MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HU87

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by HU87 »

Can you give any hints on who's transferring out HUSID?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I'm guessing Walker. He has hardly played at all.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If it opens up another scholarship and we get what we need that would be great
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

He would have only 1 year left. Could it be Ty Greer. Looks like he was in Joes doghouse the latter part of last year
Captain

Post by Captain »

One other possibility could be Jamal Robinson...he may have graduated by now and want more playing time elsewhere like Jordan Allen did.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

My guess would be Greer or Robinson.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Well scratch off any chance of Govan transferring to Hofstra. Georgetown just hired Patrick Ewing as their coach
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

DCDUTCH wrote:My guess would be Greer or Robinson.
It's a shame there are so many possibilities.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

If someone was to transfer - my guess would be (in order) :
RONBINSON - goes some place else and immediately plays
GREER - not the right guy for this system
WALKER - don't know, always thought he'd left already - but at this point where does he go - he'd have to sit a year to play one year someplace else
but what do I know
HU87

Post by HU87 »

I hope Greer doesn't transfer! This board is a bit over the top when it comes to the Greer bashing. TG is a 6'7" stretch 4 who can run the floor. Yes, he had a subpar first season with the team and found himself in the doghouse-- but that's the canvas for the type of player we want and it's sitting on our roster.

One would hope we'd focus a ton of effort on further developing him to be an impact starter next year, and not a transfer. There's still a lot of possibility there with an offseason of hard work and assimilation.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agee HU87, think Greer can be a serviceable player for us next year now that he has a year under his belt in our system and understands what it takes to compete in the CAA. He needs to be more focused and physical versus last year.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Hofstra is the best place for Greer and Robinson to receive playing time; they just need to prove they can compete in the CAA. If they do that they will get all the playing time they want. They just didn't do that last season. If they transferred it would have to be a lower league.
Polito

Post by Polito »

goodness gracious...

Greer was horrific. HORRIFIC. An absolute liability on the floor. He is in over his head, completely lost, and would be wise to go down a level. Wake up guys. You want to win a brutal conf like the CAA, get to the dance, make national noise, win at a high level??? Then we need to stop this mediocrity. We need production.

Sorry, love the young man as a person, glad HU gave him a real chance, but it did not work out. Juco is about immediate impact, not development. If that isn't accomplished, then it's a big thank you for the heart and effort, but it's time to move on.

That said, I don't think it's him, and imagine it will be someone who has graduated already, and can go somewhere else and be immediately eligible. That would likely be either Walker or Robinson.

Any of the 3 are fine by me. We need major talent upgrade at the 4 in the worst way.

I think some of you are getting confused in terms of what is needed here. HU doesn't just need bodies. They don't just need guys who 'fit a body type mold for a position'. HU needs T A L E N T at the position. I don't care if HU 'fills spots'. I care about them filling positions with TOP ability. IMPACT players who make a difference. Guys who will lead HU to the NCAAT.

I see way too much contentment with simply landing 'a basketball player'. Hey, HU just landed Joe Blow from xyz, he plays the game of basketball, awesome!! :P C'mon guys. Finding a guy who is 6'7 220 is only half the deal. The other half is LEVEL OF PLAY.

It's not just the coaching staff who is on the hook to produce ROI. Raise the standards folks... it's time to expect more. Unless you guys are all cool with another 20 years of mediocrity...or worse.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I don't think Greer played that poorly - he did regress a bit and then was played out of position when Gustys was hurt.
Also he's not 6'7 220 - listed at 6'6" 210 and that might be a stretch - so he's a bit undersized for the position. He shot 33% from three - did have trouble finishing inside and would have avg over 8 rebounds per 36 mins.
The problem lies with the coaching staff - there is NO ONE dynamic enough to entice quality outside metro area. Don't get your hopes up about landing anything special - why would anyone want to come here ? Too many reasons not to - don't have energy or time to go into them.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Not to knock Greer too much, but he had a bad year on the court. I do not blame the staff at all for cutting his minutes. There's a point in the season where it either clicks or it doesn't. It happened to Koon in '16, it clicked for him in conference play. It didn't happen for Greer. C'est la vie, but the coaches need to bring someone in who can play the 3 instead. It may click for Greer next year, but we still need people because we have 5 seniors next season.

