MBB Game 2 - Iona, 11/11/22, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MBB Game 2 - Iona, 11/11/22, 7 PM

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hey Cactus during the chalk talk does anyone ever ask questions?? When can we expect to see Williams? What kind of injury does he have?
No it's not q&a, it was parrotta this game and he noted only boachie-yiadom was healthy from the bigs and talked a lot of coach speak. Only nugget was that they were going to try running a new defense at one point in the game.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

ProudofPride wrote:
Farmer is redshirting. He was posting stories to the Hofstra SAAC Instagram account and showed some behind the scenes views of the team, and when introducing himself he said he’s redshirting this year.

Pitino press conference: https://youtu.be/1NVCFuSBRY0
Makes sense on Farmer, thanks for the info
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:
Farmer is redshirting. He was posting stories to the Hofstra SAAC Instagram account and showed some behind the scenes views of the team, and when introducing himself he said he’s redshirting this year.

Pitino press conference: https://youtu.be/1NVCFuSBRY0
Makes sense on Farmer, thanks for the info
Thanks for that info it’s nice to know what’s got on with the players
Cards

Post by Cards »

Like most on the board, I don't like it when the team relies on taking too many threes. That being said, most of the 3's taken in this game were "wide open looks". Good passing and patience on the floor provided good looks - hence as long as our shooters percentages are good, I have no problem with this game approach. They just better be ready to adjust during games when the shooting is "off".

Only two games in, but I like the chemistry of this team - lots of "team" and not so much "me".

Gotta think we are even better when WW is available!

Looking for a beat down on GW on Monday!
Captain

Post by Captain »

My reliable contact says the freshman big will redshirt this year.
This current team is easy to root for. I hope we play a deeper group because I think we have more capable players to step up.
Injuries happen and it's nice if the bench is not completely green.
Pitino was complaining about the lack of depth on his roster with 2 players out.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Like most on the board, I don't like it when the team relies on taking too many threes. That being said, most of the 3's taken in this game were "wide open looks". Good passing and patience on the floor provided good looks - hence as long as our shooters percentages are good, I have no problem with this game approach. They just better be ready to adjust during games when the shooting is "off".

Only two games in, but I like the chemistry of this team - lots of "team" and not so much "me".

Gotta think we are even better when WW is available!

Looking for a beat down on GW on Monday!
Yes Cards spot on taking” good look “ threes and making necessary adjustments if needed in game. I like the no I in team approach. We beat a couple of good teams so far and without our starting center. Big difference in girth Nelson and Warren. We would have had more boards with Williams.

Can anyone say why Carlos was T up in the game. I saw it in the box score.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:This win getting attention from Jon Rothstein:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 6801871873
Jay Wright chiming in too:
https://twitter.com/VUCoachJWright/stat ... 9615757313
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: Just some food for thought we took 29 threes and hit 14. I wonder what the narrative on this board would have been had we shot in the 30% range in this game. It has been talked about a lot here our over reliance on the three ball.
But do they still take as many as 29 if only hitting 30%? If they started out, say 4/15, instead of as hot as they were, maybe they adjust and attack the paint more and only take a few more 3s instead of 14 more from that point.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Can anyone say why Carlos was T up in the game. I saw it in the box score.
Flopping. While watching another game, an announcer said there is a new rule against flopping.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Game story, if anyone's interested:
https://www.nysportsday.com/2022/11/11/75516/
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Just some food for thought we took 29 threes and hit 14. I wonder what the narrative on this board would have been had we shot in the 30% range in this game. It has been talked about a lot here our over reliance on the three ball.
But do they still take as many as 29 if only hitting 30%? If they started out, say 4/15, instead of as hot as they were, maybe they adjust and attack the paint more and only take a few more 3s instead of 14 more from that point.
The 3’s were actually the last option on most possessions. They would try and drive and get to the ball to the paint and then when the defense collapsed on them would kick out for a wide open three. Essentially what used to always happens to us.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Wags wrote:
The 3’s were actually the last option on most possessions. They would try and drive and get to the ball to the paint and then when the defense collapsed on them would kick out for a wide open three. Essentially what used to always happens to us.
This is actually a strategy to open up the 3 more so than to drive the paint (although if that's there, you take that option). It's the way teams who like to shoot 3s should play. Driving and collapsing the D is exactly what you want if you're shooting the 3. If two or three guys collapse on the driver, others on the perimeter are open by default.

