THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:Bad time to go cold. JAM needed to call a timeout before the U-8 media timeout.
that was absolutely the time for a TO - from 8 minutes to 4 minutes you could literally see the fatigue setting in as each second tick passed on - we had 3 TO's at that point
Iv'e said it before, but all season long, he likes to take time outs with a lead after HU makes a bucket, especially in the second half rather than using them to stop another team's run or to save them for a late-game situation. And I don't get why you use your time outs in that way. It figures that last night, with :05.2 left in regulation, the late time out they saved for once, hurt them because when the official gave them the ball on the wrong side of the floor out of that time out, they were screwed up and couldn't run what they planned, how they planned it in the huddle.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Sorry Wags - you can argue all you want - they were GASSED! Yes they almost hung on - a credit to their heart and desire to win. Yes, if they made one more shot in regulation they win - But they didn't and even if they did - they still were GASSED - just hung on to win. Everyone could see it - they walked it up, they held onto the ball until late in the shot clock, nobody was moving, nobody wanted to shoot - AG got stuck with the ball His shots were so far off - he was bent over constantly - all signs of fatigue. I believe AT that he wasn't tired - but all the other starters were. Players and coaches are NEVER going to admit their team was tired - just doesn't happen. Players and coaches don't make excuses - they just give credit to the other side. If they weren't tired they were tight - and they won't admit to that either (although I don't think that was the case). Why wasn't UNCW not - maybe because of their style of play - in any event a heartbreaking loss - feel sorry for the seniors.
Hopefully they get an NIT HG against a name opponent and they "show up" for game. There is 0 shot at NCAA bid - not even worth discussing.
An interesting point JM brought up on WFAN before game - said they practiced zone for 11 minutes prior to using it for season. Looked like it. WTF is BB chasing ball all over the place - it's a freakin' zone. He goes out too far - gets "picked" off and the whole defense is compromised - and how about the foul he committed at midcourt ? Clueless! Can't believe staff hasn't told him to stay put.
I have not been an advocate of JWF - but I thought he did well in his limited opportunities and really wanted him in game towards the end - they needed some energy which he could have supplied - really the opposite of conventional thinking (normally go with your best down stretch) - but even JM went for DB over DK
I do not share the optimism many of you have re next year - losing way too much but you never know. They do need a quality wing though!
One last item - met Polito at last HG and although he gets wound up on the board found him quite the gentleman in person!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Jojogunne wrote:
Tough way to make the back page of Newsday.
This was a REALLY poor job by Newsday. They could have covered the team better on many occasions. Winning the conference should have been the back page over a Spring Training Wheeler update. Then they go and plaster our most devastating loss on the back cover. Shameful way to cover a local sports story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

So typical of Newsday...did it blow out SBU's big win over Hartford....such a joke!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Not to worry HUSID80 SBU still has to play Vermont at home. Early this year Vermont best SBU by 15 at SBU. Plenty of time for SNU to crap the bed
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: If they weren't tired they were tight
That's a huge difference. And that I believe. They didn't look stagnant after 30 minutes because of fatigue, they looked stagnant more because they couldn't handle the pressure of the moment and because they were waiting for Green to take over down the stretch like he often has. But UNCW wasn't having it. I asked Keatts about that and he said the plan was to let anyone else but the POY beat them. He said they constantly wanted to try to force the ball out of Green's hands or make it as difficult as possible for him. Really didn't need him to say that. We could all see it. And no one else on HU wanted to take that upon themselves from the 10-minute mark on.

Green not admitting he was tired, could have been simply been player speak, but I don't think so. But look at the postgame, the way Tanskley said it. He for sure wasn't tired, which is why he pointed to the execution.

Green also acknowledged after the semifinal game that it would be his first conference title game in his four years. I think he was thinking about it. And although I love everything he's done to lead Hofstra and put Hofstra back on the map, he played as though the moment was too big for him. We don't want to admit that, because he's our guy, representing our team as the league POY. But if you look at it objectively, that's what happened to him. Could see it on his face, even in warmups. Just didn't have the same look he's at through most of the year, even in the prior two tourney games. Tanksley had, Gustys had it. They looked focused yet loose, and that's why they played well from the start.

You know what 4 of Green's 14 missed FGs were last night? FOUR second-half LAYUPS. The first was 90 seconds after halftime, way before he should have been that tired. The last 3 were in the final 4:38 of regulation when the UNCW crowd was loud, the title was at stake and he felt the pressure of having to do it himself with his temamtes standing around watching him (the way the Knicks have often stood around and watched Melo late in games).

