Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by ProudofPride »

JMU hires Louis Rowe
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just got a call from Dina Parratta. Tom Parratta will be the next coach of SBU. Details have to be worked out. She is so happy as her family still lives in Levittown, There is a small chance they will be my neighbors as the house across the street from me just went up for sale. It seems that SBU was impressed with Toms ability to recruit european players. They are looking to increase his recruiting budget so expect an announcement some time early next week. Welcome home Tom. Also toms son Mike will be entering high school next year so they want to be able to make the move early this summer.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Tough timing for an attempted (impressively so) April fools joke, Stu-- although you did make me have to check google/twitter to confirm ;-)

http://gobrookland.com/2016/04/01/break ... e-pikiell/
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HU87 wrote:Tough timing for an attempted (impressively so) April fools joke, Stu-- although you did make me have to check google/twitter to confirm ;-)

Look at the first letter of each paragraph in that article :lol:

In legit coaching news, Columbia just hired NJIT's Jim Engle.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If only they waited another day I might have been able to pull it off. Stoked the fire all week to set it up. To pull off the prank it has to sound believable. I was either that or Andre Walker leaving to go to SBU, Could not do it since Pikell isnt there anymore.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Stu..nice try but tough to justify Parrotta getting that job...I've got to think that SBU is aiming higher
Wags

Post by Wags »

Assistant Jay Young, who was largely responsible for Stony Brook becoming the best defensive team in the AE, and who was thought to be a natural successor to Pikiell there, will follow Pikiell to be his assistant at Rutgers.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
HU87 wrote:Tough timing for an attempted (impressively so) April fools joke, Stu-- although you did make me have to check google/twitter to confirm ;-)

Look at the first letter of each paragraph in that article :lol:
Haha, that part is clever!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Stony Brook hires Jeff Boals, who was an assistant at Ohio State.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I figured they would struggle a bit despite what some wanted to believe, and they did, but this is just a weird hire... I don't see the connection or the benefit for SBU at all - not retaining one of the assistants as expected, or going after someone with at least some strong local or northeast ties just feels like a big miss - maybe he's got the international connects or something

I expected not much, but this is quite lackluster IMO - therefore, I like it 8-)
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Surely it will be back page news at Newsday...Maybe all those Ohio State transfers will come with him.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Matt Brady landed on his feet as an assistant for LaSalle.

On a different note, did anyone see Jameel Warney's twitter reaction to Stony Brook's head coach announcement? He seem very upset that Jay Young did not get the job, and I wouldn't be surprised if other players feel the same way.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:Matt Brady landed on his feet as an assistant for LaSalle.

On a different note, did anyone see Jameel Warney's twitter reaction to Stony Brook's head coach announcement? He seem very upset that Jay Young did not get the job, and I wouldn't be surprised if other players feel the same way.
Well, maybe some players aren't who they appear to be anyway. We knew that first hand with Shaquille Stokes and his band of thieves. Now this, at SBU:

http://nypost.com/2016/04/11/stony-broo ... %20buttons

Wonder if THIS SBU story will make Newsday's back page (if they mention it at all).
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

How long ago did this incident occur. If it happened during the NCAA tourney, could SBU have been covering it up and the reason PIkell made a quick decision. Could this incident also be the reason why Young didnt get the HC position at SBU.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:How long ago did this incident occur. If it happened during the NCAA tourney, could SBU have been covering it up and the reason PIkell made a quick decision. Could this incident also be the reason why Young didnt get the HC position at SBU.
Says in the article it happened only 5 days ago.

But who knows what else might have been going on and who knew what before that?

Our guys were playing for a whole month -- Stokes was even celebrated as a hero for his game-winning 3 vs. South Dakota State -- while they were stealing stuff from HU dorm rooms the whole time. In that case, Mo nor his anyone on his staff knew until later.

So what you surmise, Stu, could very well have been the case on both accounts above. But my guess is that would've happened anyway, and it was just coincidental. Still, you never know.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

As a side note two strange observations on above:
1- a 5k refund for a full time college student is rare. How much did he earn in the past year to justify a $5k refund-maybe declared no deductions or dependents and tuition expense?
2-Why wouldn't anyone deposit the check initially. Who cashes a 5k check and leaves cash in his car?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, well... lookie what we have here - the mighty and all-powerful can fall after all ;)

#1 No sympathy from this side, we've been there!
#2 Even though I am chuckling a bit lol no bashing, this kind of thing is tough to prevent, it's all on the players and what they do in their personal time
#3 Speaking of, what the hell is up with these young men in general, some really foolish decisions being made - they need some real guidance
#4 LOL pretty good points bobe13!

And my personal favorite,

#5 Due to a myriad of reasons this offseason, bye bye SBU. See ya in 5-10.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So what happens now. Have these players been charged yet. If not why? If they have been when is the court date? Have they been suspended from the team pending the hearing?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

To answer my own question. Greg Logan from Newsday say they have been charged and SBU student council will look into disiplinary actions against these two playas.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Canisius HC Jim Baron announced his retirement today. Odd timing, he just signed a 3 year extension in March.