So who will Speedy add to his staff

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: So who will Speedy add to his staff

Post by Polito »

Upon further thought on this, there is no way HU's hoops budget is only 1mil. I'm going to put them at the 2mil mark, give or take. The avg CAA budget is 2.9, median about 2.8, JMU is likely the very top, but there is no chance HU only has a million bucks - 3/4 of the entire basketball landscape have more than that, and HU is in the upper half of the CAA which is upper middle half of all the conf for basketball budgets based on the number assessments over the years (12ish out of all).

As I've always said, HU does have some money to do good things. They aren't Duke (over 20 million dollar budget lol), but they are not broke. Fortunately. That said, COVID is no doubt a factor and has surely make a dent, so that has to be taken into consideration. The fact HU couldn't get there normal pay games to help subsidize the budget no doubt hurt.

And I'm also not convinced they aren't paying JM full salary, at least for a time. At a minimum they are for this year / season, however his contract is laid out in terms of the pay year. Hopefully there is something reasonable occurring on that end. Most HC contracts are extremely profitable / costly no matter what happens - they are more favorable than most CEO deals nowadays. But perhaps HU and JM and whatever contract theyd have can and is being altered to be fair to both.

This is the flagship program in one of the most costly places in the country, you're not running a solid mid major program with a HC (at the time) making over 600k for just a million bucks. I'd say there's at least $500-600k for 3 assistants. That's plenty. Get a STUD for half and divide the rest among 2, and we good to go. I'm expecting a big time staff here, esp with Speedy's contacts. HU went the easy route and got super lucky they even had someone as marketable as Speedy to do so with, so they damn sure better back this up with some beef.

Get a 'name' as your top guy that can help reel in and coach top recruits (esp BIGS) and x and o like a boss, and the other 2 can be a mix of an up and coming younger cat from an existing trustworthy successful program / staff, a pro contact coaching at a pro level somewhere, and / or a key piece from the AAU / high profile prep / hs program ranks. And I believe HU's budget and Speedy's rolodex can do all of that. Do that, and we've got something cooking.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito I said salary budget not total budget
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am not a contract lawyer but there is no way JAM's contract is setup that he would be fully paid his salary if he can't perform his duties. And if it was setup that way Hofstra would be smart enough to pay for a disability insurance policy on him to cover the salary and if they didn't well then his salary shouldn't be charged to the basketball budget. One of their biggest donors (James Metzger) sells insurance. Now Hofstra probably paid him his full salary for the 2020-21 season since I think we can all agree it was the right thing to do but now that he has moved on to a different role I can't imagine them still doing this.

Do you think Cluess was still being paid by Iona when he shifted from head coach to advisory role for medical reasons?

But whatever the case is with JAM's contract and pay even if he was making $0 I don't think we would be paying an assistant $250-$300k as some people are thinking it will need to get Pecora. So if that is the case then we mine as well stop talking about him.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:I am not a contract lawyer but there is no way JAM's contract is setup that he would be fully paid his salary if he can't perform his duties. And if it was setup that way Hofstra would be smart enough to pay for a disability insurance policy on him to cover the salary and if they didn't well then his salary shouldn't be charged to the basketball budget. One of their biggest donors (James Metzger) sells insurance. Now Hofstra probably paid him his full salary for the 2020-21 season since I think we can all agree it was the right thing to do but now that he has moved on to a different role I can't imagine them still doing this.

Do you think Cluess was still being paid by Iona when he shifted from head coach to advisory role for medical reasons?

But whatever the case is with JAM's contract and pay even if he was making $0 I don't think we would be paying an assistant $250-$300k as some people are thinking it will need to get Pecora. So if that is the case then we mine as well stop talking about him.
I think you're making good points here HM and it makes little sense moving forward for Joe to be making the same money now as he would be paid to run this program with all the responsibilities that come with the job. This is a high stress difficult job that is all about recruiting your ass off and then being able to win with your recruits. I really don't think it's unrealistic to assume an asst. head coach here who has a HC job on his resume gets paid 300K. If they value this program the way they talk it up they will pony up the money!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

We can afford to pay a lead assistant 200-300k. The school has never been in better financial shape. Most of you here think we are dealing with 1990s Hofstra. World of difference now. Drop the low expectations mentality.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe thats to be seen I hope you are wright
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink

This webinar above for Hofstra summer camps from last Wednesday had Colin Curtin as one of the speakers talking about the hoops camp. It was day that Speedy was announced so no mention of that.
Polito

Post by Polito »

100% Joe. 1000%. I'd upvote you all day if that were a feature here. The inferiority complex around here is baffling sometimes. This isn't 1950, and HU isn't a community college. Now granted HU's admin acts that way sometimes, but let us not do that too pls! :D ELEVATE EXPECTATIONS!

