Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Right now with the virus raging out of control in most of the US I believe sports are in jeopardy. The Ivies cancelling all fall sports will create a crescendo like it did in the Spring.
Look for basketball to resume sometime in January if we are lucky!
Fearing the same thing, HUSID. The first thing I thought of hearing this news about the Ivy League was the flashback to March 11-13, after Hofstra won on March 10 and then starting the next day, with Gobert, up through Duke and Kansas pulling out of tourneys, and eventually all sports shutting down piece by piece. We'll see, but this Ivy League news feels like that kind of domino, especially when you see things like Ohio State and North Carolina football shutting down practices down with a sizable number of players and staff members testing positive.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah that San Jose game was a pitiful L, zero biz losing that one and everyone knew it, they were and will be again a very bad team.

RE Ivy and the overall season, I actually wouldn't and don't expect to see the dominoes fall the same as when it started. Now that schools have lost tremendous revenue, you can bet there is going to be every effort made to get sports back. Most Ivy's have money out the wazzo, and sports isn't the big ticket so no issue, but major confs want and need their revenue. May not happen on time, but sports are very likely going to happen in some capacity.

Shortened schedules to achieve such also likely as well.

Stinks about Princeton, I like that game, hopefully no more!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Perhaps we can pick up a local school that also lost a game due to action of the Ivy League. You would think that there would be schools with holes in their schedules like Hofstra.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Yeah that San Jose game was a pitiful L, zero biz losing that one and everyone knew it, they were and will be again a very bad team.

RE Ivy and the overall season, I actually wouldn't and don't expect to see the dominoes fall the same as when it started. Now that schools have lost tremendous revenue, you can bet there is going to be every effort made to get sports back. Most Ivy's have money out the wazzo, and sports isn't the big ticket so no issue, but major confs want and need their revenue. May not happen on time, but sports are very likely going to happen in some capacity.

Shortened schedules to achieve such also likely as well.

Stinks about Princeton, I like that game, hopefully no more!
Definitely see your point (and it's a good one) on the money, but I've also heard the opposite several times - that because of the money schools have been losing during the pandemic, it's made it very challenging for some of them to proceed with funding sports in a very uncertain time. Even ones seemingly with money are facing that (see Stanford canceling a bunch of fall sports because of a lack of funding). Ohio State also just said it's highly uncertain that they'll play football in 2020. All it might take is for one or two big programs to shut it down, and the other dominoes can start falling quickly. As you alluded to, that could also be very different with postseason tournaments like we saw in March vs. starting seasons this fall. But we are also in a far worse place with the virus now than we were in March and we didn't even get to flu season or a possible second Covid wave in the fall and winter yet, which makes me think that sports in general - at every level - could be in serious jeopardy until we have a vaccine. I could easily see the NBA Orlando bubble and MLB starting on time only to shut down and college sports not starting or starting & stopping at a bunch of schools this fall. Didn't have to be way at all, but we couldn't be disciplined as a nation to do what we needed to because getting haircuts or going to bars and restaurants were more important than having patience and doing it the right way.

On the shortened schedules, that could be an option - Big Ten football has already decided on conference-only games this fall (if they play at all).
Last edited by Wags on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The safe thing to do is make all fall sports play in the springfie just this coming year It buys you time And hopefully we have a vaccine by the end of the year
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:The safe thing to do is make all fall sports play in the springfie just this coming year It buys you time And hopefully we have a vaccine by the end of the year
Trying to play fall and spring sports at the same time, in the spring, could put a lot of logistical strain on athletic departments, but who knows? That may be one possibility. We're in very uncertain times, so everything can be, and should be, on the table as we move forward through this situation. We're basically winging it with handling the virus in the absence of a consistent, concrete national plan for dealing with it, so we're consequently winging it with every business in the country as well, including college sports.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: The safe thing to do is make all fall sports play in the springfie just this coming year It buys you time And hopefully we have a vaccine by the end of the year
How would fans and TV handle Saturdays with Football and Men's Basketball for the whole Football season? Most NHL teams would play on Saturdays if they have a normal schedule. If Football and Men's Basketball played at the same time they would make less combined revenue than if they played at different seasons with some overlap like usual. In addition, there could be fan restrictions that will decrease revenue. I think a proposal to play them at the same time would have many schools that play both decide to only play one. Football makes the most money, but Men's Basketball is played by the most schools. Men's Basketball is played by two more schools than Women's Basketball because The Citadel and Virginia Military Institute (VMI) don't have Women's teams. It would stink for us and other teams that don't play Football if the NCAA plays Football and cancels Men's Basketball.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://www.axcesssports.net/2020/07/09 ... Jaui9ebfbI

This Mihalich q & a mentions idea of having fans at reduced capacity next season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraPride1 wrote:https://www.axcesssports.net/2020/07/09 ... Jaui9ebfbI

This Mihalich q & a mentions idea of having fans at reduced capacity next season.
Assuming there is a 2020-21 season, that would be one of the easier adjustments, since they were already drawing well under capacity before the pandemic.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Another domino is set to fall - the Patriot League will be shortly announcing fall sports are canceled. Might try to play football in the spring, but I don't see that.

Although we should have might progress by now, the virus is worse now throughout the country than it was in March, so no shock that the dominoes are starting to fall with college sports now the way they did in March. The only difference is they're taking a little longer to fall as leagues and schools still have time before the expected start of 2020-21 sports vs. the much quicker decision they were forced to make on tourneys in March. In the end, the virus determines things, not anyone else, especially when we don't deal with the virus adequately for four months.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:Another domino is set to fall - the Patriot League will be shortly announcing fall sports are canceled. Might try to play football in the spring, but I don't see that.

