NCAA or NIT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
hualum

NCAA or NIT

Post by hualum »

well..if you are like me and want more kicks to the gut.

Our EVER SO SLIM NCAA hopes can get some help today.
Need FSU to beat Boston College
Need FAU to win
and I think we'd like to see St.Marys beat Gonzaga in WCC final.
Polito

Re: NCAA or NIT

Post by Polito »

Love the hope, but there is ZERO shot. As in NONE. You can bet your retirement on that. :lol:

HU is NIT bound. Frustrating, but better than nothing. WAY too many top mids went down that have MUCH better resumes than HU. P.S. That's why you have to schedule ranked teams every year, esp when you're good enough to steal some from them - who gives a rip if it's on the road, you need to bolster your resume. For all those folks on here who kept saying HU and the CAA will never have a shot at an at-large again, I'd love to hear your explanation for Monmouth from the ol MAAC. They are likely to get in, and it's because they beat ranked/name teams. No other reason. Can't tell me the MAAC can get an at-large and CAA never can again. That's clearly bogus. It just takes the right scheduling...and wins against them.

Not to say HU shoudn't be in, IMO, they absolutely should. The CAA should be a 2 bid league this year. But it won't.

Now for the NIT, HU should absolutely be a LOCK for a high seed AND a home game. A LOCK. If they are denied either it will be a complete sham. They should be around a 4 seed with home court.

They CAN STILL CUT NETS. It's DOABLE. Let's take it serious and ROCK to MSG!
hualum

Post by hualum »

funny you say that. I've been pushing HU to the MAAC for years. . . and am told "We get better seed in NCAA if we make it" or "we can be a 2 bid league"
and I say BS.
The CAA was NEVER built to be won by us. EVER. And watch where UNCW gets seeded because that would be us. They should be a 12 IMO...they wont be

we should be at least a 3 seed (if not 2) in NIT. I think if team can get over this and take NIT seriously they can make a run
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I think we have NIT written all over us, although our profile compares somewhat favorably with some of the other bubble teams, including Monmouth, I think they're also out, Gonzaga might be out if they lose tonight as well. I think Wichita St. gets in because they truly dominated the MVC, while we just tied for the CAA regular season championship.

I just wish we were more in the discussion. I blame our crappy partnership with NBC Sports, they suck, they're third rate, and we have received no push from them.

I don't think that will sway the the selection committee either way, just saying this week would have been a little more fun if we got a real media push.
hualum

Post by hualum »

i think that;s my point. I'm not saying we should be in. It bugs me that we are not in the discussion.
IMO we compare with GW, Valpo, Syracuse, Michigan

should be IN over Gonzaga (if they lose tonight); Ohio State (76 RPI)

these are ALL teams Lindardi has first 4 out- next four out.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Don't underestimate our AD Jeff Hathaway...He has real juice with the Committee...much more so than our past ADs.....that being said it's a real LONG SHOT...but a shot nevertheless
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

USA Today has us listed for at-large consideration in their bracketology they posted today. That's the only media source I can find giving us any attention right now. It's a brief mention, but it's still something.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... bc49ab5035
hualum

Post by hualum »

thats all i'm saying. Be in the conversation. We belong in the conversation
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Zach Braziller's (NY Post) take on it:

Zach BrazillerVerified account ‏@NYPost_Brazille
Hofstra has 56 RPI,11 road/neutral wins,victories over NCAA teams St. Bonaventure, UNC-Wilmington. Won't get a look for at-large, but should
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 1608500225

Hofstra has no sub-200 losses like Monmouth, only one sub 150 loss. #thinkaboutit
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 7755943936

Hofstra also has win over Florida State, which this year is better than UCLA or Georgetown, which Monmouth has.
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 1105379328

Bottom line for Hofstra and Monmouth, with their resumes, if they were LSU, they would be a 7 seed. Both deserving.
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/sta ... 8646192128
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Hopefully our well-connected AD is making the case....
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Do we get points for being screwed 10 yrs ago?
hualum

Post by hualum »

#2bids4CAA
#takeHofstra
#uoweus1
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... hita-state

This piece also lists Hofstra as team that should be considered, but below many others. I'd put our odds are around 5%. It would be huge help if Florida State or St. Bonaventure had good conference tourney runs to boost their RPIs and ours.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... hita-state
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL very good joeg1... :D
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We're discussed in the latest CBS college basketball podcast. I don't have time to listen tonight so I don't know what it says, but I'll try to tomorrow. At least a major media outlet has in the discussion, regardless of whether it's in or out.

Matt NorlanderVerified account ‏@MattNorlander
Your phone or tablet’s got the new @CBSSportsCBB podcast. Go get it. Cuse resume, Buddy-Denzel & Valpo/WSU/Monmouth/Hofstra/St. Mary’s talk.
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/statu ... 0692856832
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... zel-2016-1

Above is a link to the podcast, not much was said specifically about Hofstra, more that they're in the mix with about five or six mid majors, with two or three available bids.
hualum

Post by hualum »

in all seriousness i wonder with SO many regular season champs not winning their tournaments WILL committee give ANY additional thought to the Hofstra/Monmouth/Valpo/Wichita St. teams that had better seasons than a muddling Major team did.

AND LASTLY. We won the 9th best conference in the Nation. Take a look at who won the top 8. All those winners (with possible exception of Temple of 8th Ranked American Conference) are IN.

I'm not giving up hope
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Call me a homer, but our resume is better than Monmouth's. Their "good" early season wins don't look as great anymore since those teams didn't pan out to be as good as originally thought. Their best win is Notre Dame, and St. Bonaventure has a better RPI than ND. We came in first in a much better conference than Monmouth (9th ranked vs 19th ranked), and Monmouth has multiple losses to teams worse than 200 in the RPI. We have zero. Plus, we have a better strength of schedule.Someone in the podcast pointed out that the best part of Monmouth's team is the bench. They have too many bad losses and no really great wins.
hualum

Post by hualum »

ANNNND. If the Bonnies can win a game or two they are a TOP 25 RPI team. And I agree- i think we have a better resume than Monmouth.
hualum

Post by hualum »

TEAM A (24-9)
Won 9th rated conference
RPI 58
SOS 105
KPI 71
2-2 vs. Top 50
4-2 vs. 51-100
7-5 vs. 101-200
10-0 vs. 201+

TEAM B (27-7)
Won 17th rated conference
RPI 55
SOS 164
KPI 81
2-2 vs. Top 50
1-2 vs. 51-100
8-0 vs. 101-200
16-3 vs. 201+

what am I not seeing???? MAYBE the 101-200 issue?? But they played 9 more games vs weak teams AND LOST 3 of them! I say they are BOTH out but to see them get all this press and us get NOTHING pisses me off.