MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:No Verbal Commits says our talent overall is rated the highest, 2.4XXXX vs the next is Charleston with 2.3xxxx is believe.

Actual updated Verbal Commits overall talent rankings are as follows:

1. Hofstra 2.409
2. Northeastern 2.394
3. Charleston 2.273
It will be interesting to see where specifically this years class [so far Ray, Wormsley, and Angus] is rated compared with other CAA programs ??
Cards

Post by Cards »

Sometimes the player ratings get revised as final signings are all in. It will be interesting to see of JR gets a higher rating since we have all been hearing that the kid is one of the best coming out of Virginia.

Then again, Green, Jenkins, JWF, Thornton (W&M), were all rated as "2", which is the lowest rating that any D1 player gets!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

You're right Cards and often times when a higher ranked player signs with a Mid their rankings go down, pretty subjective stuff.
garyg

Post by garyg »

How many people on this board feel the addition of Ray, Wormsley, Angus, and Trueheart [and Buie to some extent but he is coming off serious surgery] is enough to put Hofstra in serious CAA contention ???? Do not forget that we lose Bernardi and Powers which is about 25 PPG
Cards

Post by Cards »

That sure is the question of the day, Gary. Here's my opinion:

The combo of ST and JA will be a significant upgrade in the 4 spot compared to last year. Not only will they likely score more points, but they should get more boards and play "bigger'" defense than what we had. Do they comprise an impact 4 - probably not, but between the two of them I'm expecting/hoping one of them to really emerge as a key player.

I think the above mentioned upgrade will take much of the pressure off RG and HS to get all the rebounds, and put points on the board, and be the inside stopper on defense. I look for RG to get back to his previous season totals and put last year in the rear view mirror. We also taking two guys off the floor (BB and DP) who could not feed RG with a spoon if he was sitting in a baby's high chair. DB can feed RK and will. JWF showed in the second half last season that he actually is a very good passer into the lane. I assume/hope that KW can also get the job done. So, like at the 4 spot, I expect improvement at the 5 spot also.

JWF and EP are set at the 2 and 3. Another years experience will help them both. I don't expect EP to make some of the rookie mistakes he made last season - I see him playing with confidence. JWF should be a lock for 20 ppg and also draw much of the defenses attention, opening up the floor for others to capitalize.

Last year, DP had his good scoring games. I don't expect DB to match his points output. I do however expect the combo of DB and KW to exceed DB in dishing and just as importantly in playing defense.

All in all, We should be markedly better than last year. With the gutting of UNCW, I definitely see us in the top 4.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

And, you never know, there are still players out there to be had and to upgrade.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:And, you never know, there are still players out there to be had and to upgrade.
So with the one scholarship we have remaining at this point you think they may use on player that would be eligible next season as you note upgrade above...???
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:And, you never know, there are still players out there to be had and to upgrade.
So with the one scholarship we have remaining at this point you think they may use on player that would be eligible next season as you note upgrade above...???
I can't see adding another player who is immediately eligible, unless we pick up an absolute stud,. Especially if the Stud is around for multiple years.

HUSID80 - your comment sounds can only make me think that there may be something in the works that you cannot speak of. Is that possible???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hate to sound so cryptic but right now anything is still possible
Scooter10

Post by Scooter10 »

A little birdie told me that they did sign a 6'7 4 man from Montverde on the last day of the signing period (May 17th). A Serbian kid named Matija Radovic. Signed an older and younger 4 man.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Scooter10 wrote:A little birdie told me that they did sign a 6'7 4 man from Montverde on the last day of the signing period (May 17th). A Serbian kid named Matija Radovic. Signed an older and younger 4 man.
Welcome to the board Scooter10.
Here is some video of Radovic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_JbudaPLu0

that makes 13 scholarships by my count
G - jwf buie pemberton ray wormley
F - robinson trueheart sabety gustys angus radovic greer walker
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Wow, he never misses. LOL
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like Radovic played the junior team that's part of the same team Charles Jenkins plays for in Serbia. Perhaps they've been talking?
HU87

Post by HU87 »

A bit more insight on Radovic-- Appears he played for the Monteverde CBD team, which looks like a "junior" developmental level, playing similar type programs at other national powerhouses (IMG, Oak Hill, etc.). I don't know much about this level of competition or if it's prestigious or not-- would be interested if anyone has more insight there.

As far as the highlights, they look like a good fit for what we need. Definitely has a Koon like feel to him and appears to have some athleticism as well. Appears to be more of a 6'6'' SF, more so than a stretch 4, but that remains to be seen.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Well, well, well. We go from having one undersized 4 (Greer) to having 3 appropriately sized 4s (ST, JA, and Radovic). Quite a change from last year. I guess by choice or by having it made plainly clear, JM did get the message that we played too small last year (and throw in the addition of 6'4" PG KW).

I really like this kid Radovic. There is more video around to look at. Based on those videos alone (and that is dangerous to do) I am very high on this pickup. A 6'7" guy who already has size (meaning he is not a stick that needs to now put on 25 pounds), can clearly shoot the 3, has inside moves, goes strongly to the hoop, plays with his head up watching the whole court, can pass, and can dribble..... the kid brings lots to the table. I can only guess that coming from Serbia he was not really recruited in the US - because by every measure, if he was a HS senior in the US, this kid would be a 3 or 4 star recruit. Gents, I think we got a steal here :P

I think TG has trouble seeing the floor next year, and JR gets a few minutes at the 3 when EP takes a breather. Our three headed 4 spot (ST, JA, and Rad) for this year is set. My gut tells me that we should have about the same expectations for Rad that we had for EP as a freshman (but he will likely get less playing time).

In Rad, I think we picked up a guy who could, in time, be an all CAA type guy (maybe not 1st team, but a real player).

So next year (2019) we will need to get a new 5. That being said, that new 5 will be playing with a solid group of experienced players (JWF, EP, DB, ST, Rad, KW). Things are looking up :D
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Glad to see that all of you guys are now happy....not to say I said so...but this staff pulled together quite a good looking class...that I believe has addressed our short-comings from last year...I think this year's team will be bigger and better defensively...along with our usual scoring ability...a top four team IMO
Cards

Post by Cards »

I am more of a "glass half full" kinda guy, so I am optimistic. That being said, I am also realistic. ST, Rad, JR have yet to play a college game, DB is coming off injury, do KW and JA fit in well? There are still unanswered questions. Signing our last two 4s at the last minute is not the best way to put together the team. Then again, when in life do things ever go completely as planned. Looks like JM had to dig deep to get that rabbit out of the bottom of the hat!
Captain

Post by Captain »

The kid looks like a player. Are we sure that Radovic will not redshirt? Will the roster remain the same...nobody exiting? If everybody is staying, we may be looking at a redshirt year for Radovic.
We will lose a ton of upperclassmen in 2018. We will need freshmen, grad transfers and/or jucos to come for the 2018-2019 season. (I don't think all graduating players will be replaced by freshmen). We shall see.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Don't have a problem with Radivic red shirting this year. We have a front line to replace in 2018. My concern this year is DBcoming off surgery and how Wormley reacts to playing in the CAA
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Radivic is not redshirting