MBB Game 2 - Iona, 11/11/22, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB Game 2 - Iona, 11/11/22, 7 PM

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Thanks Evan good to see u back on the boards.
Your welcome. I rarely go in a recruiting topic, and I do not post much during the summer. I do post about soccer in both genders.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/11/9/me ... pener.aspx is Hofstra's preview.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 3game2.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=425814 will have statistics.

Edit: Jaquan Carlos gets his first career start. Bryce Washington is not starting.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2022 ... -iona.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Iona." About Monday, he wrote "The 12-point comeback was the biggest for the Dutchmen since they trailed by 16 points in the first half of a 75-71 win over Northeastern on Feb. 8, 2020." Rick Pitino is the four coach to coach three schools against Hofstra, and the first coach to do it including a team in what are now the top six conferences.

Hofstra leads 5-2.
Last edited by EvanJ on Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Certainly not close to a sellout. Weird email to send.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

After 8:00, Iona called timeout because we lead 22-15. Thomas scored 11, Dubar scored 9, and Estrada scored 2. Carlos has 4 assists, and we have 7 assists without a turnover. Iona has more rebounds 12 to 4 including 6 offensive rebounds.

Edit: Iona responded with a 12-0 run to go up 27-22. Then Hofstra went on an 11-2 run to go up 33-29. Plotnikov just scored and will have a free throw for a three-point play after the timeout with with 6:55 left in the half. Before the free throw, we are on pace to score 101 with 95 points by players other than Estrada.

Edit: We went back up 7, but slowed down and lead 43-40 at halftime. We scored 10 in the last 6:55. We committed our first turnover with 1:11 left, another on our next possession, and Estrada missed a 3 to end the half. After using ten players in our first game, we used only seven players. Considering he did not play, I wonder if Washington is available, and I hope we do not have multiple players injured. Thomas led all scorers with 16, Dubar scored 11, Carlos scored 8, Plotnikov scored 6, Estrada scored 2, and Boachie-Yiadom and Marshall did not score. Estrada had 5 assists, and Carlos had 4. Estrada and Thomas tied for our rebounding lead with 3. Iona had more rebounds 22 to 10. Quinn Slazinski was Iona's only double-digit scorer with 12, and he led with 7 rebounds. Both teams shot well. We shot field goals .531, threes .421, and free throws 1-1. Iona shot field goals .500, threes .364, and free throws 2-2. Iona had more fouls 5 to 4, and Marshall is the only player with 2 fouls.
Last edited by EvanJ on Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Feels like I just sat down and it's already halftime. Very entertaining, quick-moving first half. Took about 35 minutes (?) to play. Only nine fouls called and three FTs taken, with 30 3-pt FGAs. Hofstra was raining 3s for much of the half. Now 8/19 from there in the half. As always, it will be about the D for them this year to see how far they can go. They seem to have a lot of varied kinds of offensive weapons... 43 first-half points with the reigning & preseason CAA POY scoring just 2 pts on 1/5 fg (Iona forcing the ball out of his hands; he has 4 asts and no TOs). HU also 9/13 from 2.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

At the same time as we lead 43-40, Charleston led 43-40 at Number 1 North Carolina, and Charleston leads 50-43 at halftime. I wonder what the highest ranked team a CAA team has ever beaten is. If Charleston holds on, the top two in the next poll could be from outside the top six conferences because Gonzaga is Number 2 and Houston is Number 3. However, Gonzaga trails Michigan State 40-31. Houston leads.

Edit: Our struggling offensive let Iona take the lead, and Dubar made a three to go up 48-47. Iona committed 5 fouls in the first half, and 5 in the first 2:10 of the second half, including 4 in 58 seconds. UNCW leads non-Division I Allen 64-23.

Edit: With 12:05 left, Estrada made his first three to give him 7 points, give us our largest lead at 60-51, and make Iona call timeout before the under 12:00 timeout. We are on a 10-0 run. Iona has 8 fouls in the half, and we have 2. We shot free throws 7-10 so far this half after having 1 attempt in the first half. Thomas (18), Quinn Slazinski (18), and Dubar (17) are battling for the scoring lead.

Edit: With 11:41 left, Iona got their third block, and all were shot be Estrada, who had as many shots block as made. Iona scored to go down 60-53.

