option is to try for a more developmental big in '17 and a big time player in '18.

IMO Trueheart is not a center - I do not see him playing Rok's position - to me he's a great sized 4, and should add value there starting next season. Likely the starter there his Soph year after Greer graduates.

HU was out at Upper Room scouting again... my guess is for Osbel, although there is at least one more talented guard there they're looking at. I know they want to see Osbel show out against tough competition, but so far he's proving it in every opportunity - I maintain my stance, that young man can play.

And will repeat, the Lithuanian Kupsas LuHi should be a TOP '18 target for HU. That's a guy HU should go all out for, and a highly talented one they can land. He will be a steal.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I completely agree with Polito about Ray.
On Youtube there are a bunch of highlights from his 34 point game last week vs. Bethel...he is awesome.
He has speed and quickness like Powers has good vision and plays D too! Explosive speed and a leaper like JWF.
They get nice crowds for their rivalry games and Ray appears to thrive in the atmosphere. Another great guard in the HU tradition! Still thinking Powers (from Hampton) made an impression on Ray but don't know for sure. He also reminds me of Loren Stokes but maybe a better outside shot. A great get for HU!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Now we need three more for this class...who might they be?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Ray has not signed which is a bit puzzling...hope I am wrong but this has prep school written all over it
Polito

Post by Polito »

No insight to that scenario gary, but hey certainly can't rule it out either until we see the dotted line. Obviously still the other signing period so let's see. Got no indication other than he's good to go, but you are right, the paperwork is not official yet. We'll see...

As for Osbel, well, Upper Room just battled a big time Putnam Science squad in a FL tourney barely dropping a 108-106 contest (guess no one plays D anymore lol) - Putnam is legit, filled with D1 / P5 talent, and Mr Caraballo dropped 30pts and 11rbs

This is exactly the kind of proof needed in his Sr yr to backup his breakout Jr season. And frankly, this young man performs in EVERY single game, no matter the opponent - now he's proving it consistently against top competition. No games off, doesn't play to the opponent, plays to his own ability every single time - THAT is the kind of 'killer' I want on the court.

'17 class. Boy can ball. Would love this young man at HU. Go get 'em Speedy.

PS Their two other stud guards dropped double-digits too, '18 sharpshooter Lester Quinones (26, 5 3's) and '18 Carlos Lemus (18pts 7ast). UR is on the rise, and I believe HU is going all in on this program - and I love it.