MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
Cards wrote:So if he sits out, our front line this season will be Taylor and Schutte, along with Truehart, Radovic, and Hughes.

So experience wise, we have Taylor with 3 years (minimal minutes)
Truehart with 1 year
Radovic with 1 year
Schutte with 0 years
Hughes with 0 years

Looks like a pretty green and inexperienced group to me. I'm not knocking them, it could work out to be fine, but simply from an experience standpoint, its a pretty thin front line.

I still think we could use another big - even if only for a year.
In all fairness, Schutte and Truehart spent another year in the program as red shirts which should help them.
I completely agree HUSID. The time redshirting can only help to prepare them (as I think it did with ST). That being said, there is no substitute for game playing time. KS will not be "green" like Radovic was, or I assume Hughes will be, but not seasoned with a year of playing time either.

If Schutte has bulked up a bit and can focus on getting boards and playing D, he will be fine backing up Taylor. I'm not really concerned about his scoring, because if he plays hard, he'll get a few put backs and maybe a pick and roll while on the court. As far as his "overall" offense, it will be important that he learns to compliment the other guys working picks, passing in and out, etc. I think Rok was underatted in that regard and it might take time for the others to effectively fill that role.

I 'm less concerned about Hughes. I think anything he contributes this year is icing on the cake. ST and MR should be getting most of those minutes anyway. If Hughes surprises with solid minutes, well, its a bonus we will happily take.
A lot of food for thought here but the one thing that I wonder about is the role of MR?? He only got 10 minutes a game last year and saw his minutes diminish once ST started and proved that he could help this team in a lot of ways. I don't see him getting more minutes rather less minutes. Coburn will be getting minutes at the 2/3 and I see MR as a kid that looks to shoot the three predominantly. If he comes in and misses his first shots he winds up getting pulled. I think his upside is on the defensive side of the ball where his size can cause problems for a SG. This team seems to be set with the starting team returning from last year without ROK. Taylor slides into the 4/5 and that completes the starting 5. If Taylor stays healthy the minutes to be had will be mostly coming in for ST but as stated before we're probably looking at a 4 guard offense depending on how we match up with the team we're playing. It could be that now with Hughes size he will pick up some of those minutes.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

My prediction is whomever plays well will get minutes...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:My prediction is whomever plays well will get minutes...

That's a no brainer statement joe but what do u think MR role with this team is?? He shot 28% from the floor and 29% from beyond the arc. His shooting clearly needs to improve big time.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If he improves he will play, assuming he improves to a level where he is better than others.

If he does not improve, he will not play if others are better than him. If others are worse than him he will play, even if he does not improve, however.

If he stays the same, it depends if others are better or worse than him.

So its up to him and all the others

HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Let’s also remember he was a true freshman. I am sure he will be better this coming season.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Here's a name we have not heard recently - Adonis Delarosa C, 7 footer 280 lbs. Formerly of Christ the King HS. Just announced he is transferring from Kent State. He has one year left to play and is immediately eligible (grad transfer). Last year played 25 min per game averaged 11.8 pts with 7.6 rebs. 56% from the floor with 78% from the line.

If we ever wanted to be sure we had enough back-up at the 5 spot, this might be a good one-and-done pickup.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Would think he would want to go "up" (better program) with those respectable numbers - unless of course he wants to play closer to home - and Speedy is from CTK
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Very important asterisk here--

"In the final minute of Kent's last game of the 2017-2018 season, a 78-61 MAC Tournament loss to Buffalo, he suffered a knee injury and had ACL surgery at the end of March. Recovery time from ACL surgery is traditionally eight months to a year, which in a best case scenario would make DeLaRosa available for practice at some point in November and cleared to play by Jan. 1. But, more likely, it could be December or January for practice, and then later being cleared to play. Clearly, DeLaRosa is gambling on himself to be ready for the bulk of the season, and any university he transfers to would be gambling a scholarship as well."

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/colleg ... lar_1.html

This could actually really play in our favor-- this is that type of recruit we use that last scholly on for a big gamble... Would be ready for CAA play.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Was not aware of the injury HU87 - good catch. Feel bad for him, going thru the effort of losing 100 lbs, getting in shape, and to have it all go sideways in the last few minutes of a season.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HU87 wrote:Very important asterisk here--

"In the final minute of Kent's last game of the 2017-2018 season, a 78-61 MAC Tournament loss to Buffalo, he suffered a knee injury and had ACL surgery at the end of March. Recovery time from ACL surgery is traditionally eight months to a year, which in a best case scenario would make DeLaRosa available for practice at some point in November and cleared to play by Jan. 1. But, more likely, it could be December or January for practice, and then later being cleared to play. Clearly, DeLaRosa is gambling on himself to be ready for the bulk of the season, and any university he transfers to would be gambling a scholarship as well."

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/colleg ... lar_1.html

This could actually really play in our favor-- this is that type of recruit we use that last scholly on for a big gamble... Would be ready for CAA play.
I doubt a guy his size would be available after that injury until the last few weeks of the season in a best case scenario - any small setback and it's a complete waste.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to VC, Boubacar Diakite transferred from St. John's to Iona.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I believe we already have a commitment from another back up type big guy, so by my count we are at a full 13 scholarships.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

HUSID74, Do you think that might have prevented the recruitment of Boubacar Diakite, or was there another possible reason.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:HUSID74, Do you think that might have prevented the recruitment of Boubacar Diakite, or was there another possible reason.
Shadow, could not tell you as I have not heard his name mentioned.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

HUSID74, Thanks for the information. Let's all hope this works out for Coach Joe and the team for 2018-19. I will be looking forward for the player announcement. By the way, HUSID74, do you have any schedule news you can tell us all?
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:I believe we already have a commitment from another back up type big guy, so by my count we are at a full 13 scholarships.
Who ??????
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I must be living under a rock missing all these goings on. I was hoping we had a shot at Diakite but Iona has certainly been to the dance more then us and that speaks volumes. I know that DeLaRosa was recruited by us and numerous other schools. Losing 100 lbs. quite remarkable and no easy feat considering a lot of us struggle to lose just 10 lbs. So SID good info. on a new addition to our roster. I assume we're talking about a kid who's eligible immediately? This is the insurance policy we need backing up Taylor and makes perfect sense. So do we look at this as an indictment on KS ability to back up Taylor or is it trying not to get in a desperate situation if Taylor gets re-injured?
Last edited by triplec2195 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The latter
Cards

Post by Cards »

I hope its Stockman from Minnesota. he's got 1 year left and I think he has just made a commitment but it has not been officially announced.

I have no inside info - I am taking a wild arse guess.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:I hope its Stockman from Minnesota. he's got 1 year left and I think he has just made a commitment but it has not been officially announced.

I have no inside info - I am taking a wild arse guess.
Yeah Cards from your lips to God's ears. I'll sign up for this kid!!