MBB Game 34 - CBI - Vermont - 3/18/15, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB Game 34 - CBI - Vermont - 3/18/15, 7 PM

Post by ProudofPride »

As heartbreaking as the William and Mary loss was, I honestly think I prefer that over this loss. At least we were competitor against W&M. This was absolutely pathetic. What a waste of money. We allowed 56% shooting, and we attempted 33 three pointers...
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Polito wrote:I understand the officiating is bad, but just can't excuse this or sugarcoat, this is an embarrassment - these guys should be ashamed that they can't play with fire

Major second chance, a joke field that could feasibly be won, HOME game against an average team from the AE

I mean sheez guys, you've GOT to be able win at least ONE postseason game in that scenario - this is a complete waste, a complete joke of a performance - tanksley aweful for the 2nd very important game - green and nesmith racking up fouls, Kone nonexistent - I mean of you weren't going to show out you could've told the school to save the $

Really unacceptable - the home fans have been sh!t on all yr - that nonsense better change yr 3

Get some damn players that will play with passion instead of constantly coming out flat - to not play with fire at home in the postseason is a big knock on the players - that's just an insult to the school the fans and the game

Pls recruit better JM - I'm 100% serious - you need it if you ever expect to do anything of significance here.
While I think everyone was hoping for a little bit more this season in a weak CAA. I can not get on this group of kids. Not 2 years removed from where this program was. When you consider the type of "student athletes" the POS Cassara used to recruit and how they represented the University..... well you can't compare the two. It was a complete rebuild and I think the progress has been as good as anyone could ask for given the circumstances.

Believe me, I feel your pain Polito..... this thing is far from perfect and there's a lot more work to be done, but nothing was going to change that in the CBI.

As far as the bold.... That's not the way it is anymore... not for a while. The joke for a program the last guy in charge ran and the knuckleheads he brought in was the embarrassment and insult to the school, fans, and game.

Not having the horses/depth/experience and yes fire.... in a CBI game while disappointing is not quite an insult....

I hope people understand and don't forget that the stuff that went on here a very short time ago is the type of stuff that potentially KILLS programs and/or buries them for decades..... While Hofstra isn't out of the woods yet, it's looking like Mihalic (while certainly not John Wooden) was the right hire and is going to be able to save this program from that.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I agree with both the long-term view from you, BBF. You seem to have keen and calm insight.

I also agree with your post-game reaction, Polito. You seem honest and passionate.

I wanted another game like the WM game two Sundays ago so as to fuel my fire for next year. Instead, I will use the hope of DB, JW-F, and IJ being added to JG, AT, GR, MN, JR, and BB to help JM complete the re-build.

Looking forward to next year already.

Go Pride !!!
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Don't agree with the above post - today's "performance" was an absolute disgrace/joke - you name it. 33 3's ? What the F goes on in practice ? Coach just roll the ball out, pass or dribble around the perimeter and hoist one up ? On D one layup after another (when they weren't fouling) Vermont got one wide open shot after another - HU constantly beaten off the dribble by inferior athletes - Vt played 5 freshman and HU couldn't contain them and our prized frosh sits through the whole damn game. They avg 66 and score 85 - are you kidding me ?
I've been a season ticket holder since Jay (not to mention coming to games since '65) This is as poorly a coached team as I've seen! Some times that old expression "It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game" means something. I can't deal with the garbage I saw tonight - not to mention the joke of a student body that only shows if they get a free hat, shirt or whatever! My guys will probably talk me off the ledge but I've had it - doubt I'll renew my tickets until we get a real "coach" - not the whiner who teaches his players nothing!
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

This game was borderline fixed.. That's how bad the officiating was. No more CBI's for Hofstra please. In a moment of weakness, I wanted to play in this tournament after the heartbreak in Baltimore. But tonight reminded me of the last CBI experience 5 years ago when I walked out of the arena feeling like I wasted my time. No intensity to start the game and trailed 9-0. We got killed on the glass early, we chucked up 3 after 3, and gave them whatever they wanted. Shot clock change was no factor. But with all that said, the story tonight was the officiating. It was criminal. Nothing more to see here.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

It was not our best effort of the year...we did not play with the passion/fire we had in the CAA Tournament but totally agree on the officials....horrendous! Could not believe all the calls against us...ruined what could have been a decent game.

