MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
budman

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by budman »

ZMAN3 is by far the the most knowledgeable basketball person on this board. I have disagreed with him many times but have been proven wrong time and time again. This board is much better when people like him post. Joe winning in the MAAC is not the same as winning in the CAA. The CAA has more good teams than the MAAC. The team that wins in the CAA play much better defense. JOES TEAMS play very poor defense. When Hofstra does not win Joe point's to the defensive efforts all the time. The teams that win in the CAA and the NCAA tournament play the best defense. Hofstra under Joe has been at the bottom of the CAA in defense. I have two brothers and many friends who have played college basketball and the comments I hear most when I bring them to games is the lack of effort and the team defense is terrible.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

There are several angles and elements at play here.

First, I love the fire on this board. Good or bad. Thank God people care and show some passion here. Would like to see the STUDENTS and the ADMIN show the same.

Second, I think we are seeing things boil over for a lot of us. JM and Co. have done some positive things, no doubt about it. They have guided the program to recovery post-theft, there is an air of integrity and character now, and the team can be fun to watch. They have also left a lot to be desired, especially in results and in the demeanor and public display of the HC. We are coming into year 5, and the clock is up. Put your results where your mouth is, or it's time to move on.

Third, there are many reasons FOR a player to come to HU, and for a player to NOT come to HU. It's not black and white one way or the other. HU has it's issues, but also has a lot to offer. And a lot of it comes down to individual circumstances - every player is different.

Fourth, JM's previous success at Niagara is certainly a plus, but it also does not = a pass or success at HU in the CAA. So far, he has 1 NIT. In normal terms that would be commendable here in 4 years. Unfortunately, he did that in the year when the fair expectations were the NCAAT. There was no excuse for anything less. It was dance or bust, and he busted. So that NIT sadly is dulled by that miss.

Fifth, JM's on court antics have worn out their welcome. I'm all for fighting for the players, but it's WAY over the top. Not enjoyable or appropriate. It is embarrassing quite frankly. He needs to rep this U and program right and stop the immature BS. He's not Bobby Knight. And even that eventually came to an abrupt ugly end.

Sixth, laughing about having no defense has to stop. It's not a joke, and it's definitely not funny watching this program get trounced for 90 friggin points every game against marginal opponents. Do your job, earn your pay, and fix it for goodness sake.

No ones perfect. No coach, no staff, no player, but when you are underachieving you better tighten up everything else.

He and this staff have yet to accomplish the national significance expected. Winning the CAA regular season was definitely a unique step in the right direction, but then this past season was a complete disaster. A lot can be attributed to the transition, but there is no excuse for the sh!t showing in the CAAT.

There's been a lot of offsetting occurrences under this regime - the good equaled out by the bad. That's not really what we are looking for. It's time for this staff to move the needle decidedly in the right direction. No more seesaw nonsense. They've had plenty of time to set the foundation. Now the expectation should be clear and simple, and achievement should be realized next season, end of story.

They have generally recruited very well overall, especially landing some of the quality guards and bigs, and routinely bringing 3 star talent to Hempstead and a program that hasn't had tourney shine since 2000. That's not easy to do.

But then comes this cycle, where they are getting their butts handed to them thus far because they put themselves in a last minute position. They are routinely behind the 8 ball, and there's just no reason for that.

This staff is on the hook. They are on the clock. Not a single excuse should be accepted in year 5 considering what HU returns, and all that the other top programs are losing. As a fan, this is it in my book - PRODUCE or you have reached your max and need to GO.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Given all the facets of college basketball at HU (many of which Polito has pointed out in the above post), I think his summary is correct.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I agree with Polito and that year 5 should be a measuring stick when it comes to evaluating the coaching staff but even if team has mediocre/average year 5 I do not see the administration making any changes...worst thing they did was give JAM the extension without having made the NCAA's...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone know if we are still in the running for the 6-5 kid from Upper Room...yes, I realize 4 is still the priority..
Polito

Post by Polito »

I agree with you 100% gary - that extension definitely feels premature - can't imagine they couldn't have waited a bit for that - he isn't a 35 yr old up and comer looking to jump at any other opportunity. And he is still on the hook to prove he can produce the dance in the CAA.

Osbel is who you are referencing - HU/Speedy have been recruiting/watching him and likely 2 other guards at Upper Room - not sure where it stands, but HU has had presence at UR in '17, so as of fairly recently there has been at least mutual interest.

April 12th is quickly approaching... really hope these guys pull off something big here.

I am pretty disappointed in the minimal fruit that has come from their Juco efforts at nationals, at least thus far. Really expected a couple of big time commits coming right out of that.

