Men's Basketball at College of Charleston on 1/7/2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
RollPride15

Re: Men's Basketball at College of Charleston on 1/7/2016

Post by RollPride15 »

I love Juan'ya but that was the definition of bad, iso hero ball in the last ten minutes.
Cards

Post by Cards »

JG has physical talent but not the head of a team leader. Terrible shot selection, especially when it matters!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Everyone on the team is awful tonight, except Gustys, who the pbp guy is still calling Gustez. If your job involves saying players names, do some research on how to pronounce them.
CofC is shooting 55%, we're not going to win anything like that, especially when the team plays like they don't care. We're down 59-71 with 1:32 left.
Meanwhile, Northeastern is now 3-0 after dismounting Delaware.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

How in the world do you obliterate a team on the road, winning by 32 on only 1 day rest, and then struggle with 4 days rest and lose by double digits to a team without the leading scorer?
Absolutely pitiful performance in every aspect.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Just a horrendous display - especially on D - CC got wherever and whatever they wanted! Uncontested 3's or forays into the paint. Coach has no clue about Defense and neither do his players. Just awful!
Cards

Post by Cards »

how many layups can a team miss in one game??

We get to the second half of a tie game with a veteran team on the floor and they screw up against a bunch of motivated freshman. Another game of non-championship caliber play. As I've said in the past, too many games when we are "off". Really good teams are only "off" a couple of games a season.

Tanksley played well in the first half and then was invisible after that.
Bernardi was invisible the entire game.
Green was not invisible......he could not hide his poor poor play and leadership.
Malik played poor.
Bright spot was Rokus. He really displayed some good footwork and variety of shots. Star in the making!!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Poor effort. 72-61 loss.

It was just a shit effort, and that's on the coaches as much as the players, all of whom seemed to still be high off the Towson win. Charleston shot 60% in the second half, nice adjustments Joe. I'm having flashbacks to last year.

It's just the same old shit with this team, they cut you down the minute you get your hopes up. Just low Hoops IQ all around from this team tonight.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

The glaring issue to me is this... If a few players have an off night, we have no one to go to on the bench. Not having depth is going to be the demise of this team.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Why does it still seem like everyone has an off night at the same time? It wouldn't be as bad if only one player wasn't having their best night. And why can't this team figure out that defense is especially important when you're having an off-shooting night?

Most glaring stat: 11 team assists, 13 turnovers
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

With Gustys's good game, Hofstra now have five players averaging at least 10 points per game. Here are the teams with five players averaging at least 10 points
per game (if no games tonight other than ours gave a team another player averaging at least 10 points per game):

Auburn
California-Los Angeles (UCLA) (playing now)
Duke
Hofstra
Maryland
Milwaukee is playing now and has a player who needs 1 more point to remain averaging at least 10 points per game
North Carolina
North Carolina-Asheville
North Florida
Notre Dame
Ohio
Rhode Island
Siena
South Carolina
Southern California (USC): 6 players (playing later tonight)
Southern Methodist (SMU)
Texas-El Paso (UTEP)
Xavier

That's 18 teams. Iowa State, Stanford, and Boston University have at least five players averaging at least 10 points per game, but not enough of them have played in 75 percent of their team's games to qualify.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Bernardi's father is upset on twitter, saying the team was selfish for not passing to him. There were only 11 assists total, there weren't passes to anyone. Plus, he (alone with Green and Tanksley) didn't have good shot selection. No one deserved to have the ball.
We're all wondering why BB didn't get the ball, but at least he wasn't singled out since no one got the ball.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Turnovers and CC took away the three...JG was horrendous esp with those two turnovers at the end of the first half...overall poor effort...hopefully a teaching moment...good news is we play again in less than 48 hours
dutchalum01

Men's Basketball at College of Charleston on 1/7/2016

Post by dutchalum01 »

Disgusting effort all around (less RG). It's a disgrace that our staff refuses to play our bench. Green was horrible, almost single handedly cost us the game down the stretch, poor shot selection at ill advised times - pass the damn ball. This team is not capable of winning 3 in a row over a short weekend. Will never happen. That I blame the coaching staff. Those of you with a glass half full attitude toward this team, you're kidding yourself. Unless the staff makes a change in coaching style, get used to this sort of poor effort. Why we didn't burn Robinson's red shirt is beyond me.
Last edited by dutchalum01 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

This game is on Green. Horrendous showing for him. Where was his NBA passing ability tonight? He got outplayed by a FRESHMAN point guard. Bernardi had 2 points because our PG forgot he was on the team. Same goes with the coach. Can we draw up a play to set the guy up once in awhile? Penetrate and kick? Or any time a team plays tough defense 30 feet from the basketball all night we are just going to chuck up bad shots and hope for the best? Totally outcoached and outplayed tonight.

I expected a tough game even without Barry playing, but I didn't expect a double digit loss. The team is so up and down. They can blow out a team one night then look really bad the next. Can they play well 3 days in a row in Baltimore? I have my doubts.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:The glaring issue to me is this... If a few players have an off night, we have no one to go to on the bench. Not having depth is going to be the demise of this team.
Didn't help that Nichols, who plays well but is foul prone, and who was playing very well recently, played only 8 minutes tonight, limited by 3 fouls.