Interesting that Green wasn't "GASSED" and didn't miss LAYUPS when he played 55 minutes through 3 OTs against Northeastern, and that he wasn't "GASSED" and didn't miss LAYUPS during a noon start, in a 28-point win over W&M, during which he had the game of his career the following Sunday.

Also interesting that I heard almost NOTHING here about anyone on the team being "GASSED" as they won 8 straight games until last night, or whenever they lost this season for that matter. Yet every time there was a loss, the "GASSED" stuff suddenly reappeared here out of nowhere. Depth is ideal for any team, of course, but it's funny how the comments about fatigue and depth only seemed to pop up after the 9 losses, but not after the 24 wins, with season.

You said it yourself above, and I do believe they got very tight as the pressure of the moment mounted late. And UNCW's defense, making someone else besides Green, who was unwilling to take that on, had a lot to do with it.

Another example of being tight: How many times has a normally level-headed guy like Koon been T'd up this year? How many times has a guy like that completely lost his cool for HU and done something really stupid like Koon did last night? It was a HUGE moment, as it gave UNCW two key points late and got the crowd into the game way more than it already was -- which only made Green and everyone else even tighter as the UNCW crowd drowned out HU fans, and as UNCW cut a 4-point lead to 2 in the final minutes thanks to those two technical foul shots. And yet on one else besides me here has uttered a single word about that tech, while focusing on the same tired (no pun intended) narrative.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

One of the biggest things a college player needs is confidence. When any player lacks that certain something, things that are normally easy change. Hit a shot, make a stop, drive to the basket,or make a play. All these just did not happen enough at the end. Most of this was due to UNCW. Credit to them. Wags, I agree with your conclusions. Once the DK technical foul was called, I had a very bad feeling about the end of the game. What was DK hoping to gain by his actions? Did he think his toss of the ball would not be noticed? Even if the refs did not see it in real time, replay would reveal it. It is more than 24 hours later and the loss still hurts. Thanks to all involved with HU basketball. The season is not over, on to the NIT! Sunday night should be interesting with the NIT brackets and seeds. I hope the team wins 5 in a row. I would be great for all of us to be at MSG on Thursday March 31st to see the nets cut down by JG and JAM.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Some of my final thoughts on the game before we continue with more MBB.

We've had lots of opinions, ideas, commentary, etc. as to why we didn't get the "W" Monday night. Bottom line is that most of what has been offered is correct. Also, what is true is that it was the combination of all these opinions that led to the outcome. There is absolutely no way that any one of these items was "the single item" that took us down. There is also no single play that took us down. Final thoughts on contributing factors:
Lack of Depth - We do not have the horses to implement a change in game strategy when a change is warranted. This is a tall order to have a roster with all the right players with all the right skill sets, and most teams do not have this luxury, and we did not either.
Execution down the stretch - regardless of the physical or mental causes (too tight, too wound up, or too tired) we did not come through.
UNCW tough defense - give them credit, we could not counter effectively or consistently the tough, pressuring defense.
Too much reliance on Green - most of our guys did not step up and show that they wanted to be the guy to make the big shot. I don't know if JM told them to keep going to Green or not, but he ended up being overloaded with the task to take control and score under these tough game conditions. I'm fine with that approach in the final minutes (as JG did this for us all year), but this went on for the final 6-8 minutes. In fact, I think it was the direct cause of several shot clock violations!
Key individual plays - again, no one play decided the game, however - Koon and the technical, shot clock violations, missed shots, no goal tending call on the slapping the backboard play (blatantly obvious and called on us the previous day, but here not called), refs giving us ball on wrong side of court for last play!
Championship game hype and pressure - I think all the season stats (both individual and team stats) can be tossed out for this type of 3 in 3 final game. How the players, and the coaches for that matter, prepare, react and adjust to this circumstance is simply unpredictable. Even for the guys who react to all this very well, no one can say they knew how they would react until they have been through it a number of times. Our guys had not been through games like it a number of times, hence none of us could say with certainty how they would play.

