Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: Coaching search

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Did you guys know Grant just got hired at BC?? Done at CofC. Perhaps I'm late, lol, just saw this - big news IMO. This conf is so wide open for someone to dominate it's not even funny.

There are some really intriguing names on this list for HU - Gregg Marshall please!! (I know, I know...but I'd hire him in a NY minute - worth every risk)

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/coaching-carousel-2021/
No way they touch Marshall, especially post Tim Welsch and post player thefts. I would be surprised if it isn't Farrelly for stability.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hofstra wrote:I dont understand why everyone thinks he deserves a shot?We gave him a shot right? Picked first in the conference preseason. What did he do this year to warrant him being named head coach this year? Elon blew the doors off of us in the biggest game of the season.

We have Jacquan Carlos coming in, which is amazing. We cant sacrifice our future and be afraid of losing a recruit because of a coaching search imo.
Carlos was recruited by the current coaching staff...Speedy in particular. He will not come if Speedy ends up leaving...that's how it goes these days.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The Shadow wrote:Well, that answered a few of my questions! So, a national search begins! I wonder what AD Cole Jr. is thinking? Where do you see him going? I hope he calls Jay Hernandez, Norman Richardson, Speedy Claxton, and Brett Gunning. Is Coach Mike the front runner, or did the Elon game in the CAAT change his evaluation? Is Cole looking for an established coach, or an assistant from the HU program or another college? What is the budget for the coach? Does President Rabinowitz have the only input, or does Dr. Poser become involved? What is the long term viability of the CAA, FloSports and LSN? I think we all have so many questions. I would like to hear what others think.
When Joe got sick the interim tag was offered to Mike with the understanding that if Joe did not return a search would be opened up. He took the interim tag understanding that.

I understand that both Speedy and Mike will be interviewed for the HC position.
Polito

Post by Polito »

IF we could somehow get Grasso and keep Farrelly and Speedy, THATS a champion play - I would be ecstatic for that, and would put money on HU dancing soon after - HU can double his salary, easily - checks off all boxes to me, but the key would be maintaining the staff - I know that’s tough as most guys want to bring their own...

BUT there’s a deep bond between him and Cole, it could be done - and coaching changes have done this in the past - it’s possible

Can you imagine those 3 recruiting?? Good gracious. And I would take that combo ALL DAY.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:IF we could somehow get Grasso and keep Farrelly and Speedy, THATS a champion play - I would be ecstatic for that, and would put money on HU dancing soon after - HU can double his salary, easily - checks off all boxes to me, but the key would be maintaining the staff - I know that’s tough as most guys want to bring their own...

BUT there’s a deep bond between him and Cole, it could be done - and coaching changes have done this in the past - it’s possible

Can you imagine those 3 recruiting?? Good gracious. And I would take that combo ALL DAY.
I agree from a recruiting stand point - thatd be a 3some to be pproud of
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Some random thoughts about our coaching situation:

I do think it’s time for Coach Mihalich to step aside. He did what he was hired to do, and had some success along the way. It’s sad that he did not have a chance to return to the NCAAT last year. I hope he is remembered for winning both the regular season and conference tournament in 2019-20. It’s difficult to do both in the same season.

Rick Cole – Five years at Iona, did not hire Tim Cluess, the coach many on this board would have liked to have seen at Hofstra. Before Iona, Rick was AD at D2 Dowling and held lesser positions at St. John’s and Stony Brook. This will be his first significant hire.

Coach Mihalich’s contract runs through 2024. His new role is a way to provide income and benefits for three more years. Will the next HC feel comfortable having the former coach looking over his shoulder?

If a new coach comes in, it is unlikely that any of the existing staff stays on. I would hate to lose Speedy. How many of our current players and recruits would stay? I could see a bigger school luring Cramer away after he proved he is healthy and able to play at a the D1 level.

On a positive note, a new coach would bring fresh ideas, his own staff and his own recruiting contacts. We might become more competitive in only two or three years.

