MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by HUSID80 »

Agreed, we need to have a big guard...Pemberton when he fills out can fit the bill but we can use another built like Charles Jenkins
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agreed on the big guard need and value - McKnight could certainly be that guy - he looks like he could bulldoze most 1-2's in the CAA.

A quick shout out to Mr. Ray, who continues to show out as he leads Hampton's defeat of John Marshall as MVP of the game with fantastic numbers - former HU recruit and somehow JMU commit Greg Jones stars for JM - Jones also played well, which continues to baffle the mind why he would decide to take his high talent out to pasture...football makes total sense, all day long there, but for hoops, why?? Just a silly move Greg :? :roll: - strongly recommend re-thinking that.

But hey, if that ends up as the final decision, then here's to MANY more games of Ray's team beating Jone's for their entire collegiate careers!!

AND Ray is STILL mentioned as a Hofstra commit - 16 pts, 5 assists, and 4 rbs, against strong D1 level comp - yep, this young fella can play the game of roundball very very well :D SO excited to see the next great HU guard live next year!

https://twitter.com/jwherron10/status/8 ... 5091609600
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Agreed on the big guard need and value - McKnight could certainly be that guy - he looks like he could bulldoze most 1-2's in the CAA.

A quick shout out to Mr. Ray, who continues to show out as he leads Hampton's defeat of John Marshall as MVP of the game with fantastic numbers - former HU recruit and somehow JMU commit Greg Jones stars for JM - Jones also played well, which continues to baffle the mind why he would decide to take his high talent out to pasture...football makes total sense, all day long there, but for hoops, why?? Just a silly move Greg :? :roll: - strongly recommend re-thinking that.

But hey, if that ends up as the final decision, then here's to MANY more games of Ray's team beating Jone's for their entire collegiate careers!!

AND Ray is STILL mentioned as a Hofstra commit - 16 pts, 5 assists, and 4 rbs, against strong D1 level comp - yep, this young fella can play the game of roundball very very well :D SO excited to see the next great HU guard live next year!

https://twitter.com/jwherron10/status/8 ... 5091609600
Last night at the pre game chalk talk Coach referred to Ray, not in name, but as signed!
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80...you interact a lot with coaching staff...without providing specifics do you get the impression staff involved with a bunch of talented players that we have a good chance to sign or will we end up with the leftovers??
garyg

Post by garyg »

Great news it is official...Ray has signed a NLI
Cards

Post by Cards »

Sweet! - one less thing to worry about and another piece of the puzzle filled.

OK JM - keep the top level guys coming! Go find us a Green/Jenkins/Agudio or similar. :)
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:HUSID80...you interact a lot with coaching staff...without providing specifics do you get the impression staff involved with a bunch of talented players that we have a good chance to sign or will we end up with the leftovers??
Well that worked out pretty well re: Ray! Believe me this staff is on a lot of talented kids. will we land all of them? Who knows? Tough business!!! But I DO know THEY know exactly what they need.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:Great news it is official...Ray has signed a NLI
Garyg where did you see the announcement? Not on gohofstra.com
Cards

Post by Cards »

That's just what we need to hear HUSID80. Now just have to close the deal on some of these recruits.

We all tend to do a lot of arm-waving here on the board - both to the good and bad sides of things. Lets face it, Its fun to jaw bone about this stuff. That being said, what is good to hear once in a while is the confirmation that JM and staff are on it. Thanks for the update HUSID.

BTW - verbal commits now lists Ray as "Committed"
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Give it a day or two Hofstra will make the official announcement soon
garyg

Post by garyg »

Heard about the Ray signing from reliable source and I will leave it at that
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:Heard about the Ray signing from reliable source and I will leave it at that
Does this source know about other recruits? As I said Coach Bartlett said without naming names that "a recruit" signed. Assume it's Ray
Polito

Post by Polito »

Can also confirm both that:

A) HU is actively involved with talent that can help this program. Just as this staff has been EVERY year. Know for a fact they are on the trail, traveling, and recruiting on a regular basis, even during this season.

