2016 CAA Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

2016 CAA Tournament

Post by Wags »

I figured I'd start one central thread to capture all posts on this year's CAA tournament.

And with that, since we're still several days away, I figured I'd also start it off with this bracketology prediction in the case that Hofstra wins the CAA tourney:

They have us as a 13 seed in Des Moines, against Duke! http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

They also have Stony Brook as a 13 seed, in Oklahoma City, against Baylor.

SBU's RPI (63) is very comparable to HU's (60). But as in most years, AE vs. CAA is no comparison this year. HU should be a spot or two higher, I think. But Hofstra vs. Duke, and then nothing overly scary in Iowa/Valpo after that, with Monmouth (at 11) interestingly in the same South region. These aren't worth the time it took to put them together until the actual bracket comes out. But that would be fun to be the next CAA team to take down Duke in the NCAAT (after VCU did it). I would also hope that Brooklyn would get better teams than what's listed there.
EvanJ

Re: 2016 CAA Tournament

Post by EvanJ »

I saw that and two brackets that had Hofstra playing Maryland, one 3 vs. 14 and one 4 vs. 13.
hualum

Post by hualum »

maybe i'm nuts...but can we hold off on the Bracketology talk? :) I've been a fan for too long, and have seen too much. . .
Polito

Post by Polito »

yes, first thing first! FOCUS PEOPLE

And des moine?! I mean don't get me wrong, I won't complain about landing in the dance, and a favorable matchup is key, but no thanks to that location! There's Brooklyn, Providence, let's pray for a decent place the fans can actually get to!

But yeah, any dance would be awesome :D
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

CBS Sports is tweeting out the brackets for each conference tournament. The CAA tweeted a GIF they made of Juan'ya :lol:

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 3313065985
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Polito wrote:yes, first thing first! FOCUS PEOPLE

And des moine?! I mean don't get me wrong, I won't complain about landing in the dance, and a favorable matchup is key, but no thanks to that location! There's Brooklyn, Providence, let's pray for a decent place the fans can actually get to!

But yeah, any dance would be awesome :D
I remember when our women took down ODU's streak and won our first ticket to the dance...were promptly rewarded by being sent to albuquerque
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, I've been watching NCAAT greatest cinderella stories and highlights on YT nonstop LOL

This team CAN DO IT!!! Just gotta GET THERE!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

So the question is, who do we want in the quarterfinals, Drexel or Elon?

I want Drexel badly. While I think Elon is probably the better matchup for us (both teams played us close twice), Bruiser's at his best during CAAT time, and we have not played Drexel in the Tournament since '05. There will be a loud contingency of Hofstra fans pulling for Drexel on Friday Night!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Honestly, I think both have the potential to be dangerous. I agree and would rather us play Drexel. They'll probably have a more difficult time than Elon would with consecutive games, and Elon has a lot of players that can get hot from the field.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:So the question is, who do we want in the quarterfinals, Drexel or Elon?

I want Drexel badly. While I think Elon is probably the better matchup for us (both teams played us close twice), Bruiser's at his best during CAAT time, and we have not played Drexel in the Tournament since '05. There will be a loud contingency of Hofstra fans pulling for Drexel on Friday Night!
All four games against both teams were close, but the two against Elon were the closest and they at least have some offense. I'd rather play the team (in Drexel) that often struggles to score, and which would have a tougher time keeping up with Hofstra's ability to score.

Way more than getting Drexel, though, I want W&M for the perfect revenge game in a reverse of last year, with HU and W&M flip-flopping the seeds from last year, in the same round.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I would love to play Drexel.. Both teams can win games, but I just want to be around Bruiser for another night.. I love that dude. After he gets canned this year, maybe he can come work for Hofstra in some capacity..

Go Dragons on Friday
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Honestly....the first game has my attention, regardless of opponent.....I am more confident about the second game than the first......
hualum

Post by hualum »

i'm nervous about this weekend. Just this feel that this is our shot. I think we will be competitive next yr but not like this. . .then who knows. . .
btw. . . Ken Pom has UNCW as slight favorite in CAA Tourney.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog ... nt_preview
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Good let us be the underdogs!
Polito

Post by Polito »

It's funny, I'm not nervous per say, I think I'm pretty excited to see what the boys can really do - I've accepted that this conf is brutal and HU is not really the kind of team to bury people left and right - every game is a battle, and all too often, down to the wire - I'm sure I'll be going wild once the games begin though of course lol

The team is really excited, really confident, and they have 100% faith that JG can lead them to the promised land - I like it.

That said, not sure if you guys are following other mid conf tourneys, but there are a LOT of top teams going down... Albany, Ark Little Rock, North FL, Bucknell, etc. - these are all either the favorite or strong seeds in their conf - crazy year, the parity is incredible, and it's going to be a wild March!
hualum

Post by hualum »

Polito wrote:That said, not sure if you guys are following other mid conf tourneys, but there are a LOT of top teams going down... Albany, Ark Little Rock, North FL, Bucknell, etc. - these are all either the favorite or strong seeds in their conf - crazy year, the parity is incredible, and it's going to be a wild March!

I HAVE noticed. And it's GOOD for HU. In the event we make it the more "lower" seeds in the better SEED we SHOULD get.
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Drexel up 18-4 at the under 12 media timeout.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

dan10 wrote:Drexel up 18-4 at the under 12 media timeout.
Hope they keep it up!

The entire Hofstra team is there watching and scouting.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
Hope they keep it up!

Tayvon Allen just hanging out on the perimeter. He's 4/5, all from 3. Elon just 8/23; started 1/9.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
Hope they keep it up!

https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 1342754817