Come to Hofstra for playing time, especially if you're a JUCO or Grad Transfer. That's the selling point. I think we messed up by only getting one early commit, we have to outwork our competition for the recruits we need to get over the top, you need to be on these guys for years. While I do think our staff works hard, I think we may have too many coals in the fire, we were a little late to the game with some of our targets, maybe we lock up a Goldwire if we get that offer out in July instead of January.

Any new recruiting I'm missing? Usually I'm able to go into the rabbit hole and dig up some new info, but I don't see much out there.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ZMAN3 wrote:I don't think Greer played that poorly - he did regress a bit and then was played out of position when Gustys was hurt.
Also he's not 6'7 220 - listed at 6'6" 210 and that might be a stretch - so he's a bit undersized for the position. He shot 33% from three - did have trouble finishing inside and would have avg over 8 rebounds per 36 mins.
The problem lies with the coaching staff - there is NO ONE dynamic enough to entice quality outside metro area. Don't get your hopes up about landing anything special - why would anyone want to come here ? Too many reasons not to - don't have energy or time to go into them.
If you can't think of, and don't have the energy to get into it, about why come to Hofstra then why the "H" are you on these boards???? Can't think of any reason to come to Hofstra? You've got to be kidding me....and, I won't even go through the myriad reasons why someone should come and play here because they are so obvious...Kind of sad that someone "interested enough" to post on these boards feels this way.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

HU Sid-Sorry I don't wave the HU pom poms you do - There is no passion in the stands, no student interest, JM is a frumpy old man who screams at the officials, the coaching staff has no dynamic recruiters, there is no history of winning (making the tourney), the area couldn't care less, the CAA has no buzz, there is no FB, the administration couldn't care less. That's a few - and leave the personal attacks to yourself - you don't know everything and you certainly don't see everything objectively. And I don't post on this board much because of people like you - as a number of others don't either - and I've been going to HU basketball since 65' so I've seen it all.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

ZMAN3 Unfortunately I tend to agree with you but as long time alumni and dutch fans we keep hoping. There are many reasons why kids should cone here-quality of school, relative proximity to NYC and beaches, great facilities (arena and practice facility) etc. etc. Unfortunately many other schools have their assets as well. Let[s see what next year brings.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ZMAN3 wrote:HU Sid-Sorry I don't wave the HU pom poms you do - There is no passion in the stands, no student interest, JM is a frumpy old man who screams at the officials, the coaching staff has no dynamic recruiters, there is no history of winning (making the tourney), the area couldn't care less, the CAA has no buzz, there is no FB, the administration couldn't care less. That's a few - and leave the personal attacks to yourself - you don't know everything and you certainly don't see everything objectively. And I don't post on this board much because of people like you - as a number of others don't either - and I've been going to HU basketball since 65' so I've seen it all.
Speaking of "personal" attacks, the "frumpy old man" has taken teams to several NCAA's and NITS at a school that had no business being there...and as for recruiting, this "Pom Pom" waver sees kids more highly recruited and of better character than we have had in a long time...and if you think I'm not being objective check out Verbal Commits and check the ratings of Hofstra's players. And as for the coaching staff, check out their ratings too, ask some of the kids on the team about the staff...don't just shoot from the hip criticizing a program that you really know nothing about. Oh, and by the way, this "Pom Pom" waver has been in the business, professional and college for more than 40 years...so I bring a little more knowledge to the table than you think...oh and why bother showing up for the games???
budman

Post by budman »

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Last edited by budman on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.