Coaching Carousel

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Coaching Carousel

Post by ProudofPride »

Drexel officially fired Bruiser Flint today. JMU fans are saying Matt Brady is close to being let go, and I wouldn't be surprised if Delaware lets Monte Ross go.
daHUPride

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by daHUPride »

ProudofPride wrote:Drexel officially fired Bruiser Flint today. JMU fans are saying Matt Brady is close to being let go, and I wouldn't be surprised if Delaware lets Monte Ross go.
thought I heard Brady was being "retained" - he stormed out of his press conference this weekend when someone asked him if he had any "discussions about his future at JMU"?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wow - and here it goes... nothing new, madness every yr in the college ranks for bball and fball - one of the toughest industries and jobs

We know what it's like - thank you God that HU has found it's stability in mens hoops!! Such a blessing, reminding myself to enjoy it!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Amen
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Polito wrote:Wow - and here it goes... nothing new, madness every yr in the college ranks for bball and fball - one of the toughest industries and jobs

We know what it's like - thank you God that HU has found it's stability in mens hoops!! Such a blessing, reminding myself to enjoy it!
Hard to argue against stability from the Drexel standpoint. We have had the same guy in charge the past 15 years. It was time to move on if we want to move up (back to the top of the standings and an ncaa berth). Your coach is still new to Hofstra, I would not think it is correct to scream that you have found stability. It is hard to be very stable playing the transfer game, although he has done very well with it so far. But having a bad transfer class or two will send you right to the bottom and that can happen in a blink of an eye and his job security wont be nearly as strong as it appears today.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

dan10 wrote:
Polito wrote:Wow - and here it goes... nothing new, madness every yr in the college ranks for bball and fball - one of the toughest industries and jobs

Hard to argue against stability from the Drexel standpoint. We have had the same guy in charge the past 15 years. It was time to move on if we want to move up (back to the top of the standings and an ncaa berth). Your coach is still new to Hofstra, I would not think it is correct to scream that you have found stability. It is hard to be very stable playing the transfer game, although he has done very well with it so far. But having a bad transfer class or two will send you right to the bottom and that can happen in a blink of an eye and his job security wont be nearly as strong as it appears today.
At the very least, Mihalich earned himself more years by stabilizing the program, if we can get five more years before he would like to retire, that's a win for Hofstra. Honestly, I'm just hoping we can keep Farrelly for a few more years, I think he becomes a head coach sooner than later.

As for Bru getting the boot, I think he's a good man, but it's time to move on. He is/was a solid recruiter and coach, but he had to take Drexel to the top at least once. I think Drexel is a quietly desirable job though, and they should not have too many problems getting a good staff in there.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

In terms of stability, it seems that once JAM eventually retires, Speedy will step in as head coach, since he originally wanted and interviewed for the Head job. Don't forget JAM recently signed an extension as well, and with his age and now fairly central location to all 3 of his kids, he has no plans to go anywhere. And when Jay Wright was on campus watching Hofstra practice earlier this season, he kept saying how impressed he was with Speedy, and how much more vocal and how much more of a teacher he is now than he was as a player. I think we'll be in good hands in the long term. We may have some down years, but overall we'll be well off.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Here's the latest Matt Brady news from the JMU board...
http://csnbbs.com/thread-773274.html
Polito

Post by Polito »

think you misunderstood Dan, HU has found stability in its PROGRAM through JM and his staff - considering what he took over, this program has established itself once again and produced a tremendous turnaround

Also, I do think it's very likely that JM retires here - man has some more good years in him though leading the charge, so not rushing him, lol, but yeah, I think he'll continue to firm up the foundation over his remaining time on the HU court
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:Drexel officially fired Bruiser Flint today. JMU fans are saying Matt Brady is close to being let go, and I wouldn't be surprised if Delaware lets Monte Ross go.
thought I heard Brady was being "retained" - he stormed out of his press conference this weekend when someone asked him if he had any "discussions about his future at JMU"?
That's not what happened at all, and that take is extremely unfair to Brady.

It was the last question of the press conference. A reporter asked him point blank, "Will you be returning to JMU next season?"

Brady responded (quite understandably), "No comment."

The press conference was over at that point, and everyone in the room left, not just Brady.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That's a crappy basketball job - it's a football school - and I'm not saying to knock, I grew up 2 hrs away. It's just not a great place for bball in this era.

They have underperformed for years in the CAAT - it's a tough place to win big - facilities are great, but their focus is clear - they look like a CUSA program to me... a place where football can continue to thrive, and bball can be 'ok' and all will be well for them.

