Re: Charleston @ MBB, Monday, 2/28/22, 7 PM

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Final regular-season game of the year:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/2/27/me ... onday.aspx
Senior Night! (after Senior Day)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... ame31b.pdf is our Game Notes.

https://cofcsports.com/news/2022/2/27/m ... night.aspx is titled "CofC Finishes Regular Season at Hofstra Monday Night." Dimitrius Underwood has three double-doubles in the last four games. He averages 11.6 points, leads them with 6.9 rebounds, and leads them with 3.7 assists.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... a_Away.pdf is Charleston's Game Notes. Their probable starters for us used our game yesterday, so they have Silverio and Simmons.

Charleston is seventh in the CAA in field goal percentage, seventh in three-point field goal percentage, and fifth in free throw percentage. The reason they lead the CAA in points per game is because of how many field goals they attempt. Out of 358 teams, they have the highest tempo according to KenPom, and they're ninth with 64.2 field goal attempts per game. Charleston will play their fourth road game in seven days and is coming off blowing a 16 point lead with 14:58 at Drexel and not trailing until a dunk with 1.7 seconds left. https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... M#team.ind has Charleston's statistics. They used eleven players yesterday, and ten players played in at least 24 of 29 games, with all ten averaging at least 11.8 minutes. Freshman Reyn Smith has 224 of his 272 attempts be threes, and their other players don't attempt many. Dimitrius Underwood, Babacar Faye, Osinachi Smart, and Charles Lampten combine to average 21.2 points with only 9.7 percent of their field goal attempts being threes. Smart and Lampten did not attempt a three. Smart impressively averages 4.8 rebounds in 14.9 minutes, and Lampten has 32 blocks in 341 minutes. They have a great rebounding margin of +6.3 per game. They average 5.3 shots blocked by opponents, and we average 2.8. They have a bad assist/turnover of 0.87.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

So do we think Speedy is going to play some new lineups? Try things out in a game that doesn't matter while also avoid giving Charleston a look at our main lineups before the quarterfinal match.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:So do we think Speedy is going to play some new lineups? Try things out in a game that doesn't matter while also avoid giving Charleston a look at our main lineups before the quarterfinal match.
Yes I think this is exactly what's going to happen here. Although Iyiola had 12 rebounds in our first matchup he only scored 4 points this team plays small for most of the game. Their bigs don't get a lot of minutes so this is a game we should play Cramer and let him do his thing. He can get us points, rebounds and blocked shots and it will be something for them to think about come next Saturday. Estrada scored 30 points in the first game we need to get away from everything running thru him first and move the ball and let him pick up some assists as others score from good looks created with ball movement. I definitely like the idea of switching things up in this game and hope the coaching staff does too but we still want to win this one. I really hope they start to utilize Cramer moving forward into the tourney.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

also we're 5.5 point favorites and according to ESPN have a 78.5% chance of winning this game.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I doubt we'll change much of anything for this game. If we have some secret sauce for Charleston, we'll save it for DC.

Expect our usual lineup and substitution patterns for this one.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We shall see if we show them wrinkles and of course thinking and hoping more minutes for Cramer.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:I doubt we'll change much of anything for this game. If we have some secret sauce for Charleston, we'll save it for DC.

Expect our usual lineup and substitution patterns for this one.
This is what Parrotta alluded after Saturday's game. They'd prefer not to have to play this game, but as long as they are, they want to play it normally, play well, and win to feel good heading to D.C. They also want to keep their regular rotation sharp with this being the last game action before the tourney, and they also don't want to mess around and give Charleston any extra confidence for Sunday by letting the Cougars get a win on HU's home floor tonight.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2022 ... fstra.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Charleston at Hofstra." This is the first time we have four consecutive CAA home games. KenPom expects us to win 83-77. Charleston relies on graduates and freshmen.

Rather than post in a topic about a blowout loss, I'll say here that the CAA said that Elon's 55 rebounds against us were 1 short of their team record against a Division I team. I don't remember when they moved up to Division I, but I think it was in the 1990s.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree fully with HUSID - this is going to be par for the course tonight as far as lineups and strategy. Any blips in the matrix will be pulled out for the CAAT.

Tonight, would love to see them come out with a chip and make a big statement going into the tourney. My gut says it's going to be too close, but I'm really hoping for a double digit HU win.

Icing on the cake would be a defensive focused win to boot, holding CofC to a lower score. HU really needs to find it's defensive intensity if it wants to win 3 in 3. This team can score, more often than not, but D is what will be the difference maker when it matters most.

Let's get that going tonight.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=368969 will have statistics.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=403286 has statistics of Delaware at Towson. Towson is on 12-2 run since the game resumed to lead 41-40 with 15:05 left.

Edit: We are starting Dubar, Burgess, Estrada, Ray, and Iyiola. Charleston is starting Reyne Smith (guard), Brenden Tucker (guard), Dimitrius Underwood (guard), Ben Burnham (forward), and Charles Lampten (forward). Lampten averages 1.9 points, 2.7 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks.

ESPN says we are favored by 5.5 with an over/under of 160. It is the first time this season that the over/under was at least 160.

