Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by triplec2195 »

So looking at his body of work at Penn he was a good player as a freshmen scoring 7.5 points a game getting 20 minutes. He's a good FT shooter shot 39% from beyond the arc and was rookie of the week 4 times as a freshman. He got hurt in his sophomore year and only played in a few games. His junior year there was no basketball in the IVY league. So this past year played limited minutes until the last few games of the year where he got 25 minutes against Dartmouth and scored 13 points and had 10 points against Princeton. I think his injury or injuries hampered him so if he comes in healthy he could be a big plus. He looks to be a very solid, fundamentally sound and seasoned basketball player. A three star player ranked the 8th best player coming out of Michigan in his senior year of H.S. I like this continued Penn pipeline getting us quality players. He will come off the bench giving us quality minutes.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:So looking at his body of work at Penn he was a good player as a freshmen scoring 7.5 points a game getting 20 minutes. He's a good FT shooter shot 39% from beyond the arc and was rookie of the week 4 times as a freshman. He got hurt in his sophomore year and only played in a few games. His junior year there was no basketball in the IVY league. So this past year played in limited minutes until the last few games of the year where he got 25 minutes against Dartmouth and scored 13 points and had 10 points against Princeton. I think his injury or injuries hampered him so if he comes in healthy he could be a big plus. He looks to be a very solid fundamentally sound and seasoned basketball player. A three star player ranked the 9th best player coming out of Michigan in his senior year of H.S. I like this continued Penn pipeline getting us quality players. He will come off the bench giving us quality minutes.
Speaking of “continued…pipeline(s)”… Jay Wright resigns from Villanova… his replacement Kyle Neptune-who’s resume includes being a Assistant for JAM at Niagara
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:So looking at his body of work at Penn he was a good player as a freshmen scoring 7.5 points a game getting 20 minutes. He's a good FT shooter shot 39% from beyond the arc and was rookie of the week 4 times as a freshman. He got hurt in his sophomore year and only played in a few games. His junior year there was no basketball in the IVY league. So this past year played in limited minutes until the last few games of the year where he got 25 minutes against Dartmouth and scored 13 points and had 10 points against Princeton. I think his injury or injuries hampered him so if he comes in healthy he could be a big plus. He looks to be a very solid fundamentally sound and seasoned basketball player. A three star player ranked the 9th best player coming out of Michigan in his senior year of H.S. I like this continued Penn pipeline getting us quality players. He will come off the bench giving us quality minutes.
Speaking of “continued…pipeline(s)”… Jay Wright resigns from Villanova… his replacement Kyle Neptune-who’s resume includes being a Assistant for JAM at Niagara
Wow that's nuts what's the motivation behind this?? A real shocker for me!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Just spoke with my youngest (who is graduating from Nova in a few weeks), she said everyone is in shock. No insight into why this decision was reached.
Hopefully he stays on is some capacity.

Just received the below email:
Dear Members of the Villanova Community,

We would like to start by expressing our immense gratitude to Jay Wright, who today announced his retirement from coaching, for his incredible leadership of Villanova Men’s Basketball for the past 21 years. He has led our storied program with class, humility and grace, leaving an indelible impact on this community.

Jay’s legacy at Villanova extends well beyond the numerous awards, accolades and championships. He will be forever known to our community as Villanova’s winningest coach, who did things the “Wright” way, guiding, developing and empowering the student-athletes who played for him to not only be better on the basketball court but also in their personal lives. Jay taught us all the true meaning of “ATTITUDE,” so, on behalf of everyone associated with Villanova Basketball, we would like to express our overwhelming “GRATITUDE” for everything he has done for Villanova.

Jay and his wife, Patty, have always been tremendous ambassadors for the University and our Augustinian mission by embodying what it means to be a Villanovan: selfless, humble and caring while being driven, determined and competitive. Villanova is a better University for Jay being a part of it, which is why we are delighted that he has agreed to stay on at Villanova as Special Assistant to the President. In this role, Jay will be involved in fundraising, advising, education and more for the University.

NEXT CHAPTER
Over the past two decades, Jay and his staff have built an enviable, world-class basketball program at Villanova. When looking for a successor, we wanted a candidate who could provide continuity for what Jay has built, and who could navigate the changing landscape of collegiate athletics keeping Villanova in a position of strength—now and in the future. After meeting with several exceptional candidates, we found all those attributes and more in Villanova’s new William B. Finneran Endowed Head Coach, Kyle Neptune.

Kyle quickly stood out for his basketball knowledge, recruiting savvy and natural ability to connect with student-athletes and coaches. He most recently served as the head coach of Fordham University. Prior to Fordham, Kyle served two stints on Jay’s staff over the course of a decade. While an assistant coach at Villanova, the team averaged 30.7 wins per season and captured five BIG EAST regular-season tournament titles and a pair of NCAA national championships. A native of Brooklyn, New York, Kyle played four seasons of college basketball at Lehigh University.