I know we get antsy, I am certainly guilty, but there is PLENTY of unsigned talent left for a program like HU, especially guards. The signing period isn't until mid-April.

From what I can gather, the focal points are as I've mentioned PG, SG/CG, WG (6'5ish). I am not aware of much activity in the WF (6'6+) or PF/C spots. My guess is those will be a focus in the '18 class. Remember, next year HU will Greer, Trueheart, and Robinson still to mix in at the 4, plus the same 3 bigs in the 5 spot. There just isn't a lot of PT next season for studs in that mold to want in for '17. But '18 is a different story - boocoo PT.

B) Ray has signed. Even his twitter has changed from 'Hofstra Commit' to 'Hofstra Signee' 8-) Big-time get, once again. Top 20 player in a loaded VA (Oak Hill alone has basically their entire starting rotation consuming the top 5, so it's even better removing those future NBA kids lol), could rise higher with continued super play, and should be in line for another 1st team all-state selection. STUD.
https://twitter.com/jray20_?lang=en
Captain

Post by Captain »

Really happy to hear about the LOI for Jalen Ray! For those of you who haven't seen any videos of him, he is a clone of JWF. He is his brother from a different mother. Great first step, lefty, great hops and about the same size. Also sees the floor well and finds the open man. Another potential great guard in the HU tradition.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I don't want to look backwards, but I did hear some interesting info (from a high level HU official). Extremely late in the recruiting process for Traci Carter, almost at the point where Carter made his decision, something was "discovered" which made HU do a complete 180 degree about face. HU was certain that it no longer wanted Carter. I'm not sure if he would have ended up in the same place or not, but very late in the recruiting process, HU withdrew all interest.

Even though we still need top level talent support at the PG, after hearing this info, I am glad he is not at HU.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I don't want to speculate unfairly, but I have read elsewhere that there may have been some disciplinary action in HS (dismissal from team type). Nothing that I am aware of at MU though. But that might have been enough for HU to say no.

Though he would've been a super get and a stud here, HU is understandably extremely cautious at this point, and I don't think they are willing to compromise one iota. Can't blame them.

Switching gears, has anyone had a chance to actually see Osbel Caraballo in person? Kid is a double-double machine, the numbers are and consistency are impressive. Top competition may be sporadic, although he has performed against any they have played, so I'm curious of anyone who has first hand knowledge.

Upper Room is in Dix Hills and would love to know if anyone has seen them play. Very intrigued by him, and his teammates SG Lester Quinones and PG Carlos Lemus.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:I don't want to speculate unfairly, but I have read elsewhere that there may have been some disciplinary action in HS (dismissal from team type). Nothing that I am aware of at MU though. But that might have been enough for HU to say no.
Not related to past events. This was a very recent issue. I will say no more, other than it was good decision on HUs part.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Gotcha

Any word on the guys from Upper Room or the newest offer PG Jordan Goldwire? I know he is visiting UNLV soon... has some good offers, but I do think HU has a shot. Hoping he gets up to NY for a visit
garyg

Post by garyg »

We desperately need to add an impact 4 for next season that can play inside but is athletic enough to defend on the perimeter..on Verbal the kid from Mt. Vernon has been listed for quite some time...does anyone know of any other 4's we are recruiting for next season ??

Also need to land an impact 3 that can play there when Pemberton is at the 1, 2, or on the bench. Preferably this recruit will be 6-5 or taller
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Preaching to the Choir.
garyg wrote:We desperately need to add an impact 4 for next season that can play inside but is athletic enough to defend on the perimeter..on Verbal the kid from Mt. Vernon has been listed for quite some time...does anyone know of any other 4's we are recruiting for next season ??

Also need to land an impact 3 that can play there when Pemberton is at the 1, 2, or on the bench. Preferably this recruit will be 6-5 or taller