But I am still holding out hope, they have come through in every class before, and it's certainly not over. 4/12-5/17 is the signing period, so some great news can still be on the horizon. Every year I think I should stop following so closely, but I just can't help it!

FINGERS CROSSED
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Pat Lammer‏ @PLamRecruiting

@STA_Hoops 2017 @yungsimba31 of @TeamKnightHoops says @VMIAthletics & @HofstraMBB are coming after him the hardest. | @SSHighSchools

Michael Akuchie 2017 SF 6'7 185 out St. Thomas Aquinas in FL.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-akuchie

We competing with VMI SMH.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

DCDUTCH wrote:Pat Lammer‏ @PLamRecruiting

@STA_Hoops 2017 @yungsimba31 of @TeamKnightHoops says @VMIAthletics & @HofstraMBB are coming after him the hardest. | @SSHighSchools

Michael Akuchie 2017 SF 6'7 185 out St. Thomas Aquinas in FL.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-akuchie

We competing with VMI SMH.

Nice find.

I don't know, I like Akuchie's tape. If we can get him to redshirt and bulk up a bit, I think he would be a nice fit in the offense. Obviously it's not a good sign that only VMI is recruiting him hard, but I think there are skills that can be developed in his game. He plays like a big guard though, he's not really a forward in D-1 IMO.
garyg

Post by garyg »

We do not need redshirts at this point..we need guys that can make impact next season
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

garyg wrote:We do not need redshirts at this point..we need guys that can make impact next season
fully agree Gary-this is starting to look like another .500 season at best right now.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:We do not need redshirts at this point..we need guys that can make impact next season

Nothing wrong with always having one or two scholarships used on a redshirt player. Yes it would be great to have studs coming in and no redshirts but we need to take what we can get.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

"Immediate Impact" recruits.
Cards

Post by Cards »

His tape indicates a lot of good skills and qualities. A 6'7" guy who can handle the ball, pass the ball, shoot the mid range shot, shoot the three, and add quite a bit of length. Probably projects to be more of a 3 than a 4.

Is he an impact guy right away - I don't think so. The flip side though is a guy with these skills and length is hard to find. I say get him (for the future) and still focus on an impact 4 for next year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:His tape indicates a lot of good skills and qualities. A 6'7" guy who can handle the ball, pass the ball, shoot the mid range shot, shoot the three, and add quite a bit of length. Probably projects to be more of a 3 than a 4.

Is he an impact guy right away - I don't think so. The flip side though is a guy with these skills and length is hard to find. I say get him (for the future) and still focus on an impact 4 for next year.
Cards I believe that is what the plan is.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree with all of the sentiment on this one -

Can't ignore that VMI is his top suitor, obviously extremely unimpressive, but he does/did have strong interest from FIU, Cornell, Colgate, and maybe a couple of others. Still far from the level HU needs to win the CAA - but at least something. Avg 17 and 8 this yr.

Things I like are: his highlight video STARTS with strong passing/ball distribution (a major need here), can handle the rock very well for a big, drives the lane, above the rim finisher, seemingly hits from anywhere on the floor both catch or off dibble, can easily play the 3 or 4 (I do see him as a true stretch 4 that can really spread the D due to his range), has a ton of bounce and energy, comes from a good program, and has a rep for a strong work ethic and being a good kid

What I don't like is A) he has not excelled against top competition - really struggled in travel ball against the top teams - he is clearly a redshirt, and will require time and development. And B) this staff has yet to show they can develop a big.

If Gustys does or does not have a 1st team all-conf Sr season, then that will tell us what we have in this staff. If they can't develop the 3-5, then guys like Akuchie will be a waste.

Either way, this is a bonus get. This is not the focus. WHERE IS THE 4??? WHERE IS THE IMMEDIATE IMPACT???
garyg

Post by garyg »

Wanted an impact 4...anyone hear anything about filling this spot? HUSID80, you had hinted that someone may be transferring off our current roster...is this going to happen from what you have been hearing?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Believe me the staff knows we need a ready to play impact 4...it's everyone's priority
Captain

Post by Captain »

Sengfelder is still the ideal player for us but he is angling for a Power 5 school.Bring this guy down here and we are ready to rock and roll next year! I don't see a better option in the grad transfer category.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Every time I see a new post I expect an announcement for us landing a great recruit.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Captain wrote:Sengfelder is still the ideal player for us but he is angling for a Power 5 school.Bring this guy down here and we are ready to rock and roll next year! I don't see a better option in the grad transfer category.
Do you know if we are even recruiting this guy