You're right that it's nice to have a spark or two come in off the bench when some starters are having an off night and depth can be important. But it's not the be all and end all that some on this board make it out to be.

Charleston won 11 tonight playing basically 6 guys. A 7th played 13 minutes, an 8th just 1 minute, and that was it. Four of their starters played at least 30 minutes, and three of those four played 35-37 minutes.

These guys are young and they grew up playing AAU ball all day long, several days a week. If the guys that are on the floor do the jobs they are supposed to do at the levels that are expected of them, depth isn't that big of an issue. Just ask Charleston tonight.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

ProudofPride wrote:Bernardi's father is upset on twitter, saying the team was selfish for not passing to him. There were only 11 assists total, there weren't passes to anyone. Plus, he (alone with Green and Tanksley) didn't have good shot selection. No one deserved to have the ball.
We're all wondering why BB didn't get the ball, but at least he wasn't singled out since no one got the ball.
What's dad's Twitter handle?

Bernardi probably hasn't taken only five shots in a game since his CYO days.

Green is closing in on 2,000 career points. Maybe he got a little selfish tonight.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Bernardi shouldn't have been on the court in the second half, he got no separation, I'm sure Juan'ya would have loved to pass him the ball instead of hoisting up some of the shots he ended up taking. Horrendous defensive effort too, even the 2-3 can't veil how poor Bernardi and Koon are as defenders, they're the worst on the team.

Kudos to Charleston, they were significantly better than us in the second half, I was highly impressed with their athleticism.

Lose by 12, lose by 1, we're still 2-1 in CAA, just gotta move past this game, make it a learning experience.
Polito

Post by Polito »

how'd that no Barry workout? This is why you want to play their best - if ya lose, there's an explanation. When this kind of loss happens without their best, it's a black eye.

As I mentioned after the Towson win, enjoy a great unexpected lopsided conf win, but do not be fooled. I think some of you are still under very wrong impressions with this team, and you are in for a very rude awakening come CAAT time.

Depth isn't an issue when you have superior talent in your starting 5 and/or you play lockdown D. HU has talent, but it isn't superior, therefore, for THOUSANDTH FRIGGIN TIME, HU MUST HAVE DEPTH - and they don't. Because the STAFF has flat out refused to develop them. And IMO it will bite this team when it matters most - and it isn't about being tired - some of you again are focused on the wrong thing - it's about CONSISTENCY - these guys are not NBA guys who can turn in ridiculous performances day in and out - they're just not, they are VERY up and down, they WILL have their share of bad showings - and unfortunately in this league at this level that is a total killer to go dancing.

Looking at the box score it is really shocking to see Bernardi's lack of shots - this guys has elevated his game and is the REASON HU won their first several games - how does he not get opps to shoot the rock? Was it really lack of distribution (which would be unacceptable) or was it super D shutting him down??

And I'm sorry but please spare me the learning experience nonsense - c'mon, the guys you're talking about are UPPER CLASSMEN - 'learning experience' at this point in their career and halfway through the season is absolute horse manure. This is called the reality. This is where they are, where the team is, bottom line.

I know why ph15 wants that conf regular season champ (which I agree would be a strong accomplishment since HU has yet to do it)... it's because deep down even he knows this squad isn't NCAA bound, and at least a regular season champ would put HU in a good spot for the NIT - and I am actually still very much hopeful for that - my expectations wavered after game 1, and then completely changed after the Paradise Jam. NIT for this team and program would now be the mark of a solid season for me. NCAA is not even a fair barometer anymore based upon the makeup and play of this current team.

But as you are seeing, even that is going to be a long shot because of how streaky these guys are - for anyone to think the minute distribution is fine, and that depth isn't the issue, and that all will miraculously work itself out at the most pressure filled time needs to seriously wake up - tough to hear, but the truth.

I hate to even say this, but this season really is starting to have major letdown written all over it. And it's weird to say that because I think they'll hit 18-20 wins. But it's just not living up to the hype, which they accepted full on. And trust me, I do hope I'm wrong...I just don't feel it.

Look, I love these guys man, I really do, I am pulling for them SO hard - but what they are doing is suicide and it's not going to work. It's like watching a wreck happen in slow motion. It's really painful because of how much I really like these guys, staff included.

I love what JM is doing to revive this program, he deserves a lot of respect and support - but my goodness, this is frustrating. His lack of D and Depth is really REALLY disappointing. Again, the '16 recruiting class is the most important class since I've been following in the mid 90's. Need to real in some SERIOUS talent.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Polito I believe you mean me when you say I want the regular season title, and your presumption is right. It's not even deep down. This team, in its current iteration, if it continues to not make adjustments, will not make the NCAA tourney.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

coach JM - AT didn't practice much this week because of a neck injury...AT ran out of gas in 2nd half and we should probably rested/rotated him more