Game 16 at UNC Wilmington on January 30, 2021 at 1:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: Game 16 at UNC Wilmington on January 30, 2021 at 1:00 P.

Post by Hofstra »

Great win. Everyone chipped in. Glad to be at full strength.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Almost full except Coburn??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:Almost full except Coburn??

Yes. True.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Coburn probably sick no? He was dressed!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Coach MF just mentioned in the postgame press conference that TC will be out again Sunday. He also mentioned there were 4 freshmen playing for HU this afternoon. Can anyone remember when this might have occurred previously?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Coburn injured, out tomorrow too, re Mike post game

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:Coburn injured, out tomorrow too, re Mike post game

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Nothing good about that bring on the kiddie core. Everyone chips in Masic, Silverio, Green and hopefully Bethea as well. Joe must be scratching his head, lol.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/1/30/me ... -uncw.aspx is titled "MBB: Hofstra Extends Win Streak To Four With Victory Over UNCW."

We won 82-73. Four players combined to shoot 68, and they all made over half of their field goal attempts. Kante shot 8-11 and free throws 2-2 to lead us with 18. Ray shot 5-9 (including threes 3-7) and free throws 4-4 to score 17. Silverio shot 7-9 (including threes 2-4) and free throws 1-1 to score a career-high 17. His previous career-high was 13, and his previous career high away was 10. Ray and Silverio made all of their twos. Cramer shot 7-10 (including threes 1-3) and free throws 1-2 to score 16. Green made 1 two, 1 three, and 2 free throws to score 7 without a miss in 10 minutes, and he had 2 rebounds. Masic had 6 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists. Burgess shot 0-7 and shot free throws 1-4 including missing 2 with 34 seconds left. He had 5 rebounds and 6 assists. He became the 22nd player from 2010-2011 to now to attempt at least 7 field goals, score 0 or 1 (no field goals made), have at least 5 rebounds, and have at least 6 assists. The only previous CAA player to do that during that span was James Madison's Ron Curry hosting High Point on December 20, 2014, so this was the first time during that span that a player did that in a game between two CAA teams. Silverio played 28 minutes and Green played 10, so they combined for about how many Coburn would have played.

Mike Okauru led all players with 21 points and 7 assists, but he shot 7-19. Joe Prdigen shot field goals 8-11 without attempting a three and led them with 8 rebounds. Ty Gadsden shot 4-11, with every attempt being a three, and did not attempt a free throw, so he scored 12. He entered with 57.6 percent of his attempts being threes. John Bowen shot 6-6 to have 12 points, and he had 6 rebounds. However, he fouled out in 18 minutes, and did not block a shot after entering averaging 1.1 blocks. His +/- was -9, so UNCW was -9 when he played and even when he didn't play. Jamahri Harvey scored 7, and his 4 assists were over three times his average of 1.25 before the game. Jake Boggs scored 4, and Imajae had 1 foul and no positive contributions in 2 minutes. 6 players played 198 of their minutes. Bowen played 18, and their starters played 180.

Both teams shot twos much better than threes. We shot twos 24/35 = .686 and threes 7/19 =.368. UNCW shot twos 22/34 = .647 and threes 8/29 of .276. We had 35 percent of our attempts be threes, and UNCW had 46 percent of their attempts be threes. We shot free throws 13/18 = .722, and UNCW shot 5/7 = .714. We made 12 of 16 free throws in the second half. From last Sunday until 8:43 left today, we attempted 10 free throws in 71:17, which is 1 every 427.7 seconds. Then we attempted 16 free throws in 8:43, which is 1 every 32.7 seconds, which is 13.1 times the rate of 1 every 427.7 seconds. We had 50 percent more rebounds, 36 to 24, which improved our season differential from -2 to +10, which is +0.6 per game.

We had 82 points with only 5 points off turnovers, which I would expect to be rare. It was the first time we had at least 82 points and 5 or fewer points off turnovers since our upset loss to UNCW in the CAA Quarterfinals on March 4, 2018 by the score of 93-88.

Our opponents continue to have a great assist-to-turnover ratio. UNCW had 17 assists and 5 turnovers. It was the 92nd time from 2010-2011 to now that a team had at least 17 assists and 5 or fewer turnovers in loss. That includes six games between two CAA teams and two nonconference CAA games. It was the first time either team did that in a game we played in since we had 19 assists and 4 turnovers in a 77-69 to Old Dominion on March 6, 2011, which in the CAA Semifinals, and it was Charles Jenkins' second-to-last game. After that, we lost to Evansville in the CBI. We are one of 19 teams to do and have an opponent do that.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: Coach MF just mentioned in the postgame press conference that TC will be out again Sunday. He also mentioned there were 4 freshmen playing for HU this afternoon. Can anyone remember when this might have occurred previously?
I can't guarantee it was the last time, but I checked the triple overtime win hosting UNCW on January 14, 2006. We won 92-87, and Loren Stokes banked in a three. Adrian Uter missed that game, so Arminas Urbutis, Chris Gadley, and Mike Davis-Sabb played more. Those three forwards and guards Greg Johnson and Zygis Sestokas were five freshmen in that game. Here are other seasons:

2005-2006 (5): Described above
2007-2008 (4): Charles Jenkins, Nathaniel Lester, Greg Washington, and David Vallins (who I'm guessing was a walk-on) played 3 games
2009-2010 (5): Chaz Williams, Halil Kanacevic, Yves Jules, David Imes, and Matt Grogan (we used ten players half of whom were freshmen)
2010-2011 (4): Shemiye McLendon, Stephen Nwaukoni, Paul Bilbo, and Roland Brown
2012-2013 (5): Jordan Allen, Darren Payen, and three of the four thieves
2019-2020 (4): Caleb Burgess, Jermaine Miranda, Hal Hughes, and Carl Gibson Jr.

