NCAA or NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchalum01

NCAA or NIT

Post by dutchalum01 »

The A10 should absolutely 100% be our goal. The unfortunate "info" I've heard over the past couple seasons is Siena wound be next in line. If it means taking someone out over at the A10 with the independent "contractors" Louisville employs, let's do it - however, I believe the commissioner in that conference is a woman - maybe find her a real life Magic Mike and get this thing done. End of the day we need respect - and that comes with winning.
stuball888

Re: NCAA or NIT

Post by stuball888 »

want another city school just add manhattan.
NiagaraFan

Post by NiagaraFan »

Congratulations to all of you Hofstra fans on your terrific last couple of seasons. Joe really dug you guys out of a hole and you all should be proud of your program. That said, and being a Mihalich supporter, I have to say that JAM schedules to win the MAAC by playing teams that are similar to the CAA opposition rather than schedule bigs for the money and experience. That's just his philosophy. Hence, you are shut out from the NCAA's and rightfully so. In the MAAC, if you want to get in you have to win your tournament. Without that there are too many teams that outplay and out-schedule you every year. JAM knows what his strengths are and doesn't push the envelope. As you can see by the Monmouths and St Bona's, if you don't win it all you have a small chance of getting in. Our local school besides Niagara, University at Buffalo had to win it all in the MAC or they would have been a NIT team, and that's MAYBE a NIT team, even though they won 20 games. Don't complain about being snubbed bu the NCAA's. You don't belong there....and I consider myself a Pride fan too!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

What da heck are you guys talking about?? You want to play regularly against Binghamton, LIU, and Wagner :shock: Well those certainly would be 6 conference games that would really help the ole RPI!

Cmon guys, lets aim higher. I want to play games against the upper half of the A10. You want local, lets get some OCC games against StJohns, Rutgers, Georgetown, UConn, Seton Hall. There will always be easy games added into our schedule, but lets try and play top competition when we can. This is the way to put fans in the seats - give them good quality basketball with bigger names. Other than for a SBU or an Iona matchup against HU, nobody will come to watch!.

We have a solid coach, a program putting money in, real good trends in recruiting... etc. Lets take the program as far as we can :P
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The Shadow wrote:Fordham is not going to be in a local conference with Wagner, LIU, and Iona. It is academically at a much higher level. I really do not see that mix occurring. Also, with any new conference, the NCAA would not allow the conference into the NCAAT for a few seasons.
Totally agree... never happen... the mids should reduce their number of teams in each conference to the absolute minimum... to multiply chances for bids... ten is too many schools...I think the minimum is 8...we should all move to 8 and start new mid-major conferences!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Interesting - our schedule had us playing 2 of the #1 Seeds in the NIT St B (beat them on the road) and South Carolina (lost to them and a neutral sight) - we also beat Florida State (at a neutral sight) a NIT #4 seed - we wind up being a #5 seed??!!??

StB, South Carolina, Florida State and Hofstra are all in different parts of the NIT bracket and if they all win out that WOULD be a the NIT Final Four.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

My conference would have 8 local teams perfect. Ok John where do we begin
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

By killing off all our other sports
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

actually most of those schools have the same sports as Hofstra except for wrestling and field hockey
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

As a charter member we make the rules of the conference and have veto power.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

But come on Stu not at the same level
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Since this is all about the $$$$ and the NCAA is basically rudderless, one of you smart lawyers needs to sue them. They clearly operate for perpetuation of the institution and are biased against several its members in doing so. That should meet any criteria for a conspiracy.

WHEN they are sued, they will lose.

UGH !!!! I am ticked .....
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It will be a step down but there are some talent on those teams
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Never happening so pointless debating. We need to make best of CAA and hopefully new commissioner will be beneficial to us.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Sorry for changing the most recent topic within this, but notice the pic SI uses here: https://twitter.com/SInow/status/709496857299447809
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

The CAA has potential to be a great conference once again. I would MUCH rather be in the A10, but I think that is a pipe dream for us for now.. No other conference I would rather be in than the CAA unless it is the A10..
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wags wrote:Sorry for changing the most recent topic within this, but notice the pic SI uses here: https://twitter.com/SInow/status/709496857299447809
What I find weird about that picture is the fact that you can only clearly read "Hofstra" on the jersey and not "Stony Brook", which is one of the teams they actually talk about. Anyone just seeing that tweet would think Hofstra is mentioned in that article, and probably not even know what the other team in the picture is.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Didn't mean for this thread to go this way - I was just expressing my extreme frustration with all the BS in the CAA and how it hasn't benefited or fought for HU one single iota - just used and abused IMO

And I did say there's nowhere to go, and that in itself is annoying

But I will say this: I now realize my entire disgust in the CAA over the last 15 yrs lies with one single lazy biased good ol boy full of it person who has been in charge of it all...

And he is now gone!!! Ding dong! Wizard of Oz tune anyone?! :P

So yes, NOW this conf has a fighting chance to actually be something again, and HU has a shot to finally be one of the key programs that takes full advantage and benefits tremendously - time will tell, but with a new leader, there is hope...
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Exactly- I don't think it's the conference, I think it was the leadership of the conference.

More importantly, I'll throw out my semi-monthly "we should have a hockey team here" line. If you want interest in the school, believe me, that'll do it! Costs be damned- you'll earn it back, and more!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HofstraHockey wrote:Exactly- I don't think it's the conference, I think it was the leadership of the conference.

More importantly, I'll throw out my semi-monthly "we should have a hockey team here" line. If you want interest in the school, believe me, that'll do it! Costs be damned- you'll earn it back, and more!
Nassau Coliseum needs a tenant, let's get a Kickstarter going!