MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:Radivic is not redshirting
Does anyone know who we were competing with for this kid ??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Zak Braziller of the Post ranks our recruiting a B minus in this story:
http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/seton-hall ... the-least/
But he did not have Radivic listed
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:Zak Braziller of the Post ranks our recruiting a B minus in this story:
http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/seton-hall ... the-least/
But he did not have Radivic listed
He did not have Ray listed either
HU87

Post by HU87 »

We should probably temper expectations a bit on Radovic... as I mentioned, he played for Montverde's junior development team. He also had no other scholarship offers (http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/matija-radovic) and appears to be closer to 6'5''/6'5'' than 6'7''/6'8''. I hope he's another JM patented diamond in the rough, but I think it's waaaay too early to start talking about him as a contributor next year.

I'd love to eat my words on this though...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HU87 wrote:We should probably temper expectations a bit on Radovic... as I mentioned, he played for Montverde's junior development team. He also had no other scholarship offers (http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/matija-radovic) and appears to be closer to 6'5''/6'5'' than 6'7''/6'8''. I hope he's another JM patented diamond in the rough, but I think it's waaaay too early to start talking about him as a contributor next year.

Where do you get 6-5/6-6 from? He is listed at 6-7 on his school's roster and everywhere else.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I hope he doesn't redshirt. Perhaps he really replaces Caraballo on our radar.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Verbal Commits lists him at 6'6

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/matija-radovic

HUSID80 wrote:
HU87 wrote:We should probably temper expectations a bit on Radovic... as I mentioned, he played for Montverde's junior development team. He also had no other scholarship offers (http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/matija-radovic) and appears to be closer to 6'5''/6'5'' than 6'7''/6'8''. I hope he's another JM patented diamond in the rough, but I think it's waaaay too early to start talking about him as a contributor next year.

Where do you get 6-5/6-6 from? He is listed at 6-7 on his school's roster and everywhere else.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Does anyone know ?

1] Any other offers from D-I Schools ??

2] What is this kids weight ??

3] Stat's last year in school ??
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I can't find anything about Radovic being offered by any other school. However I did notice that UNC Greensboro's Associate Head Coach follows him on twitter, so it's possible that UNCG at least showed interest.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I saw the Monteverde regular team play this year in Jersey, and was asking a guy about their B team, as they made the trip as well, but played in games that I did not go to. It seems as if their B team is not close to their A team in talent, and is a B team for a reason. I am not holding my breathe on this kid.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

As far as I can tell there is one varsity team and he played on it...he's listed on their roster, etc...
Captain

Post by Captain »

Montverde was a loaded team this year. Seton Hall signed their 6'10" center, VCU signed a 6"7" forward, and Grant Shepherd who someone on this board was raving about signed to a Canadian college. Radovic appears to have been behind these guys on the depth chart. It's a great program and I am sure the kid is perceived as a player by our staff.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Just checked and saw he did play on that team coached by Kevin Boyle. That is a nice discovery. If he wasn't on the better team, I would have been upset. RJ Barret who is their PG is going to be one of the best guards in the country this year in HS.. Rechon Black going to be a stud as well.

Also, I was the one raving about Grant Shephard Captain. I think he signed with Richmond I read.
Scooter10

Post by Scooter10 »

Radovic played for the Prep School team not the developmental team. Practiced everyday with the national ranked team. 7 Division 1 players on Prep team. They wanted him playing and not sitting behind RJ Barrett. They played St. Thomas More in NJ where he had 27. That's a prestigious prep school. Also played Our Savior Lutheran as well. They played very good comp including the Prep School Showcase in RI.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

I trust this coaching squad to see and find talent.
I do wish we were a occasionally ahead of the curve sometimes in our signings - it always seems we are last minute/late to the party when we sign players. That tact makes me feel that we are always scrambling (it might be JAM style and plan and if so I am OK with it - it is just how I feel). Also, we seem to setting ourselves up to be scrambling again or needing to pull a rabbit out of our hats next year with the drain we will be having in our front court.
It is my opinion that our front court is set for the season - Gustys, Sabety and dare I say Walker takes care of almost all of the minutes at the "5" spot and some of the minutes at the "4"; Angus, Trueheart and Greer eat up the majority of minutes at "4" and some of the "3"; Pemberton and Robinson at "3". I think we are better then OK for the 217-18 season upfront. Going into the 2018-19 we keep only Trueheart as our only guy previously mentioned that is over 6'7" - that pipeline needs to filled up.
I also think that we are good in our back court with JFW, Buie and Wormley.
Now with all this depth - does it really mean anything? Yes for injuries and/or foul trouble. But I think history tells us that it is JAM style is to play the key players until the drop - certain guys play almost every minute ( Upshaw, Nesmith, Green, Tanksly, Bernardi, Koon, Powers and Pemberton - all logged 33+ minutes) and I assume that JFW and Gustys will be added to that list this year.
Funny fact - Walker and Robinson BOTH played more minutes per game in their freshman years then they did in either of their two following seasons.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I think Angus and Radovic get the nod at the 4, don't count on Robinson and Walker for anything. I still see us getting a big who will site out this coming season and be ready to play in 18-19.
As for waiting til the end to sign kids that's definitely NOT by design. We signed Jalen Ray early last fall and Pemberton early the year before. Fact is these kids all think they are going to sign with Big Five Conferences and hold off on signing with Mids until their options run out. The game has changed an we must adopt...look at all the transfers, at last count there were nearly 650 with more to come.
Recruiting is now a 12 month a year slog...not easy.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80 wrote:I think Angus and Radovic get the nod at the 4, don't count on Robinson and Walker for anything. I still see us getting a big who will site out this coming season and be ready to play in 18-19.
As for waiting til the end to sign kids that's definitely NOT by design. We signed Jalen Ray early last fall and Pemberton early the year before. Fact is these kids all think they are going to sign with Big Five Conferences and hold off on signing with Mids until their options run out. The game has changed an we must adopt...look at all the transfers, at last count there were nearly 650 with more to come.
Recruiting is now a 12 month a year slog...not easy.
We have now used all 13 scholarships so what are we gonna use on player sitting out ?? You mention nothing about Trueheart, is he on way out ???
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Trueheart is in
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

HUSID80 wrote:Trueheart is in
Anyone know what the delay or quiet period was about and can talk about it?
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

http://www.gohofstra.com/roster.aspx?rp ... ath=mbball

Truheart had first committed to JMU . what was reason he did not play last year? I would guess grades since we could have used his talent on the court.