And I agree with a previous poster...where the "H" are the students? Turnout this year has been PATHETIC, can't blame our team for underachieving at home...there is virtually NO support...hope it changes but come on we won 20 games this year and I think we only had more than 3,000 in the building for Stony Brook and one game during the student break.

You can moan all you want about defense, coaching, three point shots, free throws whatever, but if I'm on the team and see less than 100 students supporting me I'm deflated.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80 wrote:It was not our best effort of the year...we did not play with the passion/fire we had in the CAA Tournament but totally agree on the officials....horrendous! Could not believe all the calls against us...ruined what could have been a decent game.

And I agree with a previous poster...where the "H" are the students? Turnout this year has been PATHETIC, can't blame our team for underachieving at home...there is virtually NO support...hope it changes but come on we won 20 games this year and I think we only had more than 3,000 in the building for Stony Brook and one game during the student break.

You can moan all you want about defense, coaching, three point shots, free throws whatever, but if I'm on the team and see less than 100 students supporting me I'm deflated.
I understand your point there, but you also have to see if from the point of view of the students, me being one of them. The team only won two home games all spring semester, Elon and Charleston. I try to get other students to go to games, and they say they don't want to see a team that can't win at home. Winning on the road is great, and is obviously something you need to be able to do, but you have to be able to defend your home court. If the team can win on the road with the majority of fans rooting for the other team, they should be able to win at home no matter what size the crowd is.
However, I feel that Hofstra could have done more to try to get students at games, like they did for the nationally televised games against NU and W&M. A lot of students went to those games, the team lost, and the students didn't come back. I can't say I blame them for not going back, even though I was one of those few students who continued to go to games.
kkan126

Post by kkan126 »

Turnout was absolutely pathetic. Really sad that free things are the only thing that will bring some people to the game.

I'm realistic and understand we're never going to pack the house, but come on. Student body is just so lame.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Have said this before in previous losses, but it happened again tonight with Vermont, where they showed Hofstra the type of balance needed to win, the same way other teams have as Hofstra relies way too much on the same guys.

Vermont, not an especially great offensive team that runs anything special, managed to put up 85 pts with all 9 guys playing between 17 and 26 minutes, and no one taking more than 8 shots. Everyone involved, everyone contributing. And the end result is 85 pts on 56% shooting, including 73% in the second half.

In sharp contrast, 38 minutes for Bernardi, 35 for Green, 31 for Tanskey (and that's with two of those guys in foul trouble), as Tanskley, Green and Bernardi combine for 43 of Hofstra's 66 shots, while making only 11 collectively. Rokas meanwhile, 13 pts on 6-6 fg, but only played 16 minutes despite just 2 fouls. And Mousa made all of his shots as well, but only took 3 in his 24 foul-plagued minutes. You can't win when you keep going to guys who are inefficient over the guys who are more efficient. That doesn't mean that Gustys won't be off and Tanskley won't be the hot hand the next night. But this team, all season long (and it cost them) did a poor job of recognizing who was hot and sticking with those guys over the guys who were cold. Of course, when you have great balance, like Vermont did tonight, and like many others did against HU this season, you don't have to make those decisions as much. Everyone is just naturally involved and contributes then.

Yes, the refs were bad and even helped Vermont win the game at the end. But when you look at the balance and teamwork on one side and the chucking among a select few on the other, it's clear that the team which deserved to win, won the game.

Concerned about Tanksley's play and I hope he can right himself with a big senior season next year. In fact, I think Hofstra winning it all or doing basically what they did this year will depend on it. He pointed to a preseason scrimmage against Penn State, in which he went 1-for-10 from 3, as the moment he refocused himself. He then went 20-for-25 from 3 and had that 9-for-9, 30-point game against Norfolk State. We knew that level couldn't continue, and he still had enough good games mixed in with the bad. But down the stretch, when HU really needed him, especially in the CAA tourney against W&M and against tonight, he disappeared. And he ended the season with guess what: that same 1-for-10 from 3 (4-for-18 overall). So full circle. We know what everyone else will basically give next year, and that Green will lead this team. But especially with Nesmith and Kone gone, Green is going to need Tanksley to step up and be more consistent to allow Green to take this team where Mihalich said tonight, it will go (which is to cut down the nets in Baltimore next year). Tanksley must find that shot again and then hang onto it throughout the year next season.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