Pitino mentioned it last night in talking about Hofstra's overall potential for the season:

“The only thing they’ve got to watch is bad 3s. You’ve got to take good 3s, where your players are in a position to get a second one, where you’re paint-touching and dishing and not just coming down and jacking it up."
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wags, Thanks for the article. There are two more on the HU-IC game on the Daly Dose of Hoops site.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: This is actually a strategy to open up the 3 more so than to drive the paint (although if that's there, you take that option). It's the way teams who like to shoot 3s should play. Driving and collapsing the D is exactly what you want if you're shooting the 3. If two or three guys collapse on the driver, others on the perimeter are open by default.

Pitino mentioned it last night in talking about Hofstra's overall potential for the season:

“The only thing they’ve got to watch is bad 3s. You’ve got to take good 3s, where your players are in a position to get a second one, where you’re paint-touching and dishing and not just coming down and jacking it up."
Here's a prime example of this - Estrada's intention isn't really to get to the hoop. He'll gladly take it if it's there, but he is expecting the Iona D to collapse here as soon as he gets into the paint. And when it does, he dishes. They won the game on this play. This is the 3 that broke the tie and put them up for good, 79-76. Watch Jenkins leave Thomas in the corner to collapse on Estrada, then be unable to recover and get back to Thomas in time after Estrada dishes. Winning, selfless play by the reigning and preseason CAA POY and HU's usual top scoring option. Say a lot about Estrada's mindset. Will be the hero when needed, but wants to win first.

https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/ ... 3621980161
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wags wrote:
Wags wrote: This is actually a strategy to open up the 3 more so than to drive the paint (although if that's there, you take that option). It's the way teams who like to shoot 3s should play. Driving and collapsing the D is exactly what you want if you're shooting the 3. If two or three guys collapse on the driver, others on the perimeter are open by default.

Here's a prime example of this - Estrada's intention isn't really to get to the hoop. He'll gladly take it if it's there, but he is expecting the Iona D to collapse here as soon as he gets into the paint. And when it does, he dishes. They won the game on this play. This is the 3 that broke the tie and put them up for good, 79-76. Watch Jenkins leave Thomas in the corner to collapse on Estrada, then be unable to recover and get back to Thomas in time after Estrada dishes. Winning, selfless play by the reigning and preseason CAA POY and HU's usual top scoring option. Say a lot about Estrada's mindset. Will be the hero when needed, but wants to win first.

https://twitter.com/mid_madness/status/ ... 3621980161
Completely agree Wags. Same thing happened several times when JC drove into the paint....defense collapsed.....he dished it out to the open shooter who just hangs at the 3 point line. With decent shooting and unselfish play, this approach can be tough to defend.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:Wags, Thanks for the article. There are two more on the HU-IC game on the Daly Dose of Hoops site.
Yes, saw those - I liked Jaden's piece. He always does a great job. Was good to see him again last night and just to be back in general. Felt like a long time since the last home game last year.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I didn’t look at the box scores but our guards had a stretch where they tried drives to the hoop and kept getting blocked. Iona’s interior defense was great in the 2nd half. Lanes were closing quickly and short range shots were hard to find. Many threes were attempted because that’s what the defense was giving them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:I didn’t look at the box scores but our guards had a stretch where they tried drives to the hoop and kept getting blocked. Iona’s interior defense was great in the 2nd half. Lanes were closing quickly and short range shots were hard to find. Many threes were attempted because that’s what the defense was giving them.
Yeah, Pitino also noted that they had only three deflections in the first half - which he said was the lowest he's ever seen for one of his teams in a half in his 45 years of coaching - and then 26 deflections in the second half.

Good thing they were still making those 3s in the second half because they got beat up badly in the paint, 44-18 (including 22-4 in the second half) and in second-chance points, 18-0 (including 12-0 in the second half).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
This is the “Key Question” do they switch it up and play more of a mid- range game or will they keep chucking because we have heard from Speedy they were getting good shots that they normally hit?? After watching part of the replay of this game it sure looked like they were taking good shots maybe except for a Thomas air ball.