MBB Game 25 vs W&M on February 9, 2019 - Sold out

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: MBB Game 25 vs W&M on February 9, 2019 - Sold out

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

cactus wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:I re-watched the game last night to see why our defense got ripped up, and I have to say it was a great job by W&M to move our zone out of place, and getting Knight mismatches inside. I've seen a few of their games, it was probably their best performance of the year.
Can't take away both the 3 pointer and the paint with a zone D. Hofstra strictly plays zone to save legs for offense, and extends their zone out to the 3 point line, so the middle is open for business for a team with a skilled big man. It's why they couldn't stop Maryland, either.
I agree, it's a strategic gamble that has worked for us this year, especially in the CAA that has a lack of talented PF/C this year. But we have to be more disciplined to not give up the easy looks we did, especially in the first half. Left JT on an island too much IMO.

W&M was running a forward into the paint to draw JT out, and then moving Knight back in for a layup. Our guards had to be more prepared for the motion though. Also, W&M has cut down on their 3 point attempts, they've been streaky from beyond the arc, I don't think we expected them to just go inside all game. I thought we got more disciplined down the stretch in the 2nd half, but JT foul trouble, and Dwyer's ineffectiveness against their forwards hurt us.

And Joe, I don't think we really pressed more, we played some full court, it was real soft, just a way to slow them down from getting into their offense. It didn't seem like we were trying to force the turnovers in the full court, Buie definitely has a knack for getting steals off the inbounds though. Like Cactus said, we're always trying to save legs on defense. It was an uptempo game though, fastest paced D-1 game we played this year. Kind of crazy for two teams with such short benches, and I thought W&M was pushing that pace too.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

You need to take into account that this team is bigger then we're. The fact that Coburn picked up two fouls early the second one was a foolish foul we came in with Ray. They had 6'10" and 6'7" as starters we subbed 6'4" for a 6'2". Their size was a factor and they did out rebound us but we were able to somewhat neutralize their size when we subbed in Trueheart who had a respectable game. We needed Stafford because they also subbed in Rowley who is 6'8" and who didn't miss a shot & played 14 minutes. He also hit a long shot at the top of the key. In the first game Knight went for 31 and in this game 39. He has big games against us but we had to pick our poison and kept their guards from having a field day. I think we just don't have the size to contain them but we were able to penetrate both Buie and Justin which was the difference in the game especially down the stretch. Winning is the bottom line but I wouldn't want to bank on Justin having to score 40 points to win. I'd rather see a more balanced offense.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Exactly why a lot of us have continued to say that ST is still an important and needed piece, and why some of us have harped on the fact he needs to be focused coached and developed at the 4 rather than the 5. Having him and JT on the floor for that game was absolutely vital, and a huge boost to countering their attack in the paint.

There are prob a few opponents / games where that would / will be very valuable, and I can see it being super valuable in the NCAAT against P5 rosters.

Coburn is a tremendous talent, but still has some maturing to do - no knock, just a reality of this being his first year starting in college, getting major minutes, and being counted on to make a big impact. Too often he takes himself out of games, either by foolish early fouls, or by lacking the aggressiveness that seems to be the heart of his game.

I would expect this to improve next year, and for him to really become a beast his Sr year.

Until then, ST is a very useful piece to the puzzle, and just proved his value to remain at his natural correct position - he just needs some maturity and acceptance of what his game is and should be. Having a 6'8 4 that can defend, rebound, stretch the opponent D, and add the occasional points to go along with 6'10 JT is a nice card to pull in certain games/situations. Wouldn't surprise me if he's needed again soon and in the CAAT. Hope he keeps his head on straight and plays the role properly!

Next year Kante is going to be a load in the middle, I think it's going to be some battle between him and Knight - Knight is super talented, but I'm thinking it will be a lot harder for him and that team to abuse the post region like they did.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good points made here but just as Coburn is really a redshirt freshman since he played very little as a freshman similar to what Justin did his freshman year Kante will be like a freshman next year. He may bang with Knight but don't expect him to win that battle one on one. Knight is a polished player that's going to score and when he gets fouled he's almost automatic from the FT line. Taylor had his hands full against Knight and he was used to practicing with Caleb Swanigan who was drafted in the first round of the NBA. My feeling is that while most of us believe that Kante is going to be a plus for us he will need time to develop.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Knight will be back next season, but Elon's Tyler Seibring (who shoots a ton of threes for a forward) and many forwards who shoot little to no threes are seniors. Northeastern's Anthony Green, Delaware's Eric Carter, Charleston's Jarrell Brantley and Nick Harris (who's having his worst season as a senior), UNCW's Devontae Cacok and Shawn O'Connell (a graduate transfer), James Madison's Develle Phillips, and Towson's Alex Thomas will be gone.