In sharp contrast, 38 minutes for Bernardi, 35 for Green, 31 for Tanskey (and that's with two of those guys in foul trouble), as Tanskley, Green and Bernardi combine for 43 of Hofstra's 66 shots, while making only 11 collectively. Rokas meanwhile, 13 pts on 6-6 fg, but only played 16 minutes despite just 2 fouls. And Mousa made all of his shots as well, but only took 3 in his 24 foul-plagued minutes. You can't win when you keep going to guys who are inefficient over the guys who are more efficient. That doesn't mean that Gustys won't be off and Tanskley won't be the hot hand the next night. But this team, all season long (and it cost them) did a poor job of recognizing who was hot and sticking with those guys over the guys who were cold. Of course, when you have great balance, like Vermont did tonight, and like many others did against HU this season, you don't have to make those decisions as much. Everyone is just naturally involved and contributes then.

The reason Gusty's and Kone were hot is all they can do is shoot layups - It'd be great if they could recruit a center or power forward who could shoot something other than a layup! Vt had a number of kids who could stick a 15 footer - it opens up the offense. The Clemson kid can shoot and so can Walker if he ever sees the court from somewhere other than the bench.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Bad game, worse officiating but this is another Hofstra team that can not rise to the occasion and come out and play above or even up to their potential.

The officiating was terrible but you cant use that as an excuse and I believe that JAM constant riding of the refs gets us nothing positive and I seems to me the players can't play through the problems that the bad calls cause, they get deflated look and seem to become defeated.

No question I expected more from this team this season; I expected more of them this game and it seems to me its the same old same old, we just cant come up big and play above our capabilities.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Don't agree with the above post - today's "performance" was an absolute disgrace/joke - you name it. 33 3's ? What the F goes on in practice ? Coach just roll the ball out, pass or dribble around the perimeter and hoist one up ? On D one layup after another (when they weren't fouling) Vermont got one wide open shot after another - HU constantly beaten off the dribble by inferior athletes - Vt played 5 freshman and HU couldn't contain them and our prized frosh sits through the whole damn game. They avg 66 and score 85 - are you kidding me ?
I've been a season ticket holder since Jay (not to mention coming to games since '65) This is as poorly a coached team as I've seen! Some times that old expression "It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game" means something. I can't deal with the garbage I saw tonight - not to mention the joke of a student body that only shows if they get a free hat, shirt or whatever! My guys will probably talk me off the ledge but I've had it - doubt I'll renew my tickets until we get a real "coach" - not the whiner who teaches his players nothing!
Agree 100% Zman. sounds like you are around my age and have almost seen it all. Let's hope for next year.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Very dissapointed with last night's showing. As others have stated, no real fire, way too many 3 balls, mix of players on court/playing time.

The poor fan base will only be remedied with W's (especailly at home but on the road also). It will take work to turn the student fans around. Remember, this is not the ACC or SEC, HU has to work hard to get students/fans to the games - mediocre play wont do it. Fans also want to see good competition - bringing in the University of Hartford is not going to do it! I am as frustrated as anyone regarding the turnout. I sit at each game and marvel at the empty seats. Its a great venue, and should be at least 3,000 at each game. I think the fans will be the last thing to come back.

As far as the team and the program goes, we are way better than we were 2 years ago. Do we still need to get better - absolutely. Only when that happens will the fans/students return.

Could not agree more on the team balance comments. Way too heavy on the gaurd/3-pointer approach and the same players getting all the time. I am really hoping, really hoping, that next year we use our bigs to our advantage. Rokas should be solid next year (his play improved tremendously last third of the season). He should get rests while Walker gets more time. While one of either of those guys is in, Djambo should get lots of playing time at the PF. I'm tired of seeing this D1 program have a team on the court where the tallest guy is 6'6" (there were plenty of time this year when MN or even AT was our "big" on the court). GEEEEZ....this is D1! Yes we can win against some teams with a small team, but we are never going anywhere unless we have competent PFs and Cs who can defend and score inside. hopefully we sign another big who can make an impact.
Last edited by Cards on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

hofstra should have killed this team based on talent. but vermont played good d, is well coached, and ran circles around the hofstra d that was back giving a mid-season effort. the officiating that was the worst i've seen in 17 years of going to games didn't help either. good thing it was a mostly meaningless game. agreed on the no more cbi or cit tournaments.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

They ran the same baseline play over and over and we did not adjust. This is where playing two bigs on the baseline would have taken away that play from them all game long.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Newsday's blurb in today's paper said Hofstra lost to Vermont in the CIT. So much for brand identity.