Edit: Hofstra did not score for 5:50, and their lead went down from 10 to 1 until Dubar made a three. Hofstra leads 69-64 with 3:59 left and will shoot two free throws after the timeout.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra lead went up to 7, but a 7-0 run in less than a minute including two turnovers by Hofstra tied the game with 1:55 left. Thomas made a stepback basket with 1:23 left, and Iona made 2 free throws with 58 seconds left to tie it at 76. With 35 seconds left, Thomas made the winning three. Nelly Jr. Joseph got an offensive rebound and scored to go down 1 with 17 seconds left. Iona did not foul immediately, and fouled Estrada with 9 seconds left. He made both free throws to get to double-digits with 10 points. Iona missed a three to tie, and fouled Plotnikov with 2.1 seconds left. He made both free throws to win 83-78, and Iona did not bother shooting. It shows how good our offense is that we scored over 2 points per minute while going scoreless for 5:50.

Thomas led all scorers with 26. He shot 9-14 including threes 6-10. Dubar scored 22. He shot 9-16 including threes 3-6. Carlos scored 12, Plotnikov scored 11, and Estrada scored 10, so we had five players score double-digits. When a team has two guys score over 20 and five score at least 10, they will probably win. Boachie-Yiadom shot field goals 0-3 and free throws 2-2. Carlos had 7 assists, Estrada had 6, and Boachie-Yiadom had 4. We had 3 steals and 3 blocks, and Boachie-Yiadom had 2 blocks. Our bench played 22 minutes, and we used only six players in the second half. Marshall's only minutes were 5 in the first half, and his only nonzero statistic was 2 fouls.

Quinn Slazinski led Iona with 20 points, and had 10 rebounds for the only double-double on either team. Nelly Jr. Joseph had 17 points, 9 rebounds, 6 blocks, and 2 steals. Daniss Jenkins scored 13, and Berrick JeanLouis scored 11. Slazinski led them with 4 assists.

The field goal percentage was close, with us at .491 and Iona at .478. The big difference was that we shot threes .483, and Iona shot them .353. We made 14 of 29 threes, which was more than half of our 55 field goal attempts. We shot free throws .789 to Iona's .727. We had 1 more rebound in the second half, but Iona still had way more rebounds, 39 to 28. We committed 10 fouls, and Iona committed 18. Iona had 18 second chance points, 6 fast break points, and we did not have any of either one. I wonder how rare it is to win while not having any second chance points and allowing at least 18 second chance points. Iona had more points in the paint 44 to 18.

North Carolina pulled away from Charleston to win 102-86. Charleston was an underdog by 19 and covered. Drexel won 71-59 hosting Old Dominion, who moved from Conference USA to the Sun Belt, and resumed being in the same conference as James Madison. Delaware lost 75-71 at Air Force. North Carolina A&T trails 72-41 at Iowa. Elon and Monmouth are in close games, with Elon down 29-27 in a neutral site game against East Tennessee State, and Monmouth leading 8-5 at Number 18 Virginia in a game on YES.
Last edited by EvanJ on Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Great game! Very well played by both teams for so early in the year. All I have to say is In Guards We Trust!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Great game! Very well played by both teams for so early in the year. All I have to say is In Guards We Trust!
Man, what a game!
Thomas was light out tonight. Huge 3 at the end.
Carlos played his best game of his college career. He dished the ball very well.
Estrada was great as well. Didnt get the point production like we normally do, but he played an all around great game. 2 clutch free throws late.
DStone Dubar played very well. Put up points, and got some rebounds. Great game from him.
Boachie Yiadom played good D late, but I am excited for Williams to come back.
Plontikov is an electric factory. Played well, and plays with emotion. Love to see it.

Awesome crowd tonight as well. Have to build on this game.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Agreed - what a game and great crowd tonight! Feel like many times we have a big turnout and we lose, but not tonight. That’s a really good Iona ram and we went toe to toe with them.

