MBB vs. Sacred Heart - 12/28/15, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB vs. Sacred Heart - 12/28/15, 7 PM

Post by garyg »

Our team is under achieving and over-rated...good point made in earlier post about Green getting beat off dribble on regular basis...Green has skills but does he always come to play with those skills...how about one of the fundamental rules of defense....stay between your man and the basket...Green has skills and often fills up stat sheet but is he a true leader?? When was last time you saw Green take a charge...not blaming only Green but he is supposed to be "the man" this season...somethings missing with last years and this years team...you can blame short bench up to certain point but this team should still be doing much better....only hope is when conference play begins the light bulb goes off and the guys figure out why they are running around in short pants...8-4 but we should be 10-2 and even in a lot of our victories we have only played good enough to get by....
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

The team looks lifeless at times out there. Probably exhausted from too many minutes...tough to maintain defensive intensity that way. And fatigue leads to injuries...could be a dangerous cycle.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe I believe in 2013 Delaware won with a 6 man rotation also.Sadler Anderson and Threet made up the backcourt while Baptist, Harris and King Davis made up the front line.Baptist and harris were 6ft9 and decent defensive players. They survived to win because of balance. We have only 6ft9 Gustys in the post. You cannot win this conference playing 6ft6 in the post for extended minutes against the better teams in the CAA tourney.
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:The team looks lifeless at times out there. Probably exhausted from too many minutes...tough to maintain defensive intensity that way. And fatigue leads to injuries...could be a dangerous cycle.
True, that can happen. And expanding the rotation would obviously alleviate those issues.

But I don't think that's what's going on with this team. If that were the case last night, they'd have come out with intensity and then run out of gas. Just the opposite, though. They were flat in the first half and then tuned it on late, when they needed to, in order to avoid an embarrassing upset on their home floor.

So, I don't think it's fatigue, created by a short rotation nearly as much as a simple lack of focus and a lack of maintaining the correct approach at each end of the floor for a whole game, every game. They got up for Florida State and played a solid 40 minutes. They clearly took Sacred Heart for granted for the first 30 minutes. They settled for ill-advised, long jumpers, early in the shot clock and gave a half-hearted effort in guarding Sacred Heart in the first half. In the second half, it was totally different -- all of a sudden, Broome, who had 25 pts on 11-19 shooting over the first 30+ minutes, went scoreless on 0-4 over the final 9:37 as Nichols and others decided to guard him and everyone else, once they realized they needed to take Sacred Heart for real. And then everything offensively was about aggressively getting into the paint and attack the rim, and stop settling for jumpers.

It's a lot more to do with the approach, effort and focus at each end of the floor than it is the short rotation. A longer rotation would certainly help, especially through CAA play over the next two months. But as JAM has preached repeatedly to them, it has way more to do with respecting the game and the opponent every time they're on the floor, for a full 40 minutes, no matter the situation. It's inexcusable, especially with the preseason expectations, to take nights or at least parts of nights off. But hopefully now that the Molloy's and Sacred Heart's are over with, a CAA-only schedule the rest of the way will bring out the best in the team's level of focus and sense of urgency.

On a small positive note to this point, at least so far, they are defending the home court (at 4-0) in terms of wins and losses, if not yet to the point where they should be with spirited play. That was a problem that cost them some key CAA home losses last year. So we'll see how that goes this year.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: The starting lineup needs to be shaken up and Buie should start over Koon. We need a defensive jolt. Also, the bench needs to be able to log about 55-60 minutes per game, give Koon and Nichols about 25 mins, JWF 10 mins, and watch this team take off. I don't think we'll be out of any game with our shooting ability, but we need to put getting stops over everything else right now with CAA play starting on Thursday.
So you don't think Koon playing less would hurt our rebounding too much? Koon has 82 rebounds (6.8 per game for second on Hofstra and seventh in the CAA). If Buie kept his rebounds per minute rate and played the same amount of minutes as Koon, Buie would have 29.8 rebounds, which is 36.4% of how many Koon has.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

joeg1 wrote:The team looks lifeless at times out there. Probably exhausted from too many minutes...tough to maintain defensive intensity that way. And fatigue leads to injuries...could be a dangerous cycle.
If fatigue is an issue then how do you explain all of our late game comebacks and better defensive efforts...fatigue is hogwash!
HU87

Post by HU87 »

HUSID80 wrote:
If fatigue is an issue then how do you explain all of our late game comebacks and better defensive efforts...fatigue is hogwash!
Agree 100%-- these guys are high-level athletes in their primes and could play all day. A scary but true reality with this team is we will live and die by the 3 this year. We all know it, but we seem to ignore that fact in these types of let-down games.

