Paradise Jam 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Paradise Jam 2015

Post by Polito »

Ok, let's centralize ourselves for this big weekend

Some opening thoughts on a few from the bigger conferences:

Tulsa - just shocked the shockers from Wichita St (#9)! Experienced team, will be a tough out, may surprise
USC - another experienced team, they seem to have the ability to win a few here (already beat Norfolk St in the Mainland game)
FSU - young, but scores a LOT - probably have the best talent of anyone in the event, but that talent is freshmen
Depaul - guard oriented, specifically a couple of talented wings 6'5-6'6 guys they are built around - not super, but look like a solid club
Ohio - seem to be a traditional makeup, middle experience, some inside/outside play - just a guess, don't know a lot about them really

I think HU has the scoring ability to put up more points than anyone except for maybe FSU - they can, it's just that FSU can also easily score over 100

HU simply can NOT miss easy buckets this weekend - they MUST finish - their mantra should be Bart Simpson-esque: "I will NOT miss easy baskets" "I will NOT miss easy baskets" "I will NOT miss easy baskets" "I will NOT miss easy baskets" "I will NOT miss easy baskets" "I will NOT miss easy baskets" "I will NOT miss easy baskets" 8-) 8-) 8-)

FSU doesn't seem to shoot a lot of 3's, or guard them tremendously well for that matter, so that could play well for HU - if they can keep FSU inside (which is going to be their strength with their size advantage anyway) and take care of business from behind the arc, HU will have a shot - they will not stop FSU from scoring, just need to play serviceable D and knock down 3's - FSU's talent is young, and even 5 stars make mistakes as freshmen - HU MUST take advantage, grab steals, get them fouling, etc...

My biggest concern is the fouling component for HU - not just HU's guys getting in foul trouble, but the result of HU playing soft in the post in order to not get into trouble - I expect a lot of standing straight with arms up positions as FSU guys pound/drive inside - the Noles will get their buckets, that's why HU will have to punish them from deep

Going to be a big time test for Rokas, Nichols, and Koon...BIG test - I also think Walker MUST play in this game - I don't think HU will have a choice - FSU is absolutely HUGE - the ticky tack foul nonsense this yr is going to put a lot of pressure on all big men, so you need as many as you can get - his shot blocking presence can be a major factor, and HU needs it badly

It will be tough to outscore them, but if they play right it can be done
garyg

Re: Paradise Jam 2015

Post by garyg »

I am hoping Hofstra can be competitive in each game. By competitive I mean play each game within 12 points or less. Sure, I am hoping we come back with a win or two but I will take competitive over being embarrassed...
jaspegs

Post by jaspegs »

Feels like forever the last time Hofstra beat a BCS school.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

The whole field is incredibly solid. No top 10 teams (yet), but a LOT of teams that will be RPI 1-50 by the end of the season. Polito did a great write-up of the competition, and I agree with the analysis. Just to add, Ohio is a SOLID program too. They beat a good FGCU, and have a good balance between quick guard play and legit big men. It's a program that normally finds itself in postseason play.

FSU does have a lot of size, but predominately has played through their 6'4''-6'7'' freshman, and their main returning scorer/distributor, Xavier Rathan-Mayes (who was a HS teammate of Andrew Wiggins). I think forcing them to take 3's through our 1-3-1 will be a focus going in. This would also stop iso post-ups from their wings, and force their big men to make a difference, which hasn't been the case thus far this season.

I think we could lose this game by 50 or win by 15-- It'll all depend on which team shows up and if our 3's start dropping more consistently. We're shooting a respectable 38% from 3 through 2 games, but mostly as a result of Bernardi's incredible 62% from distance. If Juan'ya, Tanksley and Koon continue to average <30% from 3, we're in some serious trouble.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Florida State's freshman swingman, Duane Bacon has been lighting it up so far, and he was a top-15 prospect. He's going to be a lot of trouble.

HU87, I think you're right on with going in that 1-3-1 zone to try to force more perimeter shots, we cannot play these guys in man to man. Also we've had success generating the fast break in that zone, which is our bread and butter.

