MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Have not seen anything ANYWHERE since the visits...is he visiting LaSalle??? That could be a problem...Heard JAM did not come home with the team on SAT...was recruiting down South....anybody have any intel on that?
He was in Philly yesterday. https://mobile.twitter.com/jmverlin/sta ... 4055429122
Polito

Post by Polito »

Quiet all around on the Carter front... everyone seems to be waiting for news to pop - La Salle is up in the air, questions around the ability to take him (spots), and even if so, is there enough significant PT to be worth his while. If those questions remain I continue to love HU's fit. If not, will be tough for him to turn them down. Let's see...

Only 'down south' fella I'm aware of right now is McKnight Jr - right now avg 15ppg, 3rbs, and is shooting 44% from deep. This team could certainly use that efficiency from 3. He's a truck, but have to say the big fella moves very well considering his size - seems quick enough from his tape to create space and/or attack the hoop in traffic.

There may be others in FL though... possibly a big or two that they are looking at - unconfirmed and not enough detail yet for me to comment on.

Mr Ray had I believe 15pts in the 100+ scoring route, and Hampton won again a couple of days ago - still need his stats - annoyingly difficult to come by for some reason - expected that hs sports crazed area of VA to be MUCH better about key stats and box scores... I often have to dig ridiculously hard to find a hint of them. Frustrating.

Philly trip you can bet was for '17 PG Collin Gillespie who is on fire, although I would wager they're looking at some '18's also - quite a few in that game in particular:
Gillespie, arguably the area’s breakout star this year, continued his terrific senior campaign with 28 points, six assists and three rebounds, going 9-for-12 from the floor and 4-for-7 from 3-point range.
Link:
http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... id=1566508

Team is currently #1 in their Class rankings, with a big game coming up.

All I know is this program needs scoring efficiency and ball distribution, and these fellas we're talking about could fit the bill in one or both parts. And with JM personally out there working his tail off on the recruiting trail, you can bet he knows and feels the same. Time is running short, and after having not achieved the ultimate goal with Green and Tanksley, I can imagine there is a real urgency to not have the same miss with a guy like Rok, and now JWF and Pemba. Gotta do whatever it takes to put the right pieces together at the same time.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I hear you Polito...last time JAM was down South that I know of, because I ran into him in the Charlotte Airport was when he was recruiting Rok...let's hope for some good news soon!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Of course we would love to get out HS commits taken care of, but the NLI regular basketball signing period is not for a while. Of course we could get verbals in the interim.

However, with Carter having to enroll for the spring semester, looks like that may be the first thumbs up or down we get in the near term. Classes start in just over 2 weeks, so it looks like that will be the latest we find out about where he lands. Keeping my fingers crossed!

BTW - does anyone know what is the typical recovery like from the injury DB sustained. Is it usually a "full" recovery with no after effects, or is the type of injury where you come back healthy but "lose a step" or side to side quickness is impacted? Is it anything like Tommy John recovery from surgery, whereby following recovery you are healthy to play, but in reality it takes a 6-12 months of playing to get back to past performance levels. Just wondering.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good question, not sure exactly, but either way this team needs a super PG for this system, and it has to be priority #1.

I don't care what they have to do, but this staff MUST get the proper leader on the floor to start game 1 next season.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:Good question, not sure exactly, but either way this team needs a super PG for this system, and it has to be priority #1.

I don't care what they have to do, but this staff MUST get the proper leader on the floor to start game 1 next season.
Agree - priority #1. That's why I am really hoping for Carter and hoping that if he does come our way, he is eligible for CAA play next year. I just see this issue as the one that helps us properly utilize the talents we have and be the glue for the whole team. Hope he is that guy!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Carter took an official to La Salle yesterday ... :x

Not thrilled about that. They do not have a spot though, so the word is IF he chooses there, one of two things:

Someone on their current roster is leaving and hasn't announced yet.
He goes the Juco route first, then looks to go to a program for '18.

