Basketball tickets - Hofstra vs Stony Brook

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Basketball tickets - Hofstra vs Stony Brook

Post by Cards »

I mentioned on one of the threads that a single game HU vs SBU MBB tickets were not being offered by SBU (you could only get them in a 3 game package). Someone mentioned that HU may get a block of tickets for the game. Well, I just called the HU ticket office and they did say that they were just informed that they were going to be getting tickets. They don't know how many, but details will be forthcoming. Of course, seasons ticket holders will get preference. I left my name and number with HU tix office and they will call me when the tickets are formally available.
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Basketball tickets - Hofstra vs Stony Brook

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Thanks for the update, I was meaning to ask the ticket office yesterday!! Strange SBU will not give individual tickets for the game, perhaps there is a possibility for a sellout, wanted to get them in advance just in case.
Cards

Post by Cards »

tickets are in. Just reserved mine. Limited number of tix available. Seasons tix holders will get preference. Call Taylor at HU tix office (516) 463-8499. I told Taylor that I would be posting this info on the board.....she is expecting some calls from you guys.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

If Hofstra happens to run out of their allotment of tickets, they are now available individually through Stony Brook without having to buy the 3 game package.
http://www.stonybrookathletics.com/tick ... b-tix.html
garyg

Post by garyg »

If the Pride show up and play like they did against Indiana St or play like yesterday look for them to suffer a double digit defeat...they must show up with their A game to have any chance of winning
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

it is really humorous how highly many of you think of sbu. they are good. but they are our equal. cause we are also good.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jamal Warney is a matchup nightmare for Hofstra. That is why so many of us are worried.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

You don't think Juan'ya is a matchup nightmare for them? Or Ameen? Or brian?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If its just a numbers game we should blow them out by 30 but its not. One thing Pikells team does is play DEFENSE. Now they can score more than 70 points a game. Unless we are spot on this game could be a nightmare for us. Warney could go off for 30 points and 20 boards. Do I expect us to win, Yes but dont sell them short. They just beat Princeton who was undefeated by 14 points. Its at their place so I expect a battle.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

pridehoops2015 wrote:it is really humorous how highly many of you think of sbu. they are good. but they are our equal. cause we are also good.
Agreed... But are they even our equal? They have 1 very good player, who will probably get his 25 and 15 against us because letting the opponents best player have his way is what we do. But what exactly is the concern here? That SBU will somehow become a better program than HU one day? This matchup will not be tougher than playing at W&M or Northeastern. Can SBU win this game? Sure. They probably marked this game on their calendar as soon as it was scheduled. But if we both played our "A" games, we should win.

I'm going to try to get to this game if I can.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

Who said I was selling them short? I just don't think they are Kentucky like the rest of you.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I agreed with you. I was just taking things a step further for those who think SBU is some unbeatable opponent.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:Jamal Warney is a matchup nightmare for Hofstra. That is why so many of us are worried.
Stu, I think Rokas will play very well against him. It would be nice if Walker could give us 10-15 quality minutes and a couple of fouls against Warney.

I think this game will be a war with Hofstra winning in the end as we have the best player on the floor who can control the game in Green.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Good point about Walker Husid80. It will be tough for Rokus to stay out of foul trouble with the physical game that Warney plays. Having AW covering Warney for some of the time he is on the floor would help quite a bit. Rokus needs to be on the floor late in the second half with no more than 3 fouls - cause you know if the game is close, they will be going to Warney inside.

Actually, if our guards are shooting well, we can forego any offense from Rokus and simply let AW and Rokas play as tough "D" as they can on Warney. Maybe mixing up the "D" from a pounder like Rokus to a taller guy like Walker might keep Warney off his game. It might even allow Rokus to remain on the floor and provide some offense while Warney is on the bench.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.......but what da heck!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Stony Brook may not be Kentucky but they are a very good team...they outplayed us last year at home and we won game on last second shot by Nesmith who is no longer with us...they have all their players back from last year and added a couple more...they are deep and experienced and have a double double machine at center...what I am saying is Hofstra can win but they MUST bring their A game....NOT an effort [or lack of effort I should say] like against Indiana St...look for Rokas to get in foul trouble and JAM not going to Walker...potentially a long night for Pride
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Geez, should Hofstra even bother showing up?
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

Dooku25 wrote:Geez, should Hofstra even bother showing up?
sounds like sbu's starting lineup is kevin durant, stephen curry, porzingis, warney and purifoy.

we have no shot. so sad. they are so good. national champions pretty much.
Polito

Post by Polito »

for goodness sake guys, we know who Warney and SBU are - we played this same group last yr if you may recall

agree fully with ph15 (or more likely he/she agrees with me :P do you like me more yet?) - no one is discounting them at all, SBU is a strong mid right now, they will give HU a passionate fight for sure - they have scoring options, and can play good D, esp in the post - if they finally win the AE this yr it helps HU's SOS and makes for a great real rivalry

For every question about HU's ability to handle their strengths, the opposite can be countered - for example, how will they handle the high octane O that produces multiple players in double figs and a few legit double-double threats?? How will they handle Bernardi's elevated play, and increased scoring game? How will they handle Green and his masterful orchestration of the powerful HU scoring machine? There are a number of challenges for SBU, just like with HU to them

HU is starting 3 5th yr Sr's and a 4th yr Jr all alongside Gustys, who HU did not have last yr - this is an extra seasoned group, as noted by the LaSalle coach - and let's clarify, SBU did NOT outplay HU last year, they matched them - if they outplayed them they would have the W - HU did just enough more to win

And I don't think SBU has much production in depth, similar to HU - actually I think they may have a body or 2 more to play, but actual production I think HU's bench guys make a bigger impact - they have 3 main production guys, Warney, Purifoy, and either McGrew or Walker depending which the hot hand that game

Warney is going to get his, let's all get comfortable with that - he's an NBA talent - the key to me with HU's strengths is to shut down their other 2-3 options - my guess is this will call on Nichols and Koon heavily to D up McGrew effectively, and Bernardi/Green for Purifoy - then if Warney wants to trade 2's for HU's 3's all day, I'll take it and the W

Get Bernardi the ball early and often to open up the O, set the tone, and take the home crowd out - if they over focus on him, then let your Sr studs make 'em pay - I'm quite interested to see Gustys in this tough matchup - post play will be big, rebounding of course (think we'll need Koon, Nichols, or Tanksley to play big), and of course there is Green's ability to take over the game when it matters most

Should be a battle - MAKE IT RAIN HU!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

See how good SBU is for yourself. The Seawolves play Notre Dame on ESPNU tonight at 9 ET.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

This is a game I expect us to win, but those underestimating Stony Brook do so at their peril. This team is really dangerous, they have a veteran squad and Warney abused Rokas and Walker in the post last year--I don't see that changing. As Polito said, Warney is going to get his. Fun fact: we actually outscored SBU 44-32 in the paint in last year's game. I recall Juan'ya was posting up and exploiting a size mismatch with their guards. Puriefoy didn't do much last year and Dion was a beast for us. However, I think Bernardi will give them fits and is a bad matchup for them. If they go big they won't be able to answer our passing and open looks. Basically if Ameen and Bernardi hit from deep I see us narrowly pulling this one out.