Although we should have might progress by now, the virus is worse now throughout the country than it was in March, so no shock that the dominoes are starting to fall with college sports now the way they did in March. The only difference is they're taking a little longer to fall as leagues and schools still have time before the expected start of 2020-21 sports vs. the much quicker decision they were forced to make on tourneys in March. In the end, the virus determines things, not anyone else, especially when we don't deal with the virus adequately for four months.
Keep in mind this is only an extended first wave. I have legitimate concern about them playing the 21-22 season as well to be honest. I get they are throwing everything at a vaccine and hopefully a safe one is available soon, but that process usually is measured in years so it may not happen before then.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: Another domino is set to fall - the Patriot League will be shortly announcing fall sports are canceled. Might try to play football in the spring, but I don't see that.

cactus wrote: Keep in mind this is only an extended first wave.
Yup, like I said above, we may still have an even worse second wave later on, as bad as this first wave has been. That's what happened with the Spanish Flu about a century ago. The second wave was way worse than the already-bad first wave. If we have that, we're really screwed. And we haven't even had any major hurricanes yet, during a year that's predicted to be pretty bad for those.
cactus wrote: I have legitimate concern about them playing the 21-22 season as well to be honest. I get they are throwing everything at a vaccine and hopefully a safe one is available soon, but that process usually is measured in years so it may not happen before then.
I didn't even want to think about that yet, with hope still for '20-'21, but yeah, that's entirely possible for '21-'22 at this point. Ultimately, I think we'll either have a vaccine ready before then or if not, I think the most stubborn and foolish among us will finally cooperate to help flatten the curve (the way we did in NY) to the point where it might be safe to move forward with a '21'-'22 season. Plenty of time to see what happens on that. For now, '20-'21 looks increasingly in jeopardy each week, though there is still time to salvage that - IF we finally do what we need to do across the country.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

As much as I hate the faux-moralism that the Ivy League exudes, I just don't see the point of college sports until the spring semester, and I agree with their decision to cancel athletics until at least January. Professional sports are a different animal and I think can be effectively pulled off, but I don't see the same for NCAA Athletics. It will be a logistics nightmare with so many schools, and half the colleges will not have students on campus until the spring anyway.

I don't know about a second wave, the actual number of cases in NY/NJ/CT were likely under-reported due to lack of testing in the first month (I was sick, couldn't get a test for weeks), especially among the youth, which account for the extreme majority of cases we're seeing today. I'm optimistic that the other parts of the country that are breaking out now will be where we are today in two months. But the reality is even if the most optimistic case is true, and the virus slows down nationally in two months, we're already into fall sports season. It doesn't seem smart to bring back the students in the fall, when most campuses are national/international institutions and that demographic is seeing the majority of covid cases today.

I think the Big Ten football plan is stupid, and just a power-play with the NCAA, I hope smarter ideas prevail. I don't see why Football couldn't be played in the spring, even with a sort of abbreviated schedule. It should be a no-brainer if the schools are actually about protecting the students rather than making $$.

The NCAA and member institutions should aim for a Feb 1 starting date for Basketball and just push the tournament back until May/June. It's more realistic in this environment. If circumstances surrounding covid change from now until then, so be it, but it's a better plan than having half of the universities opt-out for the rest of the calendar year and just having some schools go on as planned. I hope the NCAA has the seed of that idea germinating now so it gives conferences time to rework their schedules, and potentially save non-con schedules for '21. Plus a later start might give students and fans an opportunity to see some live games.

Specifically pertaining to Hofstra Basketball, I want to see a real season. I don't care when it starts to be honest. I think we will be at a point in the very near future where the benefits of playing will outweigh the potential costs, but it's not a reality on 7/15. If it's not a reality now, it's probably not a reality in November either. I just don't want to see a scenario where players on the team test positive for covid and we have to suspend the season for weeks/months. It's pointless to put the players and coaches at risk in general, especially in a half-assed environment where many schools will not be participating anyway.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Frankly, I'm not seeing Hofstra playing Fall sports this year. Soccer season about a month away and no schedules posted. Something's up.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Like I have said fall sports will be played in the spring
Polito

Post by Polito »

That seems very likely, although I'm not quite sure the logistics of such...

The P5 conferences are holding out, a bit more reluctant to toss away the $ like the lower levels have done - lot of mid major conf's have cancelled, pushed, etc. but they don't have nearly money impact

Still curious if a season change or a delayed start occurs there - the loss of football money would be devastating to many, even the bigs. Desperately trying to find a way. Mid-Level P5 Iowa St estimated a 40 million dollar hit - not sure how accurate, but if close, don't care who you are, that's a dent that's hard to eat.

The Stanford cuts are very surprising, probably one of the wealthiest schools in the entire country - endowment numbers like a Fortune 100 - but those dollars usually can't go to sports so...

But holy how, they had 36 friggin sports?!?! Cutting 11 still puts them 8 above HU - life of the big dogs right there! And no disrespect to their student-athletes, by my goodness some of those sports are ridiculous... what the hell is 'lightweight rowing'? I mean, c'mon. Some of this stuff is literally just throwing money away.
Wags

Post by Wags »

CAA is expected to announce tomorrow that the league will not be playing football this fall.

Dominos.

Also, the Rose parade was canceled more than five months out (the Rose Bowl game isn't canceled yet, but the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association hosts that game as well as the parade).
Wags

Post by Wags »

The America East is postponing fall sports. Winter sports unaffected at this time. The hope is to play fall sports in the spring.

It's starting to sound a lot like March.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Fall sports at Hofstra now officially suspended- https://gohofstra.com/news/2020/7/17/ge ... tions.aspx
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraHockey wrote:Fall sports at Hofstra now officially suspended- https://gohofstra.com/news/2020/7/17/ge ... tions.aspx
Yup, looking a lot like March.

Domino after domino, after domino.