I was at the game, and we shot 8-27 from 3 (>30%). I'd bet that our first half percentage was even lower, as Bernardi finally had a few drop down the stretch to help that number. We had numerous open looks throughout the game, but our shots just weren't falling. If we shot closer to our ~40% we average, this would have been a much different game, both score-wise and flow-wise. Getting into a rhythm and having our offense be effective are both results of our long range shots falling and opening other opportunities. While I'm not claiming this is a solve all, our best wins are the ones where the long ball keeps us in the game or lets us pull away.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:
I agree with both of you - they are fatigued, how can they not be? playing 6 guys vs 10 - how do I explain comebacks? seems to me that they are pacing themselves - know coach is going with 6 1/2 player of his available 9 - don't foul early and ramp up the intensity when we have managed the fouls of the core 4 and there are 10-15 minutes left.

I have come to conclusion that it is what it is - JAM isn't going to go deep with this bench; probably never going to see Djambo.

I wish that at stretches of the game we'd do a complete line up change and run out a high energy unit/ that a presses fast breaks, not so worried about fouls and just runs for 3-6 minutes per half - Buie/JWF/Nicols/Walker and Green or Tanksley (whoever is hot or less fouls) -

I am glad to see JAM press conference last night and his frustration and calling the team out publicly - this an experienced team with core players with JAM for 5 years - I am disappointed and expected so much more.

I will still root for this team - but my expectations as of now have been lowered.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

EvanJ wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote: The starting lineup needs to be shaken up and Buie should start over Koon. We need a defensive jolt. Also, the bench needs to be able to log about 55-60 minutes per game, give Koon and Nichols about 25 mins, JWF 10 mins, and watch this team take off. I don't think we'll be out of any game with our shooting ability, but we need to put getting stops over everything else right now with CAA play starting on Thursday.
So you don't think Koon playing less would hurt our rebounding too much? Koon has 82 rebounds (6.8 per game for second on Hofstra and seventh in the CAA). If Buie kept his rebounds per minute rate and played the same amount of minutes as Koon, Buie would have 29.8 rebounds, which is 36.4% of how many Koon has.
Honestly, no. Koon is not a particularly good rebounder, if he played 10 less minutes per game at the expense of Buie, I think the opposing FG% would go down and our rebounding per 40 would go up, and the rebounding difference would be distributed among the other five players on the court.

