Charleston Classic

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Charleston Classic

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra is in the 2017 Charleston Classic, along with a nice field of teams, mostly high majors. We have a chance to potentially get revenge on Indiana State.

Jon RothsteinVerified account ‏@JonRothstein 25m25 minutes ago
Auburn, Dayton, Maryland, Temple, Clemson, ODU, Hofstra, & Indiana State will headline the 2017 Charleston Classic, source told @CBSSports.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 5951473664
Jojogunne

Re: Charleston Classic

Post by Jojogunne »

It's an ESPN event, so there should be good TV coverage.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Excellent! I was wondering what type of tourney we would be in this fall (following last years Paradise Jam).

Gotta figure there are at least 2 games for HU against big name opponents at this event. Add to it Kentucky to open the season. That should be at least three top-50 games in the OCC. Maybe we can add some A10 teams like last year (StBon, LaSalle) to keep the schedule challenging. Then include some of the typical local opponents to keep the schedule reasonable (get some easier wins, get playing time for underclassmen, and generally build team confidence).
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

Cards wrote:Excellent! I was wondering what type of tourney we would be in this fall (following last years Paradise Jam).

Gotta figure there are at least 2 games for HU against big name opponents at this event. Add to it Kentucky to open the season. That should be at least three top-50 games in the OCC. Maybe we can add some A10 teams like last year (StBon, LaSalle) to keep the schedule challenging. Then include some of the typical local opponents to keep the schedule reasonable (get some easier wins, get playing time for underclassmen, and generally build team confidence).
This is 2017 so it would be for the season after next
Cards

Post by Cards »

HAH! Did not even notice the year (2017 vs 2016)!!

Well, I guess the 2016 OCC is still in question then????
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh HELLS YES!!! This is AWESOME!

What a fantastic event and fantastic field - way to go staff, THAT'S how you upgrade a schedule - I am looking at the 2017 yr as the one HU makes another big time run at a special season (RG Sr yr, and a load of talented experience on tap to be with him) - this is a great opp to make some noise

Forget Indiana St, I want a a big boy!

And, a little side benefit, getting the HU program/fans and Charleston more acclimated to each other - a little extra shine in the area in addition to the 1 yearly game at CofC - this is a smart play all around! Guessing its over a holiday break?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Forget Indiana St, I want a a big boy!
Fully agree. Or at the very least, possibly playing ODU again could be fun. Weird how Hofstra and Indiana State, who I think had never played against each other or in the same tourney before last year (?) find themselves together in another one of these things twice in three years.

Polito wrote: And, a little side benefit, getting the HU program/fans and Charleston more acclimated to each other - a little extra shine in the area in addition to the 1 yearly game at CofC - this is a smart play all around! Guessing its over a holiday break?
This is what I thought of as soon as I saw this thread - that it might be good for the team and HU playing in the CAA tourney to play in another early season tourney in the same city (is it the same arena and same hotels too? that would help even more). But since it's 2017, it obviously won't help with that for next year's CAA tourney. As for getting HU fans acclimated, I can't see more than a handful at best attending this tourney, let alone the CAA tourneys, down there.

Also surprised with Hofstra in this tourney, that Charleston couldn't work its way into this tourney in its own backyard.
Polito

Post by Polito »

CofC is actually in it this coming season 8-)

Best team in it is Villanova, who I'm sure will be the favorite to win it - Miss St another big one - other than that, it's light on name appeal - HU's year is a significantly 'bigger' field
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wags wrote: This is what I thought of as soon as I saw this thread - that it might be good for the team and HU playing in the CAA tourney to play in another early season tourney in the same city (is it the same arena and same hotels too? that would help even more). But since it's 2017, it obviously won't help with that for next year's CAA tourney. As for getting HU fans acclimated, I can't see more than a handful at best attending this tourney, let alone the CAA tourneys, down there.

Also surprised with Hofstra in this tourney, that Charleston couldn't work its way into this tourney in its own backyard.
The tournament isn't just in Charleston's backyard, it's always held at TD Arena on their campus. As Polito said, they're participating in it this year, and I think they're in it as often as they're allowed to be. So technically this tournament isn't even in the same city, since the CAA tournament is in North Charleston. Regardless, it's still the same general area so it's always a good thing for our team to play extra games in the area before March. It may be helpful in the long run to stay at the same hotel, but they may not simply because the North Charleston Coliseum is 20 minutes away from CofC's campus, and they team may want to stay a little closer to campus for the Charleston Classic.