Towson won 69-57 for their first regular season title since 1994, and their fans stormed the court. In today's part, Towson more than doubled Delaware 40-19. In the second half, Delaware had 1 assist and 10 turnovers.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

After 4:16, we lead 9-4. Burgess made the only 3, Ray and Iyiola scored 2, and Dubar has 2 points and 2 steals. Charleston has 5 turnovers, and we have 1.

Edit: We lead 14-11. Charleston has 8 turnovers, but we have 5 turnovers and 4 fouls. Before the second timeout, Charleston used 12 players.

Edit: With 3:48 left in the half, we went up 35-24, and Charleston called timeout. Silverio made a three to make him the first double-digit scorer on either team. 25 seconds later, Cooks' first shot was a three banked in. Charleston has 14 turnovers. Their leading scorer, John Meeks, made his only field goal, got fouled and missed the free throw. He has 5 turnovers.

Edit: We ended the half with Estrada missing a three and Iyiola getting the offensive rebound and scoring to go up 42-31, which ties our largest lead. Estrada and Silverio lead all scorers with 10. Iyiola has 6 points and 6 rebounds. We have 8 assists and 9 turnovers, and Estrada has 3 of each. Carlos entered with 10:59 left.
Cramer did not play even with Iyiola and Simmons committing 2 fouls. Estrada (20), Ray (16), Iyiola (16), and Silverio 916) played most of the half. Dubar scored 4 and only played 7 minutes. He had the only block for either team and tied Silverio for the most steals with 2. Charleston had 11 of their 12 players attempt a field goal, and five bench players scored. Their only player who didn't shoot was Nikita Evdokimov, who committed 3 turnovers. Charleston had 5 assists and 16 turnovers, and their only player with more than 1 assist is Reyne Smith. With 3, he more than doubled his average of 1.3. Ben Burnham, who entered with 20 threes in 29 games, made 2 and leads them with 8 points. Rebounds were tied at 18, which is great considering their season margin is +6.5 and ours is -1.9. Each team committed 8 fouls. Charleston attempted 25 field goals, so they are on pace for 50, and their only game with 50 or fewer was their last home game when they attempted 47 against Towson.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Top two offenses in the CAA. CofC of 1, HU 2.

So, one good takeaway is that HU held Charleston to just 31 pts in the first half on just 40% (10/25).

Two others are the leading scorers: Estrada and Silverio with 10 each. After a couple of tough games offensively, Estrada looked in that half to be back to what he was doing before (including 2/4 from 3) and Silverio continues to look like a key x-factor. He will be a huge x-factor in at least one or two spots if they go far in the tourney.

But one not so good thing... where's Cramer? They could really use him in the tourney and he can use some game action tonight. Would be good to see him in the second half.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

An announcer said Cramer is "under the weather."

Our lead went down to 6, and we lead 53-44. With 13:58 left, Charleston has 5 fouls and 4 turnovers in the half. Estrada, Silverio, and Ben Burnham are tied for the lead with 13 points. Burnham averages 7.6.

Edit: We went up 12 for our largest lead, but Charleston has the ball down 59-50 with 11:56 left. After scoring 31 in the first half, Charleston scored 19 in 8:04. Burgess leads all players with 5 assists, which were all in a span of 5:58 in the second half.

Edit: Charleston got within 6. They had the ball down 7, but Estrada stole it with 7:50 left and made a 3 with 7:44 left to go up 68-58. Iyiola fouled out with 8:48 left, and Simmons has 4 fouls. Estrada scored 20, and Silverio scored 17. Reyne Smith shot 4-4 with 3 of them being threes to score 11 after not attempting a shot in the first half. Charleston has 8 fouls, and we have 7.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We held on to win 89-84. Charleston got within 3. With 42.2 seconds left, Estrada made an open three to go up 83-77. Reyne Smith made a three with 13 seconds left. Estrada made 2 free throws to go up 87-82. With 8 seconds left, Burgess fouled Smith in act of shooting a three. He entered shooting free throws .934. He made 2 to go down 3 and intentionally missed the third. The announcers and I disagree with the strategy because of how much time was left. Ray got the rebound and made 2 free throws. John Meeks missed a three, and Charleston did not foul down 5. I'm going to post many statistics, but I will say this. Estrada had 28 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, and 7 turnovers. He became the thirteenth player and first CAA player from 2010-2011 to now to have at least that many of those four statistics. Charleston became the first team from 2010-2011 to now to make at least 11 three-pointers, have at least 19 assists, commit at least 23 fouls, and commit at least 28 turnovers. I did not even have to put "at least 84 points" in order to find a combination that happened for the first time in that time.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: After a couple of tough games offensively, Estrada looked in that half to be back to what he was doing before (including 2/4 from 3)
From the man himself on this:

"It gives me a big confidence boost because the past two games, I was struggling shooting the ball. I wasn’t really efficient the last two games. So, I never got too low on myself or anything like that. Everybody just tells me to keep shooting, so this game really did give me a lot of confidence going into the tournament."
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Good to hear on Estrada. Never felt like we were really in trouble in this game. Yeh we ended up winning by five, fairly close but it seemed we were in control.

Cramer has had a strange year; not playing, injuries and now this. Thought I did see him on the bench though.
Last edited by HUSID80 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Estrada is third on us with 1.878 assists per turnover, and Burgess is third on us with 2.567 assists. The only other teams with three players averaging that many assists and that many assists per turnover are Duke and Houston.