Coaching Carousel

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by Wags »

Didn't know which thread this belonged in, but I figured it was appropriate in this thread to be grateful that while others are forced to make changes, HU maintains some stability with a coach who again shows in the below link that he's a class act:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/3/26/mb ... alich.aspx
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

So true! He is a class act and stellar example for the program, department and University.

We are very fortunate to have him...now all we need is that NCAA Berth!!!! Bring it on JOE!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Nate Oats leaving Buffalo for Alabama.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very nice touch / email from JM. There's no question he's a good dude and standup guy. The appreciation is high and being made known, which is GREAT, and the support seems to be growing ever so slightly.

But that ain't the issue. He needs to stop falling flat at the end of every single season. Hope he can get it done in the next 3 years, but I'm pretty bearish on it at this point. At this point I am pulling for him to continue building the program, stay in the top half of the CAA, at least hit the NIT again, continue correcting the couple of major issues, and leave this program in SUPER shape positioned very well for his successor (hopefully a young rising stud) to take us to the next level.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:Niagara job open....did someone say Farrelly?????
Niagara named coach...not Farrelly
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Very nice touch / email from JM. There's no question he's a good dude and standup guy. The appreciation is high and being made known, which is GREAT, and the support seems to be growing ever so slightly.

But that ain't the issue. He needs to stop falling flat at the end of every single season. Hope he can get it done in the next 3 years, but I'm pretty bearish on it at this point. At this point I am pulling for him to continue building the program, stay in the top half of the CAA, at least hit the NIT again, continue correcting the couple of major issues, and leave this program in SUPER shape positioned very well for his successor (hopefully a young rising stud) to take us to the next level.
It's literally just defensive adjustments that is missing.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
Polito wrote:Very nice touch / email from JM. There's no question he's a good dude and standup guy. The appreciation is high and being made known, which is GREAT, and the support seems to be growing ever so slightly.

I just can't see it being that easy because if it was we would have resolved it by now. We also need that athletes to implement the system correctly and maybe just the more then 7 players Joe likes to use.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

St Johns - assistant coach/top recruiter Matt Abdelmassih - leaving St J to join his former employer F Hoiberg at Nebraska...St J considering "Tommy Boy" Pecora to fill his spot.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:

I just can't see it being that easy because if it was we would have resolved it by now. We also need that athletes to implement the system correctly and maybe just the more then 7 players Joe likes to use.
That's all part of coaching defense and making adjustments. Although someone else made the point, if Joe could do it he'd be coaching in a higher level conference.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He would be Bruce Pearl and coaching Auburn
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mihalich locked up for another five years today, through 2023-24.

Success leads to stability and vice versa, especially at a time when some other CAA rivals are in disarray lately. In that regard, HU's come a LONG way from 7-25.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Now what happens with Speedy He does deserve a shot at a head coaching job
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Now what happens with Speedy He does deserve a shot at a head coaching job
let him recruit the pg of the future first!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Good for Joe! Well deserved! Now get that NCAA TOURNAMENT BERTH!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Report from John Rothstein that Chris Mullin is resigning from SJU. Arizona State Coach Bobby Hurley seems to be the primary target.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:Report from John Rothstein that Chris Mullin is resigning from SJU. Arizona State Coach Bobby Hurley seems to be the primary target.
It's all about winning above everything else.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Always thought CM was a figure head that was brought in to restore credibility to StJ and NYC recruits - I think they did that...never thought coaching was CM passion.
Hurley would be a fantastic get!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

They will not get Hurley unless he is desperate to get back to NY....St John's no longer a premier coaching destination.

If they were smart they would go for Cluess...
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:They will not get Hurley unless he is desperate to get back to NY....St John's no longer a premier coaching destination.

If they were smart they would go for Cluess...
I believe - Hurley is an option - and if not Hurley I think a Duke-ie will be in the running.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I don't know if Hurley wants to recruit in his brother's backyard, either. And it's not like Arizona State is a bad gig.

Hearing more and more about Cluess.