Ok - onward and upward. A solid NIT run would be a nice cherry on top of this season!
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Don't really have time now as conf tourney games are beginning and I have "work" to do but I don't think Green choked - You keep pointing out 1 game here and there - this was a cumulative effect of 3 in 3 - a concern the majority if not all of us had - and it played out just as we thought it might. Why you can't see what the majority sees is beyond me but - when guys miss by wide margins (including layups) and others don't cut after doing so earlier in game something is wrong. You want to say they choked - I don't believe it. Coach and players will never admit either.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote: Don't really have time now as conf tourney games are beginning and I have "work" to do but I don't think Green choked - You keep pointing out 1 game here and there - this was a cumulative effect of 3 in 3 - a concern the majority if not all of us had - and it played out just as we thought it might. Why you can't see what the majority sees is beyond me but - when guys miss by wide margins (including layups) and others don't cut after doing so earlier in game something is wrong.
That can't possibly be that the two-time COY and his staff made adjustments? Or that, forget HU's offense... HU's defense wasn't great down the stretch, UNCW made shots and as a result was able to set up their D a lot better, the same way they did in the quarterfinal game to beat Charleston, after trailing that game by 13 at the half. The same way that happened in Hempstead when Hofstra blew a 20-point lead. The same way UNCW did all season long. The championship game was only the latest example. Sometimes it's about the other team and what they do to prevent YOU from winning too.
ZMAN3 wrote: You want to say they choked - I don't believe it. Coach and players will never admit either.
Fans don't either, so they look for other reasons, like Hofstra was tired, because fans, like players and coaches, rarely want to admit that they weren't able to execute effectively enough, and that the other team was able to do so better.
richs

Post by richs »

I've been reading every ones posts for the last few days and I figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in. I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable about basketball as a lot of the people on this board seem to be. I've been a fan of HU BB since the CJ days. Along with everyone else, I found Mondays result very disappointing, especially for us fans and supporters. A win would have been a sweet and a great finish to a great season. Even though it was disappointing for us fans I'm sure it was devastating for the players. As far as the game is concerned here is my amateur observation. As someone already said ,60 % of our core 5 (JG, DK, BB) did not bring their A-game which for what ever reason happens to everyone once in a while. If its only one that's ok, Unfortunately it was all 3 at that game. But with that, HU still played a close game with a very good UNCW team. We stayed with them through regulation and almost through OT. A made shot here or there, a few more made free throws and the out come could have been in our favor. That's college basketball. Fun to watch but oh so stressful for fans. A games outcome can be decided in tenths of a second. With that said I am very, very proud of this team. They showed great talent and character. I attended about 7 home games this season and enjoyed every one of them (of course I should mention they won all the games I was at, lucky me). I look forward to watching HU in the NIT and I'm looking forward to next season. I think we have some great players coming up. It should be exciting.
Wags

Post by Wags »

richs wrote:I've been reading every ones posts for the last few days and I figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in. I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable about basketball as a lot of the people on this board seem to be. I've been a fan of HU BB since the CJ days. Along with everyone else, I found Mondays result very disappointing, especially for us fans and supporters. A win would have been a sweet and a great finish to a great season. Even though it was disappointing for us fans I'm sure it was devastating for the players. As far as the game is concerned here is my amateur observation. As someone already said ,60 % of our core 5 (JG, DK, BB) did not bring their A-game which for what ever reason happens to everyone once in a while. If its only one that's ok, Unfortunately it was all 3 at that game. But with that, HU still played a close game with a very good UNCW team. We stayed with them through regulation and almost through OT. A made shot here or there, a few more made free throws and the out come could have been in our favor. That's college basketball. Fun to watch but oh so stressful for fans. A games outcome can be decided in tenths of a second. With that said I am very, very proud of this team. They showed great talent and character. I attended about 7 home games this season and enjoyed every one of them (of course I should mention they won all the games I was at, lucky me). I look forward to watching HU in the NIT and I'm looking forward to next season. I think we have some great players coming up. It should be exciting.
I think the basic message here is something we can all agree on. This was a good season. Ultimately, a very disappointing and somewhat unlucky/unfortunate one, to be so close and not get it done. But also a mostly successful and very enjoyable season, especially when you look at where this program was only 2 and 3 years ago. This year's team went farther (by reaching the CAA finals) than any Hofstra team did in the past decade, did something no Hofstra team had ever done (by winning the regular season crown) since HU joined the CAA 14 years ago, has already won 7 more games (with the potential for more) than the program won in two years COMBINED, only 2 and 3 years ago, and added yet another player to a growing list of Hofstra CAA POY's when other teams in the league don't have any.