Please join us in congratulating Kyle and welcoming him back to Villanova. He is eager to get started and return to the Villanova community. Also, in the months ahead, we will come together to honor Jay and Patty and recognize his more than two decades as the Head Coach of Villanova Men’s Basketball. More to come on that, but as we say, it’s a great day to be a Wildcat!

Sincerely,

Rev. Peter M. Donohue, OSA
President

Mark Jackson
Vice President and Director of Athletics
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Just spoke with my youngest (who is graduating from Nova in a few weeks), she said everyone is in shock. No insight into why this decision was reached.
Hopefully he stays on is some capacity.

Just received the below email:
Dear Members of the Villanova Community,

We would like to start by expressing our immense gratitude to Jay Wright, who today announced his retirement from coaching, for his incredible leadership of Villanova Men’s Basketball for the past 21 years. He has led our storied program with class, humility and grace, leaving an indelible impact on this community.

Jay’s legacy at Villanova extends well beyond the numerous awards, accolades and championships. He will be forever known to our community as Villanova’s winningest coach, who did things the “Wright” way, guiding, developing and empowering the student-athletes who played for him to not only be better on the basketball court but also in their personal lives. Jay taught us all the true meaning of “ATTITUDE,” so, on behalf of everyone associated with Villanova Basketball, we would like to express our overwhelming “GRATITUDE” for everything he has done for Villanova.

Jay and his wife, Patty, have always been tremendous ambassadors for the University and our Augustinian mission by embodying what it means to be a Villanovan: selfless, humble and caring while being driven, determined and competitive. Villanova is a better University for Jay being a part of it, which is why we are delighted that he has agreed to stay on at Villanova as Special Assistant to the President. In this role, Jay will be involved in fundraising, advising, education and more for the University.

NEXT CHAPTER
Over the past two decades, Jay and his staff have built an enviable, world-class basketball program at Villanova. When looking for a successor, we wanted a candidate who could provide continuity for what Jay has built, and who could navigate the changing landscape of collegiate athletics keeping Villanova in a position of strength—now and in the future. After meeting with several exceptional candidates, we found all those attributes and more in Villanova’s new William B. Finneran Endowed Head Coach, Kyle Neptune.

Kyle quickly stood out for his basketball knowledge, recruiting savvy and natural ability to connect with student-athletes and coaches. He most recently served as the head coach of Fordham University. Prior to Fordham, Kyle served two stints on Jay’s staff over the course of a decade. While an assistant coach at Villanova, the team averaged 30.7 wins per season and captured five BIG EAST regular-season tournament titles and a pair of NCAA national championships. A native of Brooklyn, New York, Kyle played four seasons of college basketball at Lehigh University.

Please join us in congratulating Kyle and welcoming him back to Villanova. He is eager to get started and return to the Villanova community. Also, in the months ahead, we will come together to honor Jay and Patty and recognize his more than two decades as the Head Coach of Villanova Men’s Basketball. More to come on that, but as we say, it’s a great day to be a Wildcat!

Sincerely,

Rev. Peter M. Donohue, OSA
President

Mark Jackson
Vice President and Director of Athletics
You guys should check out the Off Topic posts once in a while. :D
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Our “pipeline” is Penn Assistant Coach Joe Mihalich.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes for sure I did think most people knew this. TY
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Does anyone have a feeling re Quinn Blair 6'7 225 transferring from W&M. HE'S A HARD NOSE KID who could fit in here. I wonder if we tried to get him or even have an interest. With so many kids in the portal it's like a kid walking into a candy store just too many choices!! Lol
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Bryce Washington showing off his dunking abilities; https://youtu.be/tBDno0LM_Ws
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:1,424, as of this moment:

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2022
We also are still working through players that have an extra year of eligibility due to the 2020-21 season not counting for anyone. So there really is a whole extra years worth of players right now. That will start to work it’s way out over the next few years.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:Bryce Washington showing off his dunking abilities; https://youtu.be/tBDno0LM_Ws
Very impressive.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The more I look at highlights of this kid the more I begin to think that he actually could be a starter here. I believe he has 2 more years of eligibility with his injuries and covid rules and if he's healthy this is a very strong get for Speedy and crew.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Elijah Olaniyi has entered the transfer portal again. He originally transferred from Miami to Stony Brook and was their leading scorer two years ago scoring 18 points a game. The 6'5 guard has been hampered by injuries ever since. A loss for SB for sure.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Bryce Washington is really a total unknown - don't know what to make of this pickup - has next to nothing to go off of - had a very solid freshman campaign, then as noted injuries and COVID year, this is a wild card player - could be a sleeper take, a solid scout / bench guy, or a star lol.

An experienced D1 guy from a program we can trust at least (albeit not a super winning one), glad he is fully healthy, let's see what he can do.

