Coaching Carousel

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

daHUPride wrote:REALLY WEAK - COME ON MAN - BE HONEST - DIDNT IONA AND MONMOUTH GO TO BLOWS DURING A GAME THIS SEASON???
No love lost between Cluess and King Rice, goes back a few years now.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Sounds like an echo!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I mean I get the rivalry stuff, but man there are some things people need to come together on, and mids fighting together on a unified front against the big P5 biased NCAA machine is one of them.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

From Delaware's beat writer on twitter:

kevintresoliniVerified account ‏@kevintresolini
Hearing from sources @CoachMonteRoss has been relieved of duties as @DelawareMBB coach. #BlueHens #CAAHoops

So now in the conference, we'll have 3 new coaches and a new commissioner. wow.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Beautiful - keep the wild and crazy change coming

Folks, this conf is RIPE for HU next year, even despite the player losses - I'm telling you, R I P E

It's UNCW's conf to lose, no question, they have everyone back - but the 2-4 spots are WIDE OPEN, and there is no reason HU can't take advantage - I think after some initial bumps and gelling, this team is going to surprise come this time next yr.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Beautiful - keep the wild and crazy change coming

Folks, this conf is RIPE for HU next year, even despite the player losses - I'm telling you, R I P E

It's UNCW's conf to lose, no question, they have everyone back - but the 2-4 spots are WIDE OPEN, and there is no reason HU can't take advantage - I think after some initial bumps and gelling, this team is going to surprise come this time next yr.
Don't count out Charleston...they have plenty back even without Barry
HU87

Post by HU87 »

With Chris Flemmings as a Junior walk-on (no scholarship), could he transfer freely to another program without sitting out a year?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I'm sure he's on scholarship now after the year he had
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Pikiell takes Rutgers job. Warney graduates. Good luck Stony Brook lol
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Good move by pickerel now who takes over SBU. Do you think they would hire Pecora
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wouldn't be the worst choice
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

At Least Tom Would be in a conference we he has a chance to win. We all know he is an excellent recruiter and if he brings in enough talent he doesnt have to be the best bench coach to win in this conference.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

He wouldn't be a bad choice for SBU, but I have a feeling that if they were to hire him, we would no longer play SBU since Hofstra does not want to play Pecora and he doesn't want to play us. Playing this rivalry game is a good thing for the Island as a whole. That being said, that will in no way be a deciding factor as to who Stony Brook hires.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wow, this move came out of nowhere. Nice guy, modest success, blown out of his only NCAA appearance. Going to make $1.6 million/year at RU. Newsday thinks his top assistant, Jay young, will get the job.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ProudofPride wrote:He wouldn't be a bad choice for SBU, but I have a feeling that if they were to hire him, we would no longer play SBU since Hofstra does not want to play Pecora and he doesn't want to play us. Playing this rivalry game is a good thing for the Island as a whole. That being said, that will in no way be a deciding factor as to who Stony Brook hires.
We're contracted to play for a bunch of years. The local teams have got to stop avoiding each other. Huge mistake! If we play the locals it would help build interest, pr, attendance for all the schools. We should be playing Iona, Manhattan, Stony Brook, Fordham and yes Monmouth....
Polito

Post by Polito »

TP is prob the highest level kind of guy they could really attract at the salary point they would be at...but it will NEVER happen.

I'm not sure if there are any more polar opposites between TP's personality and the culture of the SBU program - not a match or a fit AT ALL

:lol:

looks like their going the internal way with an assistant anyway. No knock here, but that should tell you all a lot about both the 'lure' of that job and the $ involved.

And I'm quite happy about that. Another positive for HU over the long run IMO.

Now, c'mon BC and Cluess, it's ACC time!!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Reports on Twitter say Drexel has hired Army's Zack Spiker.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I am surprised that a DU alum Bashir Mason, coaching at Wagner, did not get the position.
Polito

Post by Polito »

VERY surprised...

no knock on Spiker, solid young up and comer, but Mason fits like a glove - doesn't make any sense to me, he's done a super job at a brutal place in Wagner - logical choice, but maybe they wanted someone outside of the Drexel family - Spiker does have more overall experience at a couple of nice programs under some nice staffs... guess that's the difference

I'll take it though - Mason would be more dangerous for the conf IMO, young, credible, ties to the recruiting area, etc. - I think this hire is much easier for the rest of the CAA to navigate.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Big news on the women's side of things... Kenny Brooks is leaving JMU for Virginia Tech. He's the primary reason JMU has been so dominant in the conference for the past decade and a half (minus the years when Delaware had Elena Della Donne). It was good to have a team consistently so good since they were a great representative in the conference, but I don't think it'll be a bad thing to have more parity in the league. Hopefully it'll be a lot more competitive now.
This means JMU is now on the hunt for head coaches for both programs.