I think everyone needs to consider that it's less about what HU wants to pay and more about what it takes to field a D1 program in today's landscape. Of course there are reasonable limits, but it's baffling to me that some of you think a Quinnipiac for goodness sake will pay an assistant 350k and an Iona will be a HC 1.5 MILLION but HU somehow can get away with paying a top assistant for the flagship sport at the D1 level in a top 15 conf 100k a year. What coach worth a darn would take that? On LI? Not a one. They will pay. They have to.

We also need to remember that HU also has expectations to meet in it's own conference to be in good standing - this isn't HS. Schools have to pay MARKET RATES - otherwise you can't survive. It's the same in the corporate world - I'm sure companies would love to pay less for key roles, but if they do they won't have anyone. Most here never believed a HC would get 600+k a year - well they do, and that number will go up in time as well. You know why? Because that's what it takes.

HU can absolutely afford enough - the key for me is the commitment level and the business sense of the admin. But frankly Speedy isn't getting his seasoned staff w/out the proper com packages, so I don't think they have a choice - thankfully for us all, the market will force them into doing things the right way.

It's time to WIN - championships and berths, nothing less matters. Give Speedy what he needs, and I do believe he will fill the staff ranks with heavy hitters.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We are not going to be restricted by the budget, whatever that is.

We will do what it takes to bring in the rights assistants to help Speedy, trust me.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I stand corrected on the assistant coach salary then. I had no idea the market was that high for them.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

stuball888 wrote:We will not see Tom Pecora here unless the school is willing to shell out 250k thats not happening
Can we really not match what Quinnipiac pays an assistant? I understand times are tougher, but i think is says a lot about our commitment to athletics if we can't match a MAAC school. I'm all in on Speedy, but lets give him the resources to operate. I think he's going to be a good coach, but it's not a one man job. I'm sure every head coach would tell you how important their staffs are and if you want a good one, it costs some money. They have a great recruiting edge now, but it goes away if you don't win.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually Pecora is getting 350k from Quinipiac is Hofstra willing to go that high to get a top notch asst
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Here's a name to consider as a former head coach and mentor to Speedy...AL SKINNER...won 265 games at Boston College, played in the NBA I beleive, local product, Malverne HS, resigned from Kennesaw St in 2019.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Pride97 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:We will not see Tom Pecora here unless the school is willing to shell out 250k thats not happening
Can we really not match what Quinnipiac pays an assistant? I understand times are tougher, but i think is says a lot about our commitment to athletics if we can't match a MAAC school. I'm all in on Speedy, but lets give him the resources to operate. I think he's going to be a good coach, but it's not a one man job. I'm sure every head coach would tell you how important their staffs are and if you want a good one, it costs some money. They have a great recruiting edge now, but it goes away if you don't win.
Pride97 - Right On!

I am 100% comfortable with Speedy-100%!
But where is the committment - if you are not going to give him the bullets in the gun - that EVERY coach needs - "its NOT a one man job"
JAM had a decent staff - no? We took one of his assistants and PSU took another one of them...so JAM had a decent staff - so I know they'll pony up for assistants
I believe that - there is no question they will give Speedy the money to hire that staff - I just wish that it was done (I am inpatient)...
It will work out - I also believe that there coaches that want to work and see Speedy succeed - just like there are pplayers that want to play for him.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Here's a name to consider as a former head coach and mentor to Speedy...AL SKINNER...won 265 games at Boston College, played in the NBA I beleive, local product, Malverne HS, resigned from Kennesaw St in 2019.
He was a Hofstra HC candidate before the Tim Welsh signing.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Here's a name to consider as a former head coach and mentor to Speedy...AL SKINNER...won 265 games at Boston College, played in the NBA I beleive, local product, Malverne HS, resigned from Kennesaw St in 2019.
Skinner? Good one!

How about Jim Ferry - former interim HC at PSU - Long Islander - good recruiter/HC experience - up tempo offensive minded
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
Wags wrote:
Skinner? Good one!

How about Jim Ferry - former interim HC at PSU - Long Islander - good recruiter/HC experience - up tempo offensive minded
Too late: https://twitter.com/UMBCAthletics/statu ... 4147000322
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Former Knick asst coach Herb Williams
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

daHUPride wrote:
Wags wrote:
Skinner? Good one!

Also gave Mo Cassara his first big time D1 job.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

2 assistant job postings are up. I wonder if that means we have 1 assistant line up, but not ready to be announced.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=d7e ... um=twitter