Thomas and Dubar stepped up big tonight. Hope JC continues to ascend - you can see his confidence building. Nelson was huge to stay out of foul trouble and play good D. German is high energy and wears his emotions on his sleeve. Could end up being a leader on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

What else can I say. Just a great team win. Iona clearly was keying in stopping estrada and the rest of the guys stepped up. Amazing atmosphere at the arena too.
Last edited by HofstraMathew on Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Fantastic game, great crowd. Let's do it again Monday.
I didn't check the box score but I think Carlos played the entire 40 minutes.
Great games from Dubar and Thomas
Solid all around game from Estrada who faced a double team almost the entire night and didn't get frustrated
Boachie-Yiadom did his best but needs to be stronger with the ball
Plotnikiov solid again
Marshall picked up a couple of quick fouls and wasn't seen again
No Barrouk, Washington (who started vs Princeton), or Farmer
Understood from chalk talk that Manyang, Williams, and Tomasco all unavailable due to injury
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: I didn't check the box score but I think Carlos played the entire 40 minutes.
Correct, he did.

So let's put this in perspective. When the schedule came out and we saw the tough test of Iona coming here for the home opener, would anyone in their wildest imagination have thought Hofstra could score 83 and win with Estrada being held to 10 pts on 3/10 shooting?

It's a huge testament to: 1) Estrada finding other ways to help the team win (like his six assists with only one turnover, his six rebounds, and his moving the ball to the right people when Iona forced it out of his hands), and 2) the myriad of other guys who stepped up in big ways to pick up for what Estrada lacked scoring-wise. Impressive win. They'll be favored against GW next, but after these first two games, make them 2.5 or 3-pt underdogs every game. ;) That seems to be working out well for them so far this season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This win getting attention from Jon Rothstein:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 6801871873
Polito

Post by Polito »

Huge GUTSY win!! Extremely proud and excited for this one, bout time HU gets Pitino! And in front of a fantastic crowd - what a performance, and without Williams again, so really no post game at all.

Big shoutouts to Thomas and Dubar, love seeing those two go off - and the complimentary play of JC and German et al

Grabbing this W against another solid Iona squad with AE not having to take over is awesome - he of course impacted in other ways like a leader does, esp when they’re getting triple teamed, but just a great sign of the depth of this team, and it’s unity

Super ball movement, big shots, and D when it mattered, this was a key impactful OOC game, kudos to the fellas

Think we got the shaping of a legit team here folks…
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pitino on Estrada:

"He didn’t force things. He’s a great player because he said, ‘Okay, they’re playing me well, let me get my teammate shots,’ and that’s what great players do."
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Pitino giving major props to Speedy and the entire team. Mentioned how great the crowd was. He also wants to continue home and home with Hofstra. that is what a real coach and AD does to develop a rivalry. Too bad St Johns is chickenshit. Pitino said he will also root for Hofstra to do well the rest of the season.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Great win for us beating a team that is currently ranked 9th in the most recent mid major poll by College Insider. Too bad I had to miss this one. Obviously a team win but special congrats to Thomas who shows what a great player we picked up here. D stone a big game as well but I want to single out JC for getting his game together and proving why everyone was making such a Big Deal out of his signing. I’ve been down on this kid but give credit where credit is due. Also Plotnikov making the most out of the minutes he got. This looks like a great pickup for us.

Just some food for thought we took 29 threes and hit 14. I wonder what the narrative on this board would have been had we shot in the 30% range in this game. It has been talked about a lot here our over reliance on the three ball. I watched some of the highlights and did get good looks with a lot of attention being paid to Estrada.

Just a quick mention of the crowd who everybody said was a major factor in this game. We had 3700 but for all the talk about limited tickets we should have had a bigger crowd no??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:Fantastic game, great crowd. Let's do it again Monday.
Solid all around game from Estrada who faced a double team almost the entire night and didn't get frustrated
Plotnikiov solid again
Understood from chalk talk that Manyang, Williams, and Tomasco all unavailable due to injury
Hey Cactus during the chalk talk does anyone ever ask questions?? When can we expect to see Williams? What kind of injury does he have?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Really good point made by Evan re not getting ANY second chance points. This is such an unusual stat and for us to win inspite of this shows how important our three point shooting was in this game. If we were off a bit we lose this game. We got out rebounded by 11 and only had 5 O rebounds. We need Williams on the floor!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

cactus wrote:Fantastic game, great crowd. Let's do it again Monday.
Plotnikiov solid again
Farmer is redshirting. He was posting stories to the Hofstra SAAC Instagram account and showed some behind the scenes views of the team, and when introducing himself he said he’s redshirting this year.

Pitino press conference: https://youtu.be/1NVCFuSBRY0