Jojogunne

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by Jojogunne »

Jalen Ray's coach says he is the best player in Virginia:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/highsc ... story.html
garyg

Post by garyg »

Sounds great, now we just have to sign him....
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Article said he's a Hofstra commit
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

His twitter says Hofstra commit, too.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just verbal for now. No official announcement from Hofstra
Cards

Post by Cards »

Assuming Ray is a go, do you guys think JM is done looking for stud guards. I mean, with DB, JWF, EP, and JR, is JM thinking that this is my core guard group for the next 2-3 years? Has anyone heard anything about other high level prospects we were looking at like Duarte, Carter, Welch, or Cross? Are these guys (or others like them) the kind of guys that expect to get playing time as freshman and with our current group of guards JM cannot promise that? Do the prospects look at the depth chart and just cross HU off their list? Do you guys think its too tough for us to compete for the highly rated prospects given no recent trips to the dance?

This is not a knock against some of the players we have recently offered, but it looks like recently we are going after guys that can contribute, can help fill some roster vacancies or specific holes, but are not high level guys. And maybe its just a matter of JM identifying really talented guys that aren't getting a lot of attention (maybe these guys fit into that category), I just don't know.

And as some have mentioned, what if Ray takes a year at prep school? More importantly, what if DB has lingering effects of his injury or loses a step? We have all seen and all know the importance of a strong PG in JMs offense. Of course there are a lot of "ifs" here. If Ray is a go, maybe he's the quick PG stud that was under-recruited - as serves as the DB backup. Maybe the JUCO PG fills the roll as a guy with experience. We were all talking about Wormley, maybe he ends up being a piece of the puzzle.

It just seems like we never get these types of things figured out in the fall or winter. We always seem to be holding our breath until spring signing season or transfer signings!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I think we definitely need another PG, whether it be a JC or transfer who can play next year. It looks like Ray is more of a combo rather than a pure PG.
Surely the staff knows this and is working on numerous possible scenarios...just that WE are not privy to their thinking/strategy. It's one thing to target kids, another to get them to sign...
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

My wish list for the three remaining spots would be:
1. PG (either JUCO or Freshman) that can at least contribute in a backup role. I have a feeling Pemberton will develop enough PG skills to play 10 minutes a game at the spot which will also help if needed.
2. Big man; ideally a freshman to develop behind Rok. I don't think we will get this but I am hoping.
3. A 3/4 type player to backup those spots for next year and potentially develop into a bigger role going forward. (would be happy with a four player that just contributes 10 minutes or so a game to add depth)

I think the important thing though is that we fill all of these spots as we already have five scholarships opening up for the 2018 class.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Here is some mid-season video of Larry McNight (JUCO we offered). At 6'3" about 220lbs , he is like a freight train of a guard. He is currently averaging about 15 ppg in 18 min per game. FG% in mid/upper 40s for all shots and 3 pointers. He is a bruiser! Very nice step back jumper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTy7tW4dOlM
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

He looks like a man among boys...a Charles Jenkins with hops...not a great looking jump shot but physically and athletically suited for the CAA?..what's his status? You said we offered? I'd be happy if he signed!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Looks like McKnight has three years of eligibility remaining?

https://collegecourtreport.com/2016/04/ ... top-level/
Cards

Post by Cards »

Would be nice to have a guard of his size to bookend many of the smaller guards we have now (including Ray). Probably not a bad idea to have a guy not from the same mold. Three years of eligibility would be a bonus. :P
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Go get him JAM!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Marquette transfer Traci Carter is visiting at some point. I'm sure he'll end up at Iona though. https://mobile.twitter.com/JonRothstein ... 4993760256
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello

Marquette transfer Traci Carter told ESPN he visited New Mexico St last week. Starts visit to Iona tomorrow, visits Hofstra later this week.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

JWF-Buie-Carter-Pemberton would be an unfair guard rotation 2 years from now.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Would love to add Carter, that would be a great fit. I think we have a good shot if it comes down to us and Iona. He's a Philly guy, we can have Green and Tanksley talk to him.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Carter is already off the Marquette team roster. If he transfers in the next few weeks, he could be playing most of the conf schedule next year.

I recall that we went after him out of high school. if we made a good impression on him then, and now he is looking for a mid to play at (with a ex pro PG coach), we may have a very good shot at landing him.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, after a holiday hiatus I am thrilled to come back to this development!

Hello there Mr. Carter, good to see you again 'old friend'! Yes sir, GIMMIE THAT young fella all day long.

Time for you to come on home - this is the place that was right for you all along. This is the right fit / staff / conf / level / program / location / development / tutelage / and the right future path. Philly connection runs strong here my friend. Got him to visit last time, this time is the charm.

LOVE this transfer, this player, this fit - PG his whole life, considers himself a true point - can knock down the 3, eats up pressure shots, beautiful handle, quick hands for steals, knows how to attack the basket among the trees, can play starter minutes, and put up 5 assists/game in the BE.

Looks like he wants to get closer to home, and I guarantee more PT. HU easily offers both. New Mexico St, clearly not closer, so no. Sorry, but Iona doesn't win the fit battle this time. There is no PT for him there - they have 2 Soph PG's with talent (McGill and Casimir) ready to take over next yr after Severe and Cassell are gone. Sharing minutes among 3 guys for a 4 star BE level guy in his Jr yr?? Uh, no. No bueno.

This is a near PERFECT fit for him and HU - even with Buie, he can literally step on the floor and be the starter or at a minimum 20 min/game from day 1.

HU is the last visit of those 3. Let's make it so JM and Traci, make it so.
garyg

Post by garyg »

How many years would Carter have ??