Question: Who on our staff can coach up our bigs? I feel comfortable with Speedy and Mike Farrelly developing our guards, but who can help Gustys and whatever other forwards we add become better players?

We also need someone to coach FT shooting. That's something you CAN improve.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Jojogunne wrote:Newsday's blurb in today's paper said Hofstra lost to Vermont in the CIT. So much for brand identity.

Question: Who on our staff can coach up our bigs? I feel comfortable with Speedy and Mike Farrelly developing our guards, but who can help Gustys and whatever other forwards we add become better players?

We also need someone to coach FT shooting. That's something you CAN improve.
Gustys and Nichols all would have missed the game last night if I were coach. They would STILL be shooting free throws and would continue to do so ALL Day, Every day until Novemember.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:In sharp contrast, 38 minutes for Bernardi, 35 for Green, 31 for Tanskey (and that's with two of those guys in foul trouble), as Tanskley, Green and Bernardi combine for 43 of Hofstra's 66 shots, while making only 11 collectively. Rokas meanwhile, 13 pts on 6-6 fg, but only played 16 minutes despite just 2 fouls. And Mousa made all of his shots as well, but only took 3 in his 24 foul-plagued minutes. You can't win when you keep going to guys who are inefficient over the guys who are more efficient. That doesn't mean that Gustys won't be off and Tanskley won't be the hot hand the next night. But this team, all season long (and it cost them) did a poor job of recognizing who was hot and sticking with those guys over the guys who were cold. Of course, when you have great balance, like Vermont did tonight, and like many others did against HU this season, you don't have to make those decisions as much. Everyone is just naturally involved and contributes then.

The reason Gusty's and Kone were hot is all they can do is shoot layups - It'd be great if they could recruit a center or power forward who could shoot something other than a layup! Vt had a number of kids who could stick a 15 footer - it opens up the offense. The Clemson kid can shoot and so can Walker if he ever sees the court from somewhere other than the bench.
Very true, but they did get nine buckets that way without a miss. So if Vermont can't stop it, stay with that down low, at least a little bit more, until Vermont can stop it. Better than chucking half of your 66 shots from behind the arc, including 19 (of 29 total shots) in the first half, when you're not making many of those.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Newsday's blurb in today's paper said Hofstra lost to Vermont in the CIT. So much for brand identity.
They really said CIT?

Welp, I guess that's why it only got a blurb.

Laura Albanese was supposed to be covering for Newsday (not Mark Herrmann or Greg Logan, as usual), but I don't recall if I saw her.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Wags wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:In sharp contrast, 38 minutes for Bernardi, 35 for Green, 31 for Tanskey (and that's with two of those guys in foul trouble), as Tanskley, Green and Bernardi combine for 43 of Hofstra's 66 shots, while making only 11 collectively. Rokas meanwhile, 13 pts on 6-6 fg, but only played 16 minutes despite just 2 fouls. And Mousa made all of his shots as well, but only took 3 in his 24 foul-plagued minutes. You can't win when you keep going to guys who are inefficient over the guys who are more efficient. That doesn't mean that Gustys won't be off and Tanskley won't be the hot hand the next night. But this team, all season long (and it cost them) did a poor job of recognizing who was hot and sticking with those guys over the guys who were cold. Of course, when you have great balance, like Vermont did tonight, and like many others did against HU this season, you don't have to make those decisions as much. Everyone is just naturally involved and contributes then.

Very true, but they did get nine buckets that way without a miss. So if Vermont can't stop it, stay with that down low, at least a little bit more, until Vermont can stop it. Better than chucking half of your 66 shots from behind the arc, including 19 (of 29 total shots) in the first half, when you're not making many of those.

I have no problem going inside - my post complains about hoisting up way too many 3's. Problem is guards spend too much time firing up those shots and not looking down low enough - but on the other end - the inability of Kone and Gustys to shoot anything past 5' (generous) limits their involvement and our offense. If one of them could show for "pick and pop" or foul line or baseline jumper you have viable options.