Those are all things to be very proud of, even though Monday night's loss still stings.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Definitely agree, it stings big time, and it will for awhile.

But there is a LOT to be proud of, and everyone should be. HU's best player, the conf POY, had an awful game at the worst time - there's no denying it, and he's said as much (THAT'S high character) - this team had no depth, there's no denying that, and it impacted at the worst time - other key guys had off games, and it hurt at the worst time - all kinds of stuff that has been noted

I love JM and Co., they are the right folks to lead this program to the promised land - but Keats proved he's COY - let's not forget that Keats is only in year 2, UNCW was also a dead program not so long ago, and he's had a share of the crown twice, and been to the title game twice - the man can coach.

Add in some talent and depth, and hey, there a tough team to beat. Credit big time to HU for being the team that could match them toe-to-toe with 6 guys!! I mean when you think of it, that is DAMN impressive

So, much love respect and appreciation to our guys, because hey, they're OUR guys - my hope is that the go into the NIT with the eye of the tiger, with the WILL to win, and the desire to make their mark - if they go in and play lifeless with a big home game like they did in last yrs home CBI Vermont game, then this will not help make their case as a program to be reckoned with

They need to pick themselves back up, remember that they are a conference champion in one of the best leagues in America, they are talented and well-coached, and that they CAN STILL CUT NETS

#MSGBOUND
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Polito wrote: I love JM and Co., they are the right folks to lead this program to the promised land - but Keats proved he's COY - let's not forget that Keats is only in year 2, UNCW was also a dead program not so long ago, and he's had a share of the crown twice, and been to the title game twice - the man can coach.
Hofstra and UNCW went through 2 different kinds of rebuilding. JAM arrived on campus to a completely gutted program, with only 4 players on the team. He had only a few months to scrounge together a team that could compete. UNCW on the other had, simply had an awful coach that was fired, the team was still there. Keatts had a more full roster to work with when he arrived, and some of those players had a lot of potential that Keatts was able to bring out of them. He was able to strategically pick which players he wanted to keep on the team (he did get rid of some), and was able to add a few good ones. JAM didn't have the luxury of weeding out players since he had so few to begin with. Bottom line, the work both coaches have done are respective schools thus far is impressive.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
Polito wrote: I love JM and Co., they are the right folks to lead this program to the promised land - but Keats proved he's COY - let's not forget that Keats is only in year 2, UNCW was also a dead program not so long ago, and he's had a share of the crown twice, and been to the title game twice - the man can coach.
Hofstra and UNCW went through 2 different kinds of rebuilding. JAM arrived on campus to a completely gutted program, with only 4 players on the team. He had only a few months to scrounge together a team that could compete. UNCW on the other had, simply had an awful coach that was fired, the team was still there. Keatts had a more full roster to work with when he arrived, and some of those players had a lot of potential that Keatts was able to bring out of them. Bottom line, the work both coaches have done are respective schools thus far is impressive.
Of course, it helped that when Joe came over from Niagara, he was able to have the conference POY and HU's second-leading scorer follow him to HU, so he only had to look for complementary pieces, not the two main ones. Now comes the real test starting next year, to see if the guys he's already recruited and that we've already seen, plus others he will recruit, will keep this going without the two huge pieces he plucked from Niagara, or if they'll now take a step back because they're gone.

p.s. it probably won't matter because we're almost certainly headed to the NIT, but given that HU won the league in the regular season, and came as close to earning an auto berth as it did without Nichols, if the committee would ever consider Hofstra a shade more than it might have had they lost in the finals with Nichols (probably not, since Nichols couldn't play in the NCAAT anyway, and the committee unfortunately cares more about that than rewarding a team for overachieving and persevering without an injured key player). But the committee has to think that if HU had Nichols, that might have been just enough to get them over the top for the auto bid. Would be nice to get enough sympathy votes then, to garner an at-large bid (not that I'm expecting it). By the way, UNCW, which was a little lower than us, has shot up to an RPI of 44 now, after winning the title. HU dropped slightly, to 56.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Def 2 very different types of rebuilding, no denying that, JM had a helluva job to do here, and still does

But agree with Wags, JM also benefited greatly from his transfers - I mean not every day you can bring in the conf POY and a 1st teamer from your old team in the same yr! I'd say the certainly helped!

And I'm not complaining :D