MBB vs. UNCW

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

MBB vs. UNCW

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Awesome to see the school starting to get interest in this game!

I think the key for us will be free throws and turnovers. UNCW turns people over, and fouls a lot. We have to protect the ball, and hit our free throws like in the Drexel game, and it will put a lot of pressure on UNCW to have a big shooting night.

Another area where UNCW has struggled has been at giving up offensive rebounds, they are worst in the conference in that category. Need another huge performance from Rok, who may start drawing more doubles since he has been so dominant in conference play. This would be a good night for Bernardi to get out of his slump, if they try to double Rok, our perimeter shooters will be the beneficiaries.
Polito

Re: MBB vs. UNCW

Post by Polito »

Folks, this is an absolute M U S T win.

Of course for the obvious reason of battling for the top spot in the CAA and the conf crown, BUT almost just as important because this will be one of the highest attended and most covered games of the season - this is HUGE for the rep/perception/marketability of the program

Home game, epic battle, good crowd, semi-national coverage, local attention, CAA and NCAA impact, this is a game you leave every bit of you on the floor - blood sweat tears - HU mentality and attitude is to not leave that floor without a W - I don't care how, just W I N.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Sports Illustrated calls this the Mid-Major Game of the Week
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... d-vanvleet
Flying Dutchmen

Here's a link to the UNCW Message Board:

http://csnbbs.com/forum-686.html

I've been trying to get registered to their board for days (to talk smack lol), but there does not seem to be an admin to approve the request.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: Sports Illustrated calls this the Mid-Major Game of the Week
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... d-vanvleet
That's nice. The northeast has another big mid-major game on Friday when Columbia goes to Yale. Princeton leads the Ivy League in RPI, but the Ivy League standings is what matters because there is no conference tournament, and Columbia and Yale are each 4-0 in the Ivy League. There are eight teams undefeated in their conference, and the Ivy League is the only conference/league/association with two undefeated teams.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... me/1900#BT says Hofstra is favored by 4.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I cannot believe I have to be out of town on business tomorrow! I'm think I found a few friends to take my seats - I don't want them to be empty. Hope all of you that go have a great time seeing a big win. I'll be following along on Twitter since I'll be in meetings during the game. So happy to see the school finally get behind the team. This could finally be the momentum we need to get people to start coming consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Let's go people, stop working your jobs so hard and get FOCUSED on what's really important here!!! :P

Biggest game of regular season so far

UNCW is mostly a guard driven team - they have a 2-3 main guys, all guards - 6'5 Flemmings a jr walk-on from a D2 is a great story who to his credit is lighting it up (hope for Sabety here!), one time HU recruit 6'5 Bryce as a true freshman, and another guard 6' Ingram - all 3 can score in double-digits - that said, they are really a younger team in terms of experience - that tells me this is a well-coached club, because on paper this basically a D2 walk-on and a freshman - that's not really fair obviously as they are talented, but this is a game HU should and needs to win, no matter what - they need to be focused and dialed-in as a talented and more experienced group playing with purpose for a prize at home

They have some depth (who doesn't compared to HU), a little bit of size in the post, but nothing crazy - their bread and butter is in their guard play - it's an interesting matchup in that regard

This will be a battle of stars between JG and CF - this is a great opp for JG to solidify his POY status against a dark horse candidate, and and I'm looking for RG to have a MONSTER game and continue exerting his growing dominance in this league. I expect a tough fight, mostly because neither team has played the other yet and both will be feeling things out the first half, but if for some reason HU takes this one by a relative comfortable margin, say 10+, that will say a heck of a lot about this teams focus and ability to finish this season in fantastic fashion

Ok, HU, you want to win the CAA? You want fans in the seats? You want to earn the attention and hype? Well, this is it. This is where an experienced, battle-weathered group shows out. Go out there tonight and GET IT fellas!!

#RISINGPRIDE
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Polito wrote:Let's go people, stop working your jobs so hard and get FOCUSED on what's really important here!!! :P
Roger that Polito... I'm trying to finish up my work early to get to this game on time!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I'm bringing four...if we all did that........
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Dooku25 wrote:
Polito wrote:Let's go people, stop working your jobs so hard and get FOCUSED on what's really important here!!! :P
Roger that Polito... I'm trying to finish up my work early to get to this game on time!
I just canceled my last appointment - I am in - earlier in the week I said I cant give my extra tickets away - funny thing - I now have had 4 requests for them for tonights game - I hope that means the recent news coverage woke up some people and we have a great crowd - Go Hofstra
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I have not been this excited for a regular season CAA game in a long long time. I hope the HU community comes out. I really believe this is an important step for the rest of the regular season. You must win your home league games to position yourself to do well in the CAAT with the most amount of rest between games. GO DUTCH!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Coach Keatts has proven through his short tenure that he'll have his guys ready to play. They're hot, on a six-game win streak, and I know they'll be just as ready to take this game as our guys are.

Like Polito said, maybe not the most talented team out there but they have depth and a handful of players that can kill you on any given night. To win this game I think we need to see Bernardi reemerge as the ace shooter we know he can be, but most importantly if we can beat them on the boards by a good amount, I like our chances. Go Pride.
Flying Dutchmen

daHUPride wrote:I just canceled my last appointment - I am in - earlier in the week I said I cant give my extra tickets away - funny thing - I now have had 4 requests for them for tonights game - I hope that means the recent news coverage woke up some people and we have a great crowd - Go Hofstra
Awesome!

Overall our crew will be about 10-11 people, maybe more, lot more interest in my extra ticket this week than probably in the last three years.

What's everybody's attendance guess? I'm going 2800, hoping the locals push the number into the 3500 range though! We need a big effort from the student section, this is our toughest opponent to date!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=105890&a=1 has statistics. Hofstra is starting Green, Tanksley, Gustys, Koon, and Bernardi. UNC Wilmington is starting Chris Flemmings (guard), Jordon Talley (guard), Denzel Ingram (guard), C.J. Bryce (guard), and C.J. Gettys (center). http://www.caasports.com/custompages/st ... m#team.ind has their statistics. They have had 10 players start a game. Their two leading scorers, Flemmings and Ingram, shoot three-pointers well, but they make under a third of their three-points as a team. Ingram doesn't shoot two-pointers well. They have significantly more assists, steals, and blocked shots than their opponents and significantly fewer turnovers than their opponents.

http://portal.stretchinternet.com/caa/p ... Type=video has video.

Edit: Hofstra has 10 field goal attempts and is on pace for 93 field goal attempts. Hofstra's season-high is 78 field goal attempts and the team record is 94.
Wags

Post by Wags »

https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 2690471942

During the first timeout, the ref asked security to talk to the Lion's Den:
"They can say [UNCW] sucks, [but don't make it personal]."

Didn't hear exactly what the student section fans said that the ref objected to.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 2690471942

During the first timeout, the ref asked security to talk to the Lion's Den:
"They can say [UNCW] sucks, [but don't make it personal]."

Didn't hear exactly what the student section fans said that the ref objected to.
UPDATE: Ref explained it was fan calling UNCW p-ssies.
Wags

Post by Wags »

https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 3212379136

2nd straight game at The Mack that the road team started 2/16 from the floor (W&M last time).
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This is awesome so far!

This game is big enough that Jeff Borzello of ESPN is there
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status ... 6799228929
Wags

Post by Wags »

HU relaxed too much to end the half.

In complete control, up 38-18, and they let UNCW score the final 8, in the last 2:05 of the half, to get within 38-26.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Hopefully we can regain some momentum in the second half. You have to assume their cold shooting won't last forever.