Coaching Carousel

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraHockey wrote:I don't know if Hurley wants to recruit in his brother's backyard, either. And it's not like Arizona State is a bad gig.

Hearing more and more about Cluess.
Cluess is a great NYer - knows the area; plays a style that players like playing; he'd be a great pick too - I'd be concerned of his age and go into the big stage. If they get Cluess - maybe get a HU v StJ game on the scheduled.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Cluess would be the Wright choice for St Johns
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Pitino?
Polito

Post by Polito »

If they don't hire Cluess this time the AD should be fired. They made that mistake once - to repeat it would be insane. The guy will do what he's always done - WIN.

And let's see what happens then, maybe Grasso is brought back from Bryant to lead Iona. Or maybe Cluess could bring him on staff for a pretty penny.

Hurley belongs in the ACC. Bet he's holding his position just biding time for Duke. Maybe one more East coast stop...maybe. But not SJU if he's smart. I don't see the fit.
He can leverage this attention for a sweet raise with basically minimal real expectations at ASU.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Some reports on twitter are saying that Cluess to SJU is pretty much a done deal.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

As many have said Cluess is probably "the guy' for St Johns -
Cluess also was one of the NY coaches at a local coaches summit a few years ago that saw the value of inter-play amongst local teams - he'll (hopefully-if hired by St J) have roots with StJ, Hofstra and Iona..which got me thinking;

How about a local tourney with a pool of 8 teams - 8 local teams from 8 different counties or boroughs...

Suffolk = Stony Brook; Nassau = Hofstra;
Queens = St Johns; Kings = LIU Brooklyn;
Richmond = Wagner; New York = Manhattan;
Bronx = Fordham; Westchester = Iona

Guaranteed 3 games...

Round I (Thursday)- Games played on Thursday Night are played on campus of a randomly selected teams - and this round rotate opponents yearly...

Round II (Saturday) - Would have the 4 winners play against each other on Saturday - at the Nassau Coliseum … 4 losing teams would play at the Barclays in Brooklyn...

Round III (Sunday) - Nassau Coliseum would have the losers from the winners bracket of Saturday and Championship game of the remaining 2 undefeated teams as the night cap....Barclays would have the same set up from the 4 teams that played in Brooklyn on Saturday...
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

daHUPride wrote:As many have said Cluess is probably "the guy' for St Johns -
Cluess also was one of the NY coaches at a local coaches summit a few years ago that saw the value of inter-play amongst local teams - he'll (hopefully-if hired by St J) utilize his roots with StJ, Hofstra and Iona..which got me thinking;

How about a local tourney with a pool of 8 teams - 8 local teams from 8 different counties or boroughs...

Guaranteed 3 games...

Round I (Thursday)- Games played on Thursday Night are played on campus of a randomly selected teams - and this round rotate opponents yearly...

Round II (Saturday) - Would have the 4 winners play against each other on Saturday - at the Nassau Coliseum … 4 losing teams would play at the Barclays in Brooklyn...

Round III (Sunday) - Nassau Coliseum would have the losers from the winners bracket of Saturday and Championship game of the remaining 2 undefeated teams as the night cap....Barclays would have the same set up from the 4 teams that played in Brooklyn on Saturday...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Cluess is the right hire for them. He's a good coach and will put in the work, and this is his last job, he won't be pining for a better spot. Seems like it is just down to contract details at this point.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

daHUPride wrote: As many have said Cluess is probably "the guy' for St Johns -
Cluess also was one of the NY coaches at a local coaches summit a few years ago that saw the value of inter-play amongst local teams - he'll (hopefully-if hired by St J) have roots with StJ, Hofstra and Iona..which got me thinking;

Guaranteed 3 games...

I proposed an area tournament a few months ago. Doing it by borough or county with eight of them in the area works. If all teams wanted to participate, there would be competition within boroughs. Brooklyn has LIU and St. Francis. Since they're both in the NEC, they could make deal to use the NEC standings, NET, or something else that whichever one is better qualified for the next season. Manhattan was created in Manhattan, but is in the Bronx. Fordham and Manhattan could play an annual game with the winner qualifying for next season. They played in 2018-2019, so they might play out of conference every season already. The only Division I team in Manhattan is Columbia. If the tournament was televised, it could make mid-majors want to play, in addition to the possibility of beating St. John's. St. John's could feel like they're on TV enough and have nothing to gain while risking embarrassing losses. If not every borough or county had a team that wanted to play, the area could be made bigger with New Jersey, Connecticut, and possible Marist in Poughkeepsie. I wouldn't want any team farther upstate than that.

Hofstra's Media Guide lists the teams who have won multiple Holiday Festivals. It only had 4 teams, and I don't know how many teams other than St. John's and Hofstra played in it a lot, so I don't think it's much of an accomplishment. Winning an 8 team like that would be a bigger accomplishment.

Teams would have to decide if they wanted to play out of conference when they may or may not play in this tournament. If the bracket was made in advance, teams would know their Quarterfinal opponent and site. Therefore if Hofstra and Stony Brook were meeting in the Quarterfinals, they could play once or play twice with the other team hosting a separate game. If Hofstra and Stony Brook might play at Nassau Coliseum or Barclays Center, they could play out of conference knowing that even if they played twice, it wouldn't be in the same place. Northeastern played consecutive games against Davidson on November 18 and 24. The first game was labeled Charleston Classic. The second game was labeled Charleston Classic - Campus Game and was at Davidson.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

SNY is desperate for winter programming- this would fit right in. They are doing it with college hockey in Connecticut, involving high schools as well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ex-Hofstra assistant coach Van Macon joins Mike Anderson's staff at St. John's.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Macon will help with local recruiting.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Macon will help with local recruiting.
I was thinking the same, hoping that with his Queens ties, he won't steal any good recruits from there (along the lines of Jenkins or JWF) for SJU, who would otherwise keep going to HU.
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
I was thinking the same, hoping that with his Queens ties, he won't steal any good recruits from there (along the lines of Jenkins or JWF) for SJU, who would otherwise keep going to HU.
With two experienced coaches for the three on-court coaching spots in place, the St johns Red Storm are said to be looking at veteran coaches like Steve DeMeo (former Hofstra assistant)...
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
Wags wrote:
With two experienced coaches for the three on-court coaching spots in place, the St johns Red Storm are said to be looking at veteran coaches like Steve DeMeo (former Hofstra assistant)...
Demeo just interviewed with St. John's and is now said to be a leading candidate for this spot.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Demeo hired by St. John's today.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Good luck to Steve. He's a good man and an excellent recruiter, especially with his recent Florida juco experience and success.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:Ex-Hofstra assistant coach Van Macon joins Mike Anderson's staff at St. John's.
Hofstra blast from the past - Van Macon - doing his thing. St Johns has signed the most significant local of the Anderson/Macon era, getting a verbal commitment from senior Rafael Pinzon of Long Island Lutheran represents a huge recruiting get for Anderson/Macon. no question Macon could recruit in NYC (area)