For redshirt freshmen, I only included when they played. We got 41 points from freshmen last season and 10 points from freshmen two seasons ago when Schutte was our only freshman. Today we got 29 points from freshmen. At today's rate, we would get more points from freshmen in two games than in the previous two seasons.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... M#team.ind updated our statistics quicker than usual. I already said that he now have a positive rebounding differential, and we also now have more assists than turnovers.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To EvanJ, Great work! Thanks for doing the research. There are real names for some former players. Thanks also for not listing the former thieves that caused so many problems.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Pride97 wrote:May be the best game Omar has played. Excellent drive to the hoop after hitting a three.

Also a better effort on the defensive end. Played within himself today and that was a nice surprise.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Probably the best offensive game all year? Green hit shots, Cramer was efficient, Omar as mentioned showed out. Kante productive as always.

Omar is a chucker -- while that term is usually pejorative, I think it is EXACTLY what this team needs, a guy with no conscience who will not hesitate to keep shooting. Sometimes he'll be cold, but when he's hot, he can literally win games. Good for him to come back like that after a long layoff, play within himself and help contribute in a big way to getting the W.
Wags

Post by Wags »

RollPride15 wrote:Probably the best offensive game all year? Green hit shots, Cramer was efficient, Omar as mentioned showed out. Kante productive as always.

Omar is a chucker -- while that term is usually pejorative, I think it is EXACTLY what this team needs, a guy with no conscience who will not hesitate to keep shooting. Sometimes he'll be cold, but when he's hot, he can literally win games. Good for him to come back like that after a long layoff, play within himself and help contribute in a big way to getting the W.
Possibly the best offensive game this year, but I think the Monmouth game had this one beat from that perspective.

Still, what a way for some guys to step up today.

For Silverio to be that efficient (7/9 fg) after not playing in so long, major props to him to be ready and to get the job done in that situation when needed. It would have been totally excusable if he had flopped today after that kind of a layoff, yet he did just the opposite on a day when HU was shorthanded. Great job by him, especially (and that comes from someone who has not been too high on Silverio since last year - but hey, credit where it's due and he deserves a lot of that for this game).

Huge 3 from Silverio to give HU breathing room at 73-65 with 2:49 left. If he misses that and it's only a five-point game, and UNCW with the ball, it might've been a lot tougher to win down the stretch.

Great balance today: Kante 18 pts (also efficient, 8/11 fg), Silverio and Ray with 17 each and Carmer with 16 (again, efficient - 7/10 fg). That kind of balance from four different guys is tough to beat. And to have that with Coburn out and Burgess going 0/7, on the road, says a lot. With Burgess 0/7 and scoring only one point, it's almost like having two starters out from a scoring standpoint. Yet they still get that balance from four others and put up 82 pts? I've been preaching defense and they will ultimately need that to win another CAA tourney, but I've also said that along the way, they'll have their games that will be won on offense - today was one of those.

Don't look now, but after being 2-3 in the CAA, they have a chance to win a fifth straight game tomorrow before returning home again, and with NU postponed today, they're suddenly - despite getting swept by NU - only 1.5 games out of first place. Things can change so quickly in this conference. The main thing is to be playing well in February and as they close January, HU seems poised to do that. But let's see how tomorrow goes. Going to obviously need guys to step up again with Coburn out again.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Should Silverio start over Masic?

If Cramer starts tomorrow, he will tie Green for the fifth and sixth most starts with 8. Since we joined the CAA, the most starts by a player without being among the five players with the most starts was 20 by Chaz Williams in 2009-2010. Jenkins started all 34 games. Greg Washington (30), Miklos Szabo (30), Cornelius Vines (27), Nathaniel Lester (22), and Williams all started a majority of the games. Since we joined the CAA, here are players who had at least 20 starts as a freshman:

Jamall Robinson in 2013-2014: 33 (every game)
Antoine Agudio in 2004-2005: 30 (every game)
Eli Pemberton in 2016-2017: 30
Charles Jenkins in 2007-2008: 29
Jordan Allen in 2012-2013: 24
Loren Stokes in 2003-2004: 21
Carlos Rivera in 2003-2004: 21
Kenny Adeleke in 2001-2002: 20
Chaz Williams in 2009-2010: 20