Either is not what HU needs. This program needs a STUD PG to START day 1 next season. This doesn't mean HU is out, but if they make room for him it would be hard to beat them - only program I have any real concern about.

If I'm HU I'm recruiting points for '17 like it's going out of style - sell that starting PT like it's a Ferrari - do not stop until the leader is landed.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Disappointing that he's visiting...probably something in the works with their roster
Captain

Post by Captain »

For those of us who were dissing the recruitment of Collin Gillespie, no worries, he's going to Villanova.
Traci Carter can you hear us calling?
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

From the Lasalle Boards.

"On the Hawk board today Delgreco Wilson (whatever you think, the guy is pretty wired) said it is very, very, very, very, very likely that Carter winds up at La Salle"

Read more: http://explorertown.proboards.com/threa ... z4VnPJc3UL
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well my goodness that escalated quickly... :lol:

#1 this continues to speak to this staff's ability to evaluate talent (ie recruiting is NOT the issue) - once again an HU offer seemingly automatically lands big fish interest soon after. These guys have an eye for talent, before most others - and that is valuable ability.
#2 he is definitely an up and coming player, really coming into form this Sr yr, but holy cow he went from offers from Albany, Maine, Rider, Drexel, UD, and some D2's to committing to VILLANOVA :?: :shock:

God bless him!

And as I feared, if La Salle came into the picture for Carter that would be very tough for anyone to overcome. HU staff is pursuing TOP talent, as they have from day 1, and with that comes some very tough battles. Landing the recruited talent is always where the rubber meets the road, and it is war out there, esp when working to convince said talent to come to HU over other 'bigger' programs and conferences.

But MUST keep fighting because these are the kind of program foundation guys HU needs to keep landing to build a CAA Champion and NCAAT team.

Onward we go for a point...

And I hope HU continues strong efforts with Upper Room and guys like Osbel C and Lester Q - program is really building, playing very strong ball even against better comp, and those 2 in particular can hoop. There are D1 players there, and HU should establish their stake first.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Carter to LaSalle :(
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Oh well he said he wanted to go back to Philly...hate this recruiting!
Polito

Post by Polito »

It's brutal...

And keep in mind La Salle has a 4 star PG already on the roster, and another 4 star PG coming in the '17 class...

HU still the best overall fit IMO, but guess he felt different - HU was clearly in the final selection, and I believe were the leaders until LaSalle came along - c'est la vie, he needs to go where he feels best him.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Let's talk PG's.

By my understanding, there is the JUCO Booker out of College of Southern Idaho (pretty sure McKnight Jr is a SG), and then a very intriguing one I believe is still in play Devante Carter prepping at Montverde (before that playing in 2 DC / VA HS's) - I don't have a lot of insight to Booker, but Carter is a stud with a capital S. Would be an instant impact and the answer to our point play prayers.

Seems HU is still in play here.

HUSID, I'm wondering if that may have been JM's southern trip you mentioned coming out of the road games...?? I would be ecstatic if that was the reason and if HU was heavy after him.

There was also word of the former Siena guard now at JUCO, but I haven't heard anything additional there yet.

Other than that, I have not seen new offers yet on the PG front. Very curious to the level of traction with Devante Carter, Booker, or if there are new names still to come...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Crickets... and it's killing me.

HU needs some MAJOR recruiting momentum based on what we're seeing this year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Ill try and get some info...spoke briefly to coach Barrett and he essentially reaffirmed our stated recruiting priorities...said we were honing on a couple of kids with visits to be coming.

Tough to bring kids on campus when it is DEAD! Let the visits begin!
garyg

Post by garyg »

If staff does not fill needs with some talented recruits for 2017' the next few seasons could be long one's for The Pride...they need to make this class a very productive one...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra just offered PG Jordan Goldwire, out of of Norcross, GA
https://twitter.com/j_gold11/status/825498628114493440
garyg

Post by garyg »

Check out Goldwire's list on verbal..highly unlikely he will select Hofstra