Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Post by Polito »

It's high time for a central thread on this. I know this area is checked, so let's start making some noise folks.

These coaches and athletes DESERVE better than the complete lack of effort and apathy being shown to them by the folks in charge

And this is not for social media - that area has been fantastic thanks to some hardworking coaching staff - but that's free promotion, it is NOT a replacement for a true marketing effort - clearly, that is a bonus, but not enough

They can beg the fans to come out all they want, but the only ones that hear those pleas are the ones already attending - it is absolutely SHAMEFUL that there is no effective comprehensive plan for one of the top athletic programs in the entire tri-state to attract NEW fans

And it's time to get answers and cause change - it's time to see FULL commitment - it's time for the admin to go ALL IN

Who is in charge? Who is accountable for this, and when are they going to answer for the pitiful effort and matching results?
What is the budget? And is it a REAL one that's appropriate to be impactful?
Why isn't anyone taking ACTION?? Coaches begging is embarrassing, does that really not bother anyone in charge enough to DO SOMETHING about it??

#GETSERIOUSABOUTPRIDE
stuball888

Re: Lack of HU Sports Advertising/Marketing is UNACCEPTABLE

Post by stuball888 »

Polito you are preaching to the choir. All I hear are excuses. I dont want us to be compared to Iona or Fordham. Both play in small gyms. There is a lack of thinking outside the box. I am almost giving up because it falls on the administration . It starts at the top and filters its way down. I know someone had said there was a commerical and it involved a SBU basketball player promoting the mens basketball team in a commercial . Is that legal under NCAA rules. I once asked if players can go to the roosevelt Field mall and hofstra set up a kioske . Was told it would be in violation of NCAA rules. Polito truthfully I am at my wits end. Here is the way I see it. Look at what is happening to walmart. because of amazon and other online shopping services they are closing 140 stores and laying off about 10,000 employees. I see the brick and morter stores going by way of the dinosaur. Why go to a Hofstra game when you can get a live video stream on your computer for free. you can see the game without leaving your house. Some people, myself included will have trouble even getting to a 7pm start during the week. I close my business at 8pm by the time I close and get to Hofstra it is usually around 815 to 830. Many people I know work till 6 and get off the train at 7. No time to get to the game on time.Not an excuse for me because I break speed records to get to see the games and donate handsomely to the pride club.
Last edited by stuball888 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

So who do we email?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Everyone should email athletic director...I know I will...who else is on board???>>
garyg

Post by garyg »

Everyone email Jeffrey Hathaway, the athletic director...jeffrey.hathaway@hofstra.edu

I just did...Polito, your turn!!!!!!!!!!!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Here's some marketing for Friday's WBB game:

"The early start time for the Colonial Athletic Association matchup will feature almost 1,800 students from local schools ranging from third-to-sixth grade as part of What I Want To Be Day. Before the game, the students will see presentations on careers that will include sports journalists, sports broadcasters, social media management, and athletes (including appearances by the New York Cosmos) among other fields."

http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2016/1/20 ... 62513.aspx
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

jojojonne that is the one promo they have every year.it should draw about 2 K. There is no other promos the test of the year. One promo for women's basketball isn't going to get the job done
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone else email Hathaway ???????????????
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

A friend told me he heard a Hofstra spot on WFAN this morning so that's something. I asked if it was for Saturday or future but he didn't hear the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZQzlC8VAAAt08T.jpg

Here's an example of a creative college basketball promotion.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:A friend told me he heard a Hofstra spot on WFAN this morning so that's something. I asked if it was for Saturday or future but he didn't hear the whole thing.
Because he missed the beginning or because the ad was so ineffective that he tuned out?
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZQzlC8VAAAt08T.jpg

Here's an example of a creative college basketball promotion.
That's pretty cool and creative, except that if they're choosing the games right after significant snowstorms to lure crowds to games with discounts, they're already depleting the possible pool of people that would be willing to drive to the games. And since that's for Georgetown, given how the entire city came to a halt from a simple dusting, with at least 1,000 accidents (even the President's motorcade was delayed by two hours), I don't think this promo will do that well. A different type of promo at another time, when people could actually travel better, would likely be a lot more effective -- although they probably figure a nice discount might convince some people to come to a game who would never consider it in that type of weather for the regular price.

Putting this idea to better use with the largest possible pool of potential customers, with the mild Fall and Winter we've had (until this week), HU should have offered the same type of thing basing the percentage discounts on the number of degrees it was above normal.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The way I see it is missed opportunities with Hofstra. They have always in my book been reactive than proactive. The season is already more than half done and they are closing the barn door after 70 percent of the horses left.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:The way I see it is missed opportunities with Hofstra. They have always in my book been reactive than proactive. The season is already more than half done and they are closing the barn door after 70 percent of the horses left.
Do they still do that awful re-seating idea that Jack Hayes instituted?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:The way I see it is missed opportunities with Hofstra. They have always in my book been reactive than proactive. The season is already more than half done and they are closing the barn door after 70 percent of the horses left.
Do they still do that awful re-seating idea that Jack Hayes instituted?
Shush.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Wags wrote:
Pride97 wrote:A friend told me he heard a Hofstra spot on WFAN this morning so that's something. I asked if it was for Saturday or future but he didn't hear the whole thing.
Because he missed the beginning or because the ad was so ineffective that he tuned out?
Haha - fair. He missed the top.

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I heard the ad a while back. It was just a generic ad about coming out to watch exciting basketball and how to buy tickets. There were no specific dates mentioned.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

What have we done to promote the W & M game???? There is a big article in Newsday previewing the SBU-Albany game but NOTHING about Hofstra vs William & Mary after last season's double overtime semi-final...WHAT"S GOING ON?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HUSID80 you just wrapped it up in a nutshell.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Frustrating tweet ...
Seawolves Facilities (@StonyBrookFAC)
1/22/16, 6:43 PM
The view from the @ESPNU cameras. We tip at 9pm in front of a sold out crowd. pic.twitter.com/7zIKwY2nnd