I don't think any of you would have guessed that Robinson has our record for most starts by a freshman. I don't have to check earlier seasons because we didn't play 33 games in a season before we joined the CAA. In order to reach 20 starts, Cramer must start every CAA game without any cancellations and start at least four games in the CAA Tournament and a tournament after that. Green has one more start than Cramer, but Green won't start every remaining game.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I just checked CAA standings and noticed that NU games this weekend and next are postponed. Craaaazy season for sure. Hoping our guys area can stay healthy and safe.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:I just checked CAA standings and noticed that NU games this weekend and next are postponed. Craaaazy season for sure. Hoping our guys area can stay healthy and safe.
Helps Hofstra a little bit - NU @ Drexel and Charleston @ JMU both postponed for tomorrow (1/31). Instead of those, Drexel will now suddenly play at JMU tomorrow. They'll of course have Mon-Fri to recuperate before coming to Hempstead next weekend, but every little advantage helps. Rather play the Dragons a few days after they make an unexpected visit to Harrisonburg than a few days after they play at home in Philly. Plus, they may have a tough time getting home after the trip to JMU since a lot of snow is on the way tomorrow night, through Monday. HU may encounter the same, but probably not as bad as Drexel, coming home to Hempstead, with the storm first moving through Philly before it gets here. Will it mean much for next Sat & Sun? Maybe not, but HU will take every edge it can get! If the Pride can get tomorrow's game and can sweep Drexel at home, all of a sudden, they're 9-3, on a seven-game streak and looking like the team that was picked to win the league with one-third of the CAA schedule left.

p.s. that UNCW @ Elon game at 4 pm next Sunday is a rough time. I guess Elon doesn't care much about seeing the start of the Super Bowl. At least Hofstra is playing at 2 pm that day.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I e-mailed UNCW about Bethea mistakenly being listed with 0 minutes. The statistics are changed, and his miss was changed from a three to a two. Our percentage shooting threes is up from 7/19 = .368 to 7/18 = .389.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

quote Evan; I don't think any of you would have guessed that Robinson has our record for most starts by a freshman. I don't have to check earlier seasons because we didn't play 33 games in a season before we joined the CAA. In order to reach 20 starts, Cramer must start every CAA game without any cancellations and start at least four games in the CAA Tournament and a tournament after that. Green has one more start than Cramer, but Green won't start every remaining game.

Robinson had a nice freshman season averaging 9.5 points a game and was rookie of the week 5x first freshman to start every game since Claxton did it in 1996-1997.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Really great 2nd half, and a very solid win - impressive to do what they did with no Coburn and zero O from Burgess.

Like I said, attack inside all game - Kante had a day - the W countered pulling him out with shooters, but all in all the right strategy that should be repeated today - Pridgen is a very skilled player, so it's a bit of give and take.

Omar, wow, what a game - welcome back! Wasn't just throwing up shots, he was attacking the lane as well. When he plays well he can add such a dynamic, hitting shots, making FT's, and is a very capable ball handler. Kid must've been practicing and itching to get back on the court, he showed what I thought he was going to be when he first arrived - now we'll see if this was a fluke, if the insane streakiness is still there, or if this is his official coming out party. The latter would have a huge positive impact, but let's see how he settles in...

Cramer, man, what a freshman season, so exciting for him and his future here. Mentioned it before, and really saw it again this game, his length is unstoppable in the paint. When he attacks the basket it's lights out.

So happy to see Green back, and Zion's debut.

Enjoyed Farrelly's post-game, noting how Omar is a really smart player though he doesn't always show it lol - he addresses what a lot of us are often wondering, and I dig it! Confirmed Coburn out for today as well, a bit banged up I believe. Mentioned Zion has only had like 4 practices so he's obviously going to need to work his way back into things - intrigued to watch his development. He made a point to again state strongly that Green is going to be a really good player - the thought of what this team can become now and in the coming years gets ya salivating 8-)

Have to say, I found myself pretty excited about things for the first time in a long time with this W, it's 'feeling' better of late to me, I think they're starting to find their way and identity - only going to get better as HU is coming back to near full strength at just the right time, and the way they are using the bench fully is producing results - pressing a lot of the right buttons, and this is not easy in this year and so many new faces on the floor.

Tough turnaround here, ready for round 2 - hope they wrap up another big win and get back to NY swiftly with the weather in progress. Here's to a big W and safe travels for all!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Robinson had a nice freshman season averaging 9.5 points a game and was rookie of the week 5x first freshman to start every game since Claxton did it in 1996-1997.
As I posted, that's not true. Agudio started every game in 2004-2005, and he led us in minutes, which Robinson didn't do. The NCAA has statistics for every season available. Claxton led us in field goal attempts by a lot as a freshman, so he almost certainly led us in minutes, but the statistics don't list minutes. Minutes are available for every season back to his junior season in 1998-1999 which is the oldest season the America East has statistics for. As a junior, he was second in minutes to Jason Hernandez. As a senior, he led in minutes. If anyone wants our statistics for every season, tell me your e-mail address and I will send you PDFs. I have statistics for Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Football, Baseball, Softball, Men's Soccer, Women's Soccer, Men's Lacrosse, Women's Lacrosse, and Volleyball, but I don't have for every season for those.