Not promoting any candidates, but Van Macon could be a possibility. Solid recruiter, big-conference experience, known to Hofstra, a local guy like our AD:

https://redstormsports.com/sports/mens- ... -macon/409
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I;m hoping this ends up where we see the school do its due diligence but end up hiring Farrelly full time with Speedy as the assistant. However, I'd also like them to hire a defensive guru assistant so Farrelly can concentrate on being the head coach.
The rest of the CAA struggles so much keeping their talented kids and this staff has been tremendous at it. Carlos and Cramer are two of the most talented kids this program has ever had. Would hate to see Green, Kante, and others leave as well.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

joeg1 wrote:I'd like to see more of a veteran take the lead. I think we've outgrown turning the keys over to a rookie. Someone comparable to Welch or Mihalich. Like Marteli.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Martelli's ship sailed a long time ago.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

joeg1 wrote:This is not the same program Tom Pecora left to go to Fordham. Hofstra is not the same University that dropped football in 2009. Those of you who enjoy knocking Rabinowitz need to come to grips that he is leaving Hofstra on rock solid footing, unlike a lot of its mid-sized, private cohorts. Google the list of universities with medical schools- there aren't that many, and it's pretty impressive. I agree with Polito; the small time thinking is (or at least should be) in the past. This is a world class school- not the same place many of us attended. Paying a D1 coach 500k annually (minimum) for the flagship athletics program is not a hurdle we need to sweat.
Our current coach makes way more than $500k.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

ToHUSID80, You seem to know about some of the planning that that the HU Athletic Department is considering. Do you think this is all President Rabinowitz's decision, or is Dr. Poser also involved? Also, what do you think about the future of the CAA? Do you think there is a strict budget for the hire?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

daHUPride wrote:
Polito wrote:IF we could somehow get Grasso and keep Farrelly and Speedy, THATS a champion play - I would be ecstatic for that, and would put money on HU dancing soon after - HU can double his salary, easily - checks off all boxes to me, but the key would be maintaining the staff - I know that’s tough as most guys want to bring their own...

I agree from a recruiting stand point - thatd be a 3some to be pproud of
Important to remember that Cluess/Grasso took risks on a lot of recruits at Iona in terms of academics/character that would not fly at Hofstra, especially post Cassara. Am sure he would still be a great recruiter regardless but have to keep that context in mind when viewing him as potential candidate.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The Shadow wrote:ToHUSID80, You seem to know about some of the planning that that the HU Athletic Department is considering. Do you think this is all President Rabinowitz's decision, or is Dr. Poser also involved? Also, what do you think about the future of the CAA? Do you think there is a strict budget for the hire?
Can't answer this for sure but my guess is that Pres Rabinowitz is keeping his successor informed...as for the CAA I don't think we have much of a choice at the moment unfortunately. I personally would like to see Fordham wake up and go back to the Patriot League where they belong...and then hopefully Hofstra would do anything in its power to take that NY slot.

As for the budget for the hire, the cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to hire Farrelly and promote Speedy...that still may be the best route but I don't think dollars, if reasonable will be an issue.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUSID80, Thanks for the information. I also agree about everything you mention. Do you think there is a timeline for this hire? I would guess for the recruiting aspect, a long process would be a disadvantage.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Can't even begin to express how disheartened I am to see the fearful posts being made here - where is the excitement for an opportunity to take this program to the next level??

I'm not saying I want the staff blown up, but good grief can we at least explore better options? What in the world are you all trying to hold on to?

Some of you actually want this 'national search' to be a dog and pony show of BS just to hire Farrelly?? What the heck is going on here? Can we toughen up a bit and raise our standards please - can we actually make moves to start WINNING championships and go dancing?? Sheez guys, have you gotten that soft and weak that you are now comfortable sitting at home watching other mid majors every friggin March??

Can we please stop using Welsh as an excuse to never make a bold move ever again in the history of Hofstra? I mean c'mon guys it's been a DECADE, let it go. So now we can't ever take a calculated chance again to elevate? How the hell are we ever going to improve? And by the way, never heard a peep from all those 'high risk' kids at Iona. I did however see them in the NCAAT.

Certainly taking a risk with Pitino is something most programs would not have done, for good reason - but can we at least think a little outside the box? At least that school has a pair and puts it's money where it's mouth is because they actually will do what it takes to win. They didn't miss a beat because they didn't allow themselves to, didn't accept good enough, didn't think well shoot we had our run, nope they went out and made a business decision. And low and behold it worked. Crazy how that happens.

This staff, even WITH Joe, has shown little ability to win the league. You're impressed with 1 NCAAT and a couple of NITs (one of which should've been a dance) and zero wins in any of them? And a whole lot of choking along the way? Holy cow... Meanwhile the Ionas, Vermonts, Winthrops, and countless others are blowing on by. For them NOT making it is shock. For us it's friggin miracle. I thought we all wanted better, pretty disappointing.

