MBB at Northeastern 1/21

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB at Northeastern 1/21

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
stuball888 wrote:I love the giving a foul with a 3 point lead. Defense is NOT this teams strong point. Why give a team a chance to tie when you have a 3 point lead. Worst case you get the ball back with a 1 point lead. Having the ball batted back to the opponent is what 20% as opposed to defending the trey at 35%. I will take the better odds. The women actually lost a game on a 4 point play with 7 tics left.
I like the idea of fouling, but they fouled with over six seconds left on the clock, at midcourt, when Northeastern was trying to call a timeout. One second ran off the clock. It ended up being a moot point, but you have to let some more clock run there so they never get a chance to come back and get a good look.
Agree, I didn't understand why they fouled so early. I guess to make sure Northeastern didn't get into its offense quickly and get the 3 off.

It's one of those things that's like a pitching change or going for it on foutth down, whether you decide to foul or not. When it works, you're a genius. When it doesn't, you made the wrong choice.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

How many times have we seen a game tying or winning shot in the closing seconds.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:How many times have we seen a game tying or winning shot in the closing seconds.
We remember those. But how many of the misses in that situation do we recall? There are FAR many more of those. That's what MAKES the game-winners so exciting. If they happened all the time, they wouldn't seem so special. So if you're playing the odds, then...
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Actually thought Defense was awful - allowed 45% FG's (50% from 3) Taylor made number of comments about HU running around trying to cover holes in their zone. Was glad when they switched to "man" but that was worse - Gustys couldn't cover anyone (he might have been gassed or trying not to foul) Thank goodness Stahl had bad game (7-18) cause he missed a number of easy shots. All in all W is as W so gotta take it and enjoy. Best thing re snow is it's postponed a day (HU going to have trouble on short turnaround). Won game despite Bernardi, Tank and Nich virtual no shows
PS-Was ready to reach through my TV and strangle Taylor for his countless "Green Machine" and "Rock" comments
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The most amazing stat of the game: Gustys played 52 minutes and picked up only 3 fouls!
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:Actually thought Defense was awful - allowed 45% FG's (50% from 3) Taylor made number of comments about HU running around trying to cover holes in their zone. Was glad when they switched to "man" but that was worse - Gustys couldn't cover anyone (he might have been gassed or trying not to foul) Thank goodness Stahl had bad game (7-18) cause he missed a number of easy shots. All in all W is as W so gotta take it and enjoy. Best thing re snow is it's postponed a day (HU going to have trouble on short turnaround). Won game despite Bernardi, Tank and Nich virtual no shows
PS-Was ready to reach through my TV and strangle Taylor for his countless "Green Machine" and "Rock" comments
The 50% from 3 is very bad (especially on 34 attempts), but what's wrong with 45% overall? Or 40% (16/40) from 2?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:The most amazing stat of the game: Gustys played 52 minutes and picked up only 3 fouls!
Nichols can get that in less than 1/5 of that time. He basically walks onto the floor for the first time with 3 fouls.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote:The most amazing stat of the game: Gustys played 52 minutes and picked up only 3 fouls!
This was one of the best officiated games I've seen this season. It was very fair on both sides, the teams got to play, and the refs weren't afraid to go to the monitor when necessary. The only questionable moment was the timeout to check the monitor in a live-ball situation.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

ProudofPride wrote:
This was one of the best officiated games I've seen this season. It was very fair on both sides, the teams got to play, and the refs weren't afraid to go to the monitor when necessary. The only questionable moment was the timeout to check the monitor in a live-ball situation.
Completely agree. Quite the contrast from the previous game against JMU. I dont recall any bad calls made on either side and they had 15 additional minutes to officiate!

Gustys has improved his defensive positioning drastically in the last few games. He gives just enough space now to not pick up cheap fouls and he's rarely caught standing straight with his hands up which he used to do all the time.
hualum

Post by hualum »

Wags wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:We never play well at Northeastern.
That was the loss that ultimately cost HU a share of the league title, and probably the at-large bid with it, the year Mason went to the Final Four.

nope...that would have been the Towson loss...but i digress
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Actually thought Defense was awful - allowed 45% FG's (50% from 3) Taylor made number of comments about HU running around trying to cover holes in their zone.
If you remember the game at NU last season, the defense last night was actually much better which might be hard to believe! The problem I had last night was towards the end of the game when every time I felt we needed one more big stop to seal it after extending a lead, they would give it right back on d. They need to dig deep instead of easing up in those situations.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

SNY is showing a replay of the game right now. The game is about to head into the 1st OT..
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Wags wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:Actually thought Defense was awful - allowed 45% FG's (50% from 3) Taylor made number of comments about HU running around trying to cover holes in their zone. Was glad when they switched to "man" but that was worse - Gustys couldn't cover anyone (he might have been gassed or trying not to foul) Thank goodness Stahl had bad game (7-18) cause he missed a number of easy shots. All in all W is as W so gotta take it and enjoy. Best thing re snow is it's postponed a day (HU going to have trouble on short turnaround). Won game despite Bernardi, Tank and Nich virtual no shows
The 50% from 3 is very bad (especially on 34 attempts), but what's wrong with 45% overall? Or 40% (16/40) from 2?
Obviously you saw the game - what's wrong with D was NU missed countless easy looks - few which could be attributed to HU "D"
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Dooku25 wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:Actually thought Defense was awful - allowed 45% FG's (50% from 3) Taylor made number of comments about HU running around trying to cover holes in their zone.
If you remember the game at NU last season, the defense last night was actually much better which might be hard to believe! The problem I had last night was towards the end of the game when every time I felt we needed one more big stop to seal it after extending a lead, they would give it right back on d. They need to dig deep instead of easing up in those situations.
Don't take this the wrong way - I watch soooo many games - never going to remember last year - last week a maybe (lol)
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

NE gets beat by Towson today at home 79-72 - slight upset following the triple OT epic vs HU.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Ford did not play...they said it was the result of his collision in the Hofstra game.
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:NE gets beat by Towson today at home 79-72 - slight upset following the triple OT epic vs HU.
For all of the ways people have complained about HU's season on this board, I can only imagine the threads if instead of being 5-2 and a half-game out of first with a game at home Sunday, HU were 4-4 with three straight home losses like Northeastern is right now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:
Wags wrote:
Obviously you saw the game - what's wrong with D was NU missed countless easy looks - few which could be attributed to HU "D"
Fair, but you mentioned the 45% as the first reason the D was awful. I'll take number pretty much every time with HU's D as long as the 3-pt% allowed is reasonable (mid-30's or lower) and as long as the other team isn't getting to the line that much.