MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

Time will tell if we got the better man HUSID80...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Can't argue with Tims success as a coach. Has won wherever he has gone
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Joe makes at least 630k and well worth it... he has been to the big dance several times as well as the nit... If Hofstra had the same lack of admission standards as Iona, we would be in the Big dance often
garyg

Post by garyg »

The next two seasons will be a big factor in evaluating JAM's performance as head coach at Hofstra....6 years is enough time to build and NCAA tournament program
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Agree
Polito

Post by Polito »

JM def in the 600's, and I would think that's about right for the job - I would've been happy with Cluess too, as I think most would, but also feel JM did a superb job righting the ship - and that was no easy task considering the complete disarray the program was in.

He still has not gotten the job done yet, but as Stu said, we'll see how things shake out in the near future. No issue at all with the 6 yr timeframe fair to judge the results. ESP considering the talent he's had, and does have, here. Time to make it happen.

Cluess has def won, and Iona has been a very strong mid major, no denying. It's obvious they have the ability to bring in whoever they want, and that helps. Also helps they do not need to be nearly as concerned with player backgrounds/histories as HU at this point. There is a zero tolerance right now for HU, as it needs to be, and that is also a factor.

Also have to wonder just how good a recruiter Cluess really is - right now, it is ALL Grasso, 100%. He is a stud recruiter, no question. But is Cluess? Not sure he would've brought equal talent to HU. Not sure he wouldn't either, just an interesting question that we'll never know.

For all the knocks a couple of people have on JM's recruiting around here, understand what that guy brought to Niagara before he left:

Green
Tanksley
Mason (2nd leading scorer in the NATION and went to Auburn for grad yr)
TJ Cline (who became/is Richmond's leader and best player)
Also had current JMU forward Snowden - not a stud, but a CAA player

I mean that's ridiculous talent to have at NIAGARA. Course, he had no bench there either lol, but just sayin, the dude can recruit!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

stuball888 wrote:Can't argue with Tims success as a coach. Has won wherever he has gone
I wanted him after Pecora left.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

The team will be small again next year unless we get some "Length"

PG - Buie - 6'0
SG- JWF - 6'0
Wing - Eli - 6'4
PF- Trueheart - 6'8
C- ROK - 6'9
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Bigger than this year!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

DCDUTCH wrote:The team will be small again next year unless we get some "Length"

PG - Buie - 6'0
SG- JWF - 6'0
Wing - Eli - 6'4
PF- Trueheart - 6'8
C- ROK - 6'9
It isn't always about height. If it was we could play Robinson at the 3 but I am sure we all agree that Eli is the better choice.
Polito

Post by Polito »

yeah, i'm not seeing a huge issue with that lineup next year - height can be mitigated a bit with great athleticism, which HU has done a very good job of bringing in

Only spot I would like more height is SG, but considering that's JWF, it's irrelevant. Now I would like to see more height in the depth though, the additional PG, SG, and wings brought in to compliment should bring a different look and feel to keep opponents on their toes

A 6'8 4 is exactly right - just need another one!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We're in the current top 2 for Jordan Goldwire, along with UNLV. Looks like Speedy is his main recruiter.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... n-goldwire
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

ProudofPride wrote:We're in the current top 2 for Jordan Goldwire, along with UNLV. Looks like Speedy is his main recruiter.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... n-goldwire
Nice find!

I like Goldwire's skills, he has a knack for stealing the ball, and looks comfortable in an uptempo offense. It would be nice to get Goldwire and Ray in a class together, let Ray play off the ball a little and get to the rack, Goldwire more the pure PG with a perimeter game to keep opposing defenses honest.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOVE this player. Pleasantly surprised to see HU hanging real tough here and in the top 2 with a definite visit on the horizon. That is HUGE, esp considering the competition which is quite solid - major KUDOS to Speedy and JM here.

As I've said, there is no question in my mind on this staff's ability to recruit. Gotta land the ink, but a great effort thus far.

This would be a big time get - fantastic true point, would fill the need beautifully.
Cards

Post by Cards »

As many have already said stated, we need aa full roster next year. This is especially true since AW and TG are just taking up scholarship spots and no longer contributing to the team. From 13 available scholarship, that brings us down to 11, and I think we all agree it is wise to leave one spot open in case a transfer or desirable grad becomes available. That leaves us with 10.

So that brings us down to 10. Below is how I see things:
PG - we have DB and we desperately need a solid backup. Maybe it will be Goldwire, and I would ok with that. His videos show good passing instincts and an ability to score.
SG - we have JWF and JR. I assume this will be JR year to get his feet wet and get used to playing at D1 speed and size. JWF should play 35 minutes per game.
Wing - we have EP and Jamal. Jamal has to be relegated to this spot - he simply is not a 4 and should not be expected to play it. EP should play 30-33 minutes per game.
Forward - we have ST and ????? This is the other position that we have to fill in this recruiting class. Although ST has good length, he is only around 195-200 lbs. I think he is athletic and has had a year to work out with the guys during his RS year. This should have helped him develop. Hopefully he puts on 10-15 lbs by next season. That being said, he has to still be treated as a question mark - we simply don't know how he will be perform in games. Therefore, we must have adequate backup at the 4, or someone to play the 4 with ST as the backup.
PF/C - we have RG and HS.

I like this distribution of size and it gets us bigger than we have been - but importantly, it keeps us athletic. Four guards in the 6 foot range. Two wings in the 6'4"-6'5" range. Two forwards in the 6'8" range (hopefully), and two bigs in the middle. I don't care that the 2 spot is small, as JWF can score like a demon and I think JR will be the same kind of player. Assuming we get Goldwire or someone like him, the key is getting another forward so we don't get killed inside as we did this year.

Because we would have all bases covered (with Goldwire and a 4 - fingers crossed) if a surprise guy becomes available we can take him no matter what position he plays.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HU is still connected with a number of PG'S on the recruiting trail but has anyone heard HU connected with any 4's ??? JAM, we need a 4...............
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not much noise on the 4 spot yet from my view, but the staff has directly stated they know that is a priority in this class. A PG and a stretch 4 are the top focus by the staff for '17.

Thank God. The thought process is right, now just have to land them.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:Not much noise on the 4 spot yet from my view, but the staff has directly stated they know that is a priority in this class. A PG and a stretch 4 are the top focus by the staff for '17.

That's all well and good, but I hope the 4 is in the 6'7" - 6'8" range. I know we have some nice 6'5" guys on our radar - and although they appear to be good recruits, I feel we really need to add the height.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Ditto! We NEED LENGTH....
Cards wrote:
Polito wrote:I feel we really need to add the height.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:Not much noise on the 4 spot yet from my view, but the staff has directly stated they know that is a priority in this class. A PG and a stretch 4 are the top focus by the staff for '17.

You think the staff is holding that 4 spot for a JUCO or Grad transfer? It would be ideal to bring a junior in, with JWF the only rising junior in the class.