At any rate, they had a super player in Curry, but they've had a lot of other issues for some time. Writing was prob on the wall.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Rutgers fired Eddie Jordan today.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Dan, I disagree completely with the notion that transfers are somehow this uber risk, or that you can't build a program on them - this is a common opinion I see even around here, and I think it's incorrect, and here's why

I think that's how it used to be when many years ago the only players that really transferred where guys who couldn't hack it at that level/school, and/or got sent packing due to issues - trying to land a diamond in the rough, or taking major chances on high risk guys was basically what it boiled down to years ago

That is SO not the case anymore - in this era, TOP quality guys transfer every single year - good character guys transfer - guys who have real talent but desire a different situation transfer - coaches change like the wind, and therefore, players do as well

That means that mid majors can now land super talent or super fits unlike ever before - and they are

It's no longer a high-risk proposition, it's now THE way to go in the mid major world IMO - majors don't really need it as much because a lot of times if you're a big dog you've got a 4 star in every class, and in a game of 5, 1 stud (20% of your team) can make a monster impact and change your entire look in 1 yr

Mid's don't have that luxury, so they can go another route, and the proof is clear, esp in the CAA - HU's is well-known, Towson's best player and the primary reason they're above .500 is because of transfer Moto, UNCW NCAAT team is built on the D2 and UNCC transfers - and outside the CAA Iona, my goodness, they are transfer-central and have now made the NCAA or NIT the last 4 yrs, and I think 3 out of the last 4 MAAC title games

I'm a big fan of utilizing them to either revitalize or elevate a program quickly - they can be fantastic gap fillers, and can play key roles in filling out a championship team

In general, I'm a big fan all-around of a mid like HU using transfers, 5th yrs, JUCO's, and especially prep guys - this often allows mids to obtain both talent and experience and compete against the big boys

And yes, the one big disclaimer here is that you need to have a solid eye for talent evaluation, and most important have vision for a player for what maybe he hasn't displayed yet, and be able to understand what you need to fit YOUR system - for HU, Koon is a super example of a guy who has ability and played decently for Princeton, but brought into HU's world he flat out flourished - without Koon this year, HU is actually a very different team. One example, can say that about a few guys and teams, but it makes the point.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jon RothsteinVerified account ‏@JonRothstein
James Madison has fired head coach Matt Brady, per release.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOT of heads rolling, but that's nothing new - every yr, all sports - tough tough industry

Oh, and because I won't let a hot topic die, lol, to all the transfer doubters, Hawaii says "ALOHA!!"
Polito

Post by Polito »

So, to add, things are once again going to get very interesting...

starting first with Rutgers - that will have big implications - obviously Hurley is their primary, but URI has everyone key coming back and is poised for a big yr - their next HC will also play into the decision of Aleem Ford as they are the 'biggest' offer thus far, and prob HU's top competition besides Richmond (which I don't consider competition - no offense to them, but they are in college bball purgatory - not a major, not a P5, not really a true mid, kind of just hidden in the middle of the A10 - no identity at all)

BC is another job that could pull someone of quality - would LOVE to see someone go after Cluess - I think 3 NCAAT in 5 yrs at a school the size of a HS is worthy of some real looks - would LOVE to get him out of this area!!

I think Drexel should go after Mason from Wagner - seems like a great fit

JMU, who knows - I really think they are in for the toughest go here... and prob some very tough years ahead - stick to football - that's the desire there anyway (and the $ maker)

If Keats makes some tourney noise, he will be another hot commodity despite year 2 - one thing about the W, they have a knack for hiring great young coaches - that makes it tough for HU every few yrs, but also means that we'll never have to worry about the same guy for long! And then it's a bit of rebuilding time which should allow HU nice openings in between! The value of a quality stable staff in this day and age is major

anyway, very thankful we don't have to worry about a HC change - and all this could bode well for HU, can be a big benefactor from a key transfer or 2 depending on how it all plays out...

now we just need more conf re-alignment!! :D
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Not a coaching change, but Kory Holden was just granted his release from Delaware. He was essentially the only good player they had left for next year. How much longer can Monte Ross realistically stay there, after a lame duck season this year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Gonzo this yr or next.

And WOW, now Cluess failing to backup conference mate Monmouth after their blatent diss by the committee - quoted saying the selection committee knows better than we do !!

Vinny Simone Twitter
Iona HC Tim Cluess on Monmouth: "It's a shame they didn't [get in] but the Selection Committee knows better than we do"
HUH?!?!?! What the hell kind of BS chicken ish is that???????

that is WEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAK - that guy just dropped about 100 pegs in respect to me - that is a pitiful display for a fellow mid major who fought their butts off to buck the biased system.

BOOOOOOO ClueLESS - I hope they get absolutely TROUNCED in the dance (even though they have the ability to knock off a few lol)
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Gonzo this yr or next.

And WOW, now Cluess failing to backup conference mate Monmouth after their blatent diss by the committee - quoted saying the selection committee knows better than we do !!

Vinny Simone Twitter
Iona HC Tim Cluess on Monmouth: "It's a shame they didn't [get in] but the Selection Committee knows better than we do"

that is WEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAK - that guy just dropped about 100 pegs in respect to me - that is a pitiful display for a fellow mid major who fought their butts off to buck the biased system.

BOOOOOOO ClueLESS - I hope they get absolutely TROUNCED in the dance (even though they have the ability to knock off a few lol)
Polito wrote:Gonzo this yr or next.

Vinny Simone Twitter

REALLY WEAK - COME ON MAN - BE HONEST - DIDNT IONA AND MONMOUTH GO TO BLOWS DURING A GAME THIS SEASON???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

No love lost between those two... and give Clues some slack he's a Hofstra guy!