No interest in Blair tc, personally - like I've said before, HU needs to go after winners from winning programs - we need to elevate the culture here with guys that don't just hope won day they win, but they fully expect and demand to.

We've already got a Sacred Heart guy - love the player but not thrilled about his program - we don't need anymore players who have been taught how to lose and are, even worse, accepting of it because they know it's 'just the way it is'. That's already at Hofstra. Part of the problem. I want to see urgency to win, and guys that come in with a chip to do so right out of the gate.

Would really like to see the next recruits coming from top end spots that can bring their winning attitude and mentality to HU.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:The more I look at highlights of this kid the more I begin to think that he actually could be a starter here. I believe he has 2 more years of eligibility with his injuries and covid rules and if he's healthy this is a very strong get for Speedy and crew.
Washington has a number of recent videos on YouTube, including game highlights. He seems to shoot the three more than he drives to the hoop, but that may just be a function of the UPenn offense.

Also, he suffered a major wrist injury and has two years of eligibility left.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:The more I look at highlights of this kid the more I begin to think that he actually could be a starter here. I believe he has 2 more years of eligibility with his injuries and covid rules and if he's healthy this is a very strong get for Speedy and crew.
Washington has a number of recent videos on YouTube, including game highlights. He seems to shoot the three more than he drives to the hoop, but that may just be a function of the UPenn offense.

Also, he suffered a major wrist injury and has two years of eligibility left.
Yeah JoJo I believe this is a really good find. He was highly thought of coming out of the state of Michigan where he was rated the 8th best player in the state. He had a strong freshman year and wasn't healthy after that also missed a year due to Covid. We might have found a gem here.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Bryce Washington is really a total unknown - don't know what to make of this pickup - has next to nothing to go off of - had a very solid freshman campaign, then as noted injuries and COVID year, this is a wild card player - could be a sleeper take, a solid scout / bench guy, or a star lol.

An experienced D1 guy from a program we can trust at least (albeit not a super winning one), glad he is fully healthy, let's see what he can do.

No interest in Blair tc, personally - like I've said before, HU needs to go after winners from winning programs - we need to elevate the culture here with guys that don't just hope won day they win, but they fully expect and demand to.

We've already got a Sacred Heart guy - love the player but not thrilled about his program - we don't need anymore players who have been taught how to lose and are, even worse, accepting of it because they know it's 'just the way it is'. That's already at Hofstra. Part of the problem. I want to see urgency to win, and guys that come in with a chip to do so right out of the gate.

Would really like to see the next recruits coming from top end spots that can bring their winning attitude and mentality to HU.
Hear what you r saying here Polito but in reference to Thomas I thought the same thing level of competition just like Cooks who played in the America East but I looked at some box scores of Sacred Heart games and this kid Thomas had some high scoring games against strong high major programs. I know Speedy and company has already taken this into consideration. I understand the Blair feeling just was curious as to what people thought but thanks for at least offering an opinion.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I know it's NOW a moot issue but how sweet would it have been to land Curbelo who transferred to St John's from Illinois. I bet Speedy made a pitch for him. We would be a very improved team with him running the point.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I certainly agree that Thomas has skill and is a very good pickup. But Cooks lit up every team he played, including P5's. Didn't do a dang thing to help HU be a champion. Thomas is not even at the same level, so as I said a little bit ago, I think he can replace Ray's lack of results, but he's not going to replace Cooks. I don't see anyone yet who will. Perhaps if they can actually produce a TEAM they won't need to have the hero ball the entire team played with all year.

This isn't about the skill set for guys like that. Estrada, Ray, and Cooks all had plenty of skill. But they were poor together and never played as a team. I largely blame the staff for that failure. Total waste. Whatever leadership style they approached that with bombed, and I hope they have learned a lot from it. Speedy is WAY too loose in his approach. He needs to take much stronger command of his team.

Holloway mastered this, and it was very clear to all - his guys had plenty of freedom to be themselves and play their game, BUT he made darn sure they did so within the specific parameters he set - they played HIS game plan, not their own made up crap on the fly. He had FULL control over that squad. I don't see that yet with Speedy. His team displayed street ball more than team ball. That doesn't win, simple as that. This isn't about being their buddy and friend, this is about being their LEADER. It needs to be very clear who the boss is. Hierarchy exists for a reason. His team displayed ZERO discipline on the floor way too often, that's a sign of improper / unbalanced leadership, and that's why he sat on the couch watching others in the dance.

Get winning players in here with grit, and lead them properly. I want a program that will play loose and have fun showcasing their abilities, but very clearly understands their purpose, role, and the 'rules' of the game plan. Show me that, and HU dances. Another year of the BS we saw, if I see no learning and adjustment from this staff, and this will all go nowhere for another 20 years, no matter how much skill they bring in.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We just got a commitment from Nelson Boachie-Yiadom, 6-8 forward from Davidson.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcqwSZ6IBSs ... MyMTA2M2Y=