Hofstra Golf

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Hofstra Golf

Post by stuball888 »

Hate to bring this up but Hofstra needs to drop golf Its already beyond embarrassing. Since being in the CAA we have always come in last at the CAA tournament.
This year we were +160 for the women while 6th place W&M was =87. W&M was closer to 1st place than were were to 6th place. Looks like we were playing on the different course than the other teams. I am not bashing on these student athletes but more the administration for allowing this to continue. Either invest for the team to play in warm weather early so they can be competitive or just drop these programs. having three rounds of golf is not enough to prepare a team for the season.Even the CAA commented on how few rounds Hofstra has played this year.
A while back I think the BIG east gave Temple an ultimatum to get better or they would be dropped by the Big East in football.
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Hofstra Golf

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Why do you think we have golf? It's to help the CAA maintain minimum requirements to have a conference affiliation with the sport. Probably Title IX implications as well.

The sport needs a wealthy donor to invest money to make it an attractive place to play. It will be hard to get people to play for the golf team and foot the tuition without some type of incentive in terms of facilities and access to quality courses, which there are an abundance of on Long Island.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Title IX not an issue since we have both men and women teams Its about geography we just dont have a warm early spring like the southern teams have Also you only need 6 teams to have golf as a conference The CAA has 7 teams Did the CAA add associate members to wrestling no they dropped the sport as a conference sport and we had to go to another conference
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Stu is just pushing his Hofstra rifle agenda ;)

More seriously, I feel about golf like I do track -- track was also kind of slogging along and Coach Giambanco has done a good job of at least making the program respectable. It's not LI is lacking in golf access or talent, even if the weather isn't ideal, and it seems reasonable to be at least decent.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

My problem isnt the sport but we have been in the CAA about 20 years and have finished last every time Not only laxt but embarrassing so far behind that scores make you think its college teams playing against a high school team Our golfers are shooting in the high 80s while the competition is in the low to mid 70s it’s almost a stroke a hole Drexel dropped baseball a while back because they were non competitive in CAA Time for Hofstra to do the same
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:My problem isnt the sport but we have been in the CAA about 20 years and have finished last every time Not only laxt but embarrassing so far behind that scores make you think its college teams playing against a high school team Our golfers are shooting in the high 80s while the competition is in the low to mid 70s it’s almost a stroke a hole Drexel dropped baseball a while back because they were non competitive in CAA Time for Hofstra to do the same
Keep in mind that the golfers get very little scholarship money so many pay their own tuition. Given that many of them would not come to Hofstra without golf you could argue this is a revenue generator for us since golf not a super expensive sport to maintain.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Why don’t Flying Dutchmen Fans put in some money to offer a golf grant in aid..would be cool to cheer a golfer on!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I keep hearing how Hofstra has all this money and its not the 1990s anymore So maybe after this pandemic us over they could spend some of that 600 mil and send our golfers to Florida in January and February and give them some time to prepare for the tournament
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Hofstra has limited resources. The people responsible for allocating them on the whole have made sound choices. Over the years, golf, tennis and CC have received very little support and our teams have been embarrassingly bad. Currently we have people doing terrific jobs making our CC and tennis programs far more competitive with limited resources. Success is fragile given the nominal support and all are handicapped by our northern weather but golf the most. It is a prime candidate for the chopping block
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:I keep hearing how Hofstra has all this money and its not the 1990s anymore So maybe after this pandemic us over they could spend some of that 600 mil and send our golfers to Florida in January and February and give them some time to prepare for the tournament
There are restrictions with how you utilize endowments and drawing on it for operations would not be wise. The latest feature on Rabinowitz says endowment is now above $700 million, which is huge difference from the $90 million it was at when he entered office https://magazine.hofstra.edu/magazine/a ... -of-pride/
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

They're not drawing down the endowment, per se, like a home equity loan. However income off it funds all kinds of endowed expenses, like professorships and certain scholarships and research centers. And general fund money therefore gets freed up for things like athletics. The best thing about growing the endowment is it compounds on itself. Rabinowitz had the foresight to recognize this.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Understood but what are we talking about moneywise adding 25 to 50k to the budget I would live to know what the other schools budgets are for golf compared to ours
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So of course this will be my last post about golf this season which Im sure you all are happy about The good news is we brike 1,000 for the tournament the bad news is we came in last as usual over 80 strokes behind the 7th place team and over 150 strokes behind the winner CofC I will pick this up again the the fall with my annual rant for Hofstra dropping golf as a sport
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I just looked at the stats, and you're right, Stu they are not good. One guy is about a 2 handicap and can play a little. I doubt the others are sub-7 handicap. Let's put it this way- I the could make the team. Obviously winning is not a priority. I find it hard to believe they couldn't field a better team just having open tryouts.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Rather play golf than have a rifle team.

Why doesn’t this forum step up to the plate and donate some money to the program?

Plenty of good golfers around LI, with some money we might get a decent kid.

Look what happened to our track program with one great athlete.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID80 wrote: Rather play golf than have a rifle team.
I agree, but would you rather have Golf or Swimming & Diving?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:
HUSID80 wrote: Rather play golf than have a rifle team.
I agree, but would you rather have Golf or Swimming & Diving?
Swimming & Diving, but a lot of expenses involved with bigger program despite us having a pool plus we would love a lot of revenue from losing out rentals so there is also that to consider.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fund the program? From fan pockets?? For HU Golf??? No thanks.

Not one single dollar above what is absolutely required should be taken away from Mens Basketball and Mens Lacrosse. Absurd to do otherwise. Feed your horses. That is how athletics is done. Need to take a look at how others do this. They power their cash cows, and little else, while letting the cow support the rest, not they themselves.

HU has plenty of money. Limited resources my rear end lol. They just run things like a bush league department too often and don't prioritize certain things. They can fuel whatever they choose to. Saved millions from football supposedly - how much of that was redirected to the primary sports? My bet is ZIP. All about the med program, and I get that, but that was majorly supported via the Northwell partnership, so you HAVE To pump some of that $ into your flagship programs. HU needs better strategic decision-making in athletics. Love what they've done in other areas, esp of course endowment, but sports has fallen off a cliff. And it blows. This fanbase getting giddy about lax just making the CONF tournament is all I need to see... it's gotten a bit embarrassing in HU athletics nowadays.

I do not care one iota about HU Golf. Or Tennis. Or spending time money and resources on any other secondary sport. HU should field the minimum and focus it's forces and firepower. I care about the mens hoops and lax teams making the NCAAT. And if they want to be smart business folks and lead a successful business, which is exactly what college athletics is, they will too.