Polito mentioned earlier that it's probably a bad idea to run with Florida State, I agree, but we have to push the fast break when it presents itself, because they're going to have a huge size advantage if we allow them to consistently set their defense. If we struggle too much inside, the perimeter will never be open. I think the key to the game will be generating turnovers that lead to fast break points, and cleaning up our sloppiness in the offensive zone, for example Molloy jumped the same cross-court pass from the top of the key three times in the first half of Monday's game, leading to two turnovers. It was just sloppy ball movement that should be easily eliminated.

We're going to face a lot of size in this tournament, we're one of, if not the smallest team in the field. We have to play our uptempo game and hit shots. Really hoping Tanksley turns it on, we've struggled with consistent secondary scoring. I think Bernardi is more limited as an offensive player than Tanksley, but a much better perimeter shooter. We need Ameen to be that inside-outside threat that he has shown flashes of being last year.

Also, I think this will be Juan'ya's tournament to shine. His first two games were a little sloppy, but he is a ridiculously smooth player, can turn up the defense when need be, and as coach always mentions, an elite passer. He will be the one to facilitate all of our potential victories on a national stage, he has a lot to gain by performing well in this tournament.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I don't get CBS Sports Network at my house, is there anywhere else the game is streaming online? If not I can always listen to WRHU, but video is obviously better than just audio.

FSU opens as 6.5 point favorites
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone care to make prediction on final score of today's Pride game??
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

In the first game of the day, Ohio is up over Tulsa 54-37 at halftime.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Game day! This is a big one...

I'd say high scoring is likely, although I'd REALLY like HU to keep it at a reasonable pace - this needs to be controlled scoring - take advantage of their youth, create turnovers, and take the open 3's - it will still be important to feed that ball down low to Rokas and for the others to drive to the hoop - let's get them in foul trouble early before they do the same - couple of their guys sitting on the bench for a lot of minutes would change this game significantly

score? ppfff, tough, but I'd guess both score over 75/80
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If there has to be 30 minutes between games, Hofstra will start after 3:30, and with Ohio leading by 2 they could go to overtime.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Anyone who can't watch on tv, here's FSU's radio stream of the game.
http://tunein.com/radio/MBB-Hofstra-Pri ... 5-p806861/
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra's up 27-20 with 5 minutes left in the first half. Andre Walker is getting playing time and had a big block!
Also, the official paradise jam youtube stream only works out of the country, but I got it to work by using a proxy. This link will not work, it has to be pasted into a proxy server.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76221a41vdw
Wags

Post by Wags »

HU up 41-35 at the half on the back of Bernardi's 3s... he's 5-6 from behind the arc, 7-8 overall, and has almost half (19) of HU's pts.

FSU: 0-10 from 3.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:HU up 41-35 at the half on the back of Bernardi's 3s... he's 5-6 from behind the arc, 7-8 overall, and has almost half (19) of HU's pts.

FSU: 0-10 from 3.
Bernardi hits his first 3 of the 2nd half as well. He now has half of HU's 44 pts. Gustys the next closest with 8; no one else with more than 5. HU up 7. Largest lead was 8 late in the opening half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Considering HU hasn't made a FT over the first 34+ minutes (on just two attempts), up 53-45 with 14:17 against a team like FSU is a nice place to be right now.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Now we're 0-4 on free throws, and Gustys has 4 fouls.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:Now we're 0-4 on free throws, and Gustys has 4 fouls.
Nichols has 4 too now, with still 11:57 left, and only clinging to a 3-pt lead. If HU can win a game in that situation, against a team like FSU, that would be impressive.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:Now we're 0-4 on free throws, and Gustys has 4 fouls.
Koon finally makes HU's first FTs 28:26 into the game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Koon finally hits 2 FTs, and Beasley answers for FSU with 2 points. We have no answer for him in this half.

Nichols fouled out.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Starting to get to the line down the stretch now. After going 0-for-4 from there over the first ~28 minutes, HU now 8-8 at the stripe since. That is just finding a way to win

Up 68-63, with under 6 left. Gonna be real tough to hold FSU off.

Hope this doesn't end up like USF last year, when HU had it most of the way only to get edged out. Would be ironic, considering the "FSU/USF" if HU reversed that and did the edging out on the Florida team this time.