If there is a problem with this team offensively, it's that we have been settling for a lot of crappy looks the past 4 games or so. It's like the offense is out of sync somewhat. I think we push the pace too much at times, and just take poor shots that expose us to a fast break the other way. We closed the game out late because Sacred Heart was in major foul trouble, and they couldn't guard Green without fouling, so he got to the rack at will. We just have to improve on shot selection for conference play and I think we'll be fine.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: If there is a problem with this team offensively, it's that we have been settling for a lot of crappy looks the past 4 games or so. It's like the offense is out of sync somewhat. I think we push the pace too much at times, and just take poor shots that expose us to a fast break the other way. We closed the game out late because Sacred Heart was in major foul trouble, and they couldn't guard Green without fouling, so he got to the rack at will. We just have to improve on shot selection for conference play and I think we'll be fine.
Before HU started aggressively attacking the paint and the rim, and staying with Sacred Heart players defensively, there was a clear difference in each team's energy and willingness of guys without the ball to move and get open. Over the first 30 minutes, Sacred Heart often had guys running and cutting, trying to make HU work defensively. In contrast, HU would make one or two passes and jack up a contested or off-balance, rushed 3, with plenty of time on the shot clock and no HU player underneath the basket. JAM acknowledged in the postgame that the team probably fell in love with the 3 too much in the first half before they attacked the paint thereafter. Didn't need him to say that to know it. Was clearly evident. Either by desgin/scheme, players taking it upon themselves to freelance on their own or a combination of both, HU almost never cut or moved without the ball. It was one or two guys dribbling to get around someone and hoisting up a quick shot with a bad look or if he got in trouble, getting it to the next guy for an equally bad look and rushed shot. And the other 3-4 guys standing around and watching. That's not how basketball is supposed to be played, especially at the college level. You have to move the ball and move without the ball, and if you have a guard like Juan'ya and other shooters who can get better looks off of his penetration and kickouts, you have to take advantage of that as well. The approaches in the first and second halves were night and day. And the numbers back it up: from 18 3-pt FGA & 10 FTA before halftime to 9 & 19 afterwards. They flipped the script and the approach. And that (plus deciding to finally care about guarding people) was the only way they were coming back to win that game. It's also the only way the can win the CAA this year. Not saying don't shoot the 3, but take those in the flow of an aggressive, more motion-oriented offense, rather than that being your first thought, thinking you'll eventually make those shots, even though you keep missing them and as a result, you're falling further and further behind. Most of the CAA can't drive, draw and dish for better looks like HU can with Green setting that up, because well, they don't have someone like Green to begin with. Use that strength, let THAT be what your offense is based on, not that lazy, shoot quick from anywhere offense we saw in the first half last night.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I may be a simpleton but to me it's purely an effort issue. We have started the same five the entire season. There is no competition for starting spots...What if JAM pulled Green the next time he lets some little guard blow by him or throws up an early three...playing time is what matters...that's the only way to get anyone's attention
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:I may be a simpleton but to me it's purely an effort issue. We have started the same five the entire season. There is no competition for starting spots...What if JAM pulled Green the next time he lets some little guard blow by him or throws up an early three...playing time is what matters...that's the only way to get anyone's attention
I like it, but the best time to do that was against the weaker OOC teams, not during CAA play, when one spurt can come back to haunt you in a game you might need. However, big picture, if it fixes the issue, might be worth it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HU87 wrote: I was at the game, and we shot 8-27 from 3 (>30%). I'd bet that our first half percentage was even lower, as Bernardi finally had a few drop down the stretch to help that number.
8-27 is actually .296, which is <30%. We shot 5-18 (.278) in the first half and 3-9 (.333) in the second half.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Haven't been posting because although I've been attending all the games have to admit I'm thoroughly bored/disgusted with the team's play, OOC schedule, shot selection, lack of defense and coaching decisions regarding personnel. Other than that - all good!
A number of the posts have been WRIGHT on point about these issues so pointless to rehash them. I'll just focus on the lack of use of Walker. I can't understand for the life of me why he can't get on the court for 5 minutes each half - especially in the OOC. It's not like the team is making a significant post season tourney (NCAA or NIT) with the garbage we've played prior to league play. If Walker isn't good enough to play against some of the D2 or 3 competition then the failure is with the Coaching staff for not developing a talented, athletic 6'10 kid. What the hell are they doing? You've seen some of the competition - he can't get on the court against some of these kids. SH started a frosh C who was not ready for prime time - but they gave him some minutes cause he's not getting any better watching. Can't wait till we have an injury or the flu - then what?
As many of you know I'm a huge Michigan State fan. How does Izzo manage to get 12 guys minutes in almost every game ? Close or not. Sure he has better players but there is a drop off from his top 6-7 to the bottom guys. Every team we play runs out 8-10 guys -HU plays 7 - only 6 get real minutes - even against inferior competition. As I said - thoroughly disgusted! Don't be disillusioned - this team isn't winning anything!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

ZMAN3 wrote:Haven't been posting because although I've been attending all the games have to admit I'm thoroughly bored/disgusted with the team's play, OOC schedule, shot selection, lack of defense and coaching decisions regarding personnel. Other than that - all good!
A number of the posts have been WRIGHT on point about these issues so pointless to rehash them. I'll just focus on the lack of use of Walker. I can't understand for the life of me why he can't get on the court for 5 minutes each half - especially in the OOC. It's not like the team is making a significant post season tourney (NCAA or NIT) with the garbage we've played prior to league play. If Walker isn't good enough to play against some of the D2 or 3 competition then the failure is with the Coaching staff for not developing a talented, athletic 6'10 kid. What the hell are they doing? You've seen some of the competition - he can't get on the court against some of these kids. SH started a frosh C who was not ready for prime time - but they gave him some minutes cause he's not getting any better watching. Can't wait till we have an injury or the flu - then what?
As many of you know I'm a huge Michigan State fan. How does Izzo manage to get 12 guys minutes in almost every game ? Close or not. Sure he has better players but there is a drop off from his top 6-7 to the bottom guys. Every team we play runs out 8-10 guys -HU plays 7 - only 6 get real minutes - even against inferior competition. As I said - thoroughly disgusted! Don't be disillusioned - this team isn't winning anything!
Walkers lack of PT and development - thank you - agree 100%
Welcome back Z
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Nevermind Michigan State. How about a team in our own conference, UNCW. They play around with the starting lineup from game to game, and almost the whole team is productive and plays significant minutes every game. No player currently averages more than 27.5 minutes a game. Their starters can actually get some rest because their bench gets minutes.
http://www.uncwsports.com/custompages/m ... amcume.htm