Coaching Carousel

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by Jojogunne »

OK, so one is Tom Parotta. I doubt SBU would hire TP. He was 44-106 at Fordham. Not a record that you would trumpet at a press conference.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Anyone hear anything about the other open CAA positions? It looks like UVA assistant Ron Sanchez is the front-runner for JMU, and Delaware will be a while since they still have to hire an AD, but Martin Inglesby and Blaine Taylor appear to be in the mix.
dan10

Post by dan10 »

The Shadow wrote:I am surprised that a DU alum Bashir Mason, coaching at Wagner, did not get the position.
Drexel did not want anyone from the Bruiser/Calipari tree and since he played under him he was out. They interviewed him, but went in a different direction. He did fit the bill, but the main points Drexel looked for was: 1) Head coaching experience at the D1 level and 2) Coming from an academic first background. It will be interesting to see what Spiker can do, it will be a world of difference from Army. I feel like Drexel could have done A LOT worse than this hire. Winning at Army just doesnt happen and he won while there and is in elite company (Knight and Krzyzewski). Hopefully he can follow the same routes as those 2 guys and Drexel will be just fine, though we may be looking for another coach in a few years if he is really successful.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo got one so who is the other. Think city high school coaches and AAU coaches who have a good relationship with him. Tom Pecora has priced himself out of the SBU job. So we have a TP its just TP lite. Parrattas family and his wife Dinas family are still on Long Island. Good fit. Cmon guys without giving you his intinals I cant think of any other clues to give you.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Tim Welsh!!!!! Nice bars out there
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

OK final clue guys. This guy also has ties with Tom Pecora.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:OK final clue guys. This guy also has ties with Tom Pecora.
Van Macon - great recruiter
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

daHUPride wrote:
stuball888 wrote:OK final clue guys. This guy also has ties with Tom Pecora.
Van Macon - great recruiter
Also out of a job at Rutgers.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HUSID80 wrote:Tim Welsh!!!!! Nice bars out there
Welsh withdrew his name from consideration when he found out John Harvard's was closed in January.

Jeez, no way SBU's top choices are Macon and Parrotta, maybe they are getting interviews, but I can't imagine the program going that way.
JordyNY

Post by JordyNY »

Joe Jones or Jason Hernandez.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

SBU has only so much money and they will be on the high end of the AE. At 500 K TP priced himself out of the job. SBU probably had a ceiling of 300K. Who is going to accept that. Macon and Parratta would accept that kind of money.Think they are going to get a top asst from a P-5 school think again. It would be a pay cut.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Stu Pecora has plenty of money. He needs a hoc job to get back in the mix...money isn't everything at this level
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It is common knowledge he wants 500K to coach. He will not take 300K to rebuild a program. I dont think TP is a fit for SBU. You want a young hungry coach. TP lite and Van macon would be happy with 300K.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Expect an announcement by the end of the week.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Stu you sound like an insider. Maybe you will get the job.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No I am holding out for the West Virginia mens lax head coaching position.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually for SBU its a very important recruiting season. They want a head coach in position ASAP.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Polito

Post by Polito »

No concern and very little interest in the SBU situation - I know some of you get all concerned with them, but this coaching change and the loss of a once-in-20-30 yr player like Warney is a huge setback for a program like that, will impact them for a loooooong time - they do not have the recruiting to reload - and I said before they don't have the $ some of you thought they might to pull some big time hot shot like VCU does - not happening

And as I previously stated, Pecora in no way shape or form would either be a fit for SBU or take that job - not happening - and he's the only one I'd be interested in how it would impact HU

If it's Parrotta or Macon, I would be very happy for them and root them on as former HU guys - but I have zero worry about the program for the next 5-10 yrs.

Much more interested in the CAA openings - Spiker at DU is ok, it's not a big time hire, but yes could've been worse - I'm not sure how much of a difference they'll see in CAA success with him, but he fits what they were looking for, and will continue the level of excellence they have as a program and the academic focus that DU is most interested in

Is he a better coach than Flint? Not sure about that, but we'll see - he's at least younger, and comes from some strong coaching environments.

Not super enamored with the UVA assistant for JMU, but I guess he's got the UVA pedigree - background before that seems less impressive than Spikers - but that's a dead-end basketball job IMO - would never go there if I were a real up-and-comer - total football focus, and the admin seems to be odd

UD is a complete mess. We know what that is like all too well. They'll need a couple-few years to get that straightened out.

Again, it isn't about what's good for the CAA, it's about what's best for HU - until I see real conf leadership and a real drive from the CAA admin to truly and fairly keep the interests of all it's members in mind, that's the position. The goal is for the elevation of HU. When I see the betterment of the CAA actual do something to better HU, we can talk about a kumbaya conf love affair.

Until then, here's to all the stars aligning for HU athletics to rise to new heights!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Surprised that Pikell gets more than Keatts but he has been at SBU a long time. So SBU looking to pay a base of 300K plus incentives. Could be a total compensation package of about 400K.