Hey I love Cramer and Carlos and all the great players they have recruited. I don't want to lose them or that great recruiting. But guys, where are the berths? When is it going to pay off on a reasonable basis? And no, 20 years is not reasonable, it's ridiculous. Does no good having the talent to then finish 3rd or 4th all the time, not interested.

You guys only want 'stability' (of what, being home every march?) and going the cheap and easy route?? GGAAGGHH - this makes my skin crawl.

If this 'national search' turns out to be a fake act, I'm done. That doesn't mean we can't name Farrelly the guy, I've already said I can handle giving him a chance... BUT he better be the BEST true option after having exhausted ALL others. Not just because HU has no vision or commitment. I'll support Farrelly, IF --> IF <-- he is truly the best choice among all of the amazing options that are out there. And there are a LOT.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

If they just remove the interim tag from Farrelly, the "national search" was a farce, and the school cannot afford to pay Joe in his advisory role and a HC. I would assume that's how it goes.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If we are not able to get a veteran coach, all else equal, I like Speedy over Farrelly. Does Speedy want to be a HC?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

joeg1 wrote:If we are not able to get a veteran coach, all else equal, I like Speedy over Farrelly. Does Speedy want to be a HC?
I can’t see that happening, especially after Farrelly was acting head coach this season and has more experience. I like Speedy but don’t think he is head coach ready yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

If Hofstra basketball ever wants to realize its full potential, they must fully exhaust all of their options in this coaching search. It must be a legitimate search. I believe Hofstra can draw a better and more experienced coach than what they currently have. Hofstra’s head coach should always be on the Joe Mihalich level or above. If they are able to find such a coach, they have to pounce on it.

Our current AD left Iona to come here. That school then signed a millon dollar a year coach. And some of you are OK with just keeping Farrelly??? He definitely deserved a shot this year as interim head coach. He’s been a very good assistant here and did great work with the 2020 team’s defense which led to a championship. Colin Curtin has also been a great asset for many years. Speedy Claxton IS HOFSTRA BASKETBALL and he has drawn great recruits to the program. I love this group as assistants under an experienced coach like Joe. Unfortunately this season without Joe, the staff did not impress. There’s just no way around it. Everyone knows this was a difficult year with the COVID protocols, but every program in the country was dealing with the same circumstances. I don’t think it’s asking a lot to beat Elon and Drexel in an empty JMU arena. In my opinion, if Joe was coaching the team this year, they would have cut down the nets again. Instead we witnessed a very mediocre regular season and a complete failure in the CAA tournament.

Hofstra is an attractive job and the CAA is ripe for the taking. There has never been a better time for a program to assert it's dominance in this league than now. I would expect to see a strong list of candidates. I think this is a crucial point for our program. Let's see how things play out.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
joeg1 wrote:If we are not able to get a veteran coach, all else equal, I like Speedy over Farrelly. Does Speedy want to be a HC?
I can’t see that happening, especially after Farrelly was acting head coach this season and has more experience. I like Speedy but don’t think he is head coach ready yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll take nine years as a player in the Association, several years as an nba scout, and about 6 yrs as a HU asst over a year as an interim hc, and about 10 yrs as an asst at mid majors.

Typically, if you go the asst route, you go after one from a major program
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

You're assuming that Speedy wants to be head coach here and IMO listening to the CC&C chronicles I just don't see this. A lot of pressure that he doesn't need in his life and clearly he doesn't need the money. I don't have any inside info. it's just my gut feeling for what it's worth. I believe the points that have been expressed here are very valid and this is a crucial time for our basketball program to take a leap or just continue on a status quo path maybe even wind up going backwards which clearly we want to avoid. I don't feel that our current players are going anywhere no matter which direction we chose with the one caveat that we keep Speedy on. Speedy is the major important piece in this puzzle with his recruiting and bonds to the players. His resume speaks volumes and is compelling for prospective recruits. In no way am I dissing Mike and think he did an admirable job under duress and in a very difficult situation but like someone has already stated he's not the heir to the throne and needs to beat out legitimately all other viable candidates. I don't believe in any way that we go after someone who has red flags in his resume I don't want a deja-vu of the Cassara debacle. The program should be run with the highest integrity but also with the goal to win the CAA every year. Lots of well thought out opinions here guys.