Jojogunne

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by Jojogunne »

HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:Tripp does not sound like a PG:

https://www.sny.tv/rutgers/news/jahlil- ... /161522086
Yea looks like a forward. Listed on the south plains roster as a forward.

http://www.spctexans.com/sports/mbkb/20 ... ahill_iwpn
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We can certainly use a few more wings...he was also shot in the leg....now we can have two.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I like this offer. I recall HU recruited him originally out of HS before he decided on Rutgers (his biggest offer, most were mids). Staff change caused him to never go and went to SP for a Juco year instead. He is another guy who could come in and do 3 yrs here.

Can play and DEFEND the 1-3. In P5 he's more of a SG/wing 2/3, but he can also play point at the mid level. He would be a fantastic change in size from Buie during games. Not sure how the staff is envisioning him though, just noting he has the ability for all 3, esp here.

Lot of positives: He is athletic, versatile, high-energy, a bulldozer with great guard size, a very strong rebounder, good defender, can attack the basket and is unafraid to do so, and can hit the 3. His best offensive game is actually mid-range, which coincidentally enough, is a current weak area in the HU roster. Shoots over 50% from the field.

Biggest downside to me is he (of course) a bad FT shooter. :? And I imagine with his size driving to the hoop and battling bigs for the ball could lead to a lot of opps for FT baskets.

Knew a coach was down in TX, figured for recruiting, and this saw this update over the weekend to connect the dots 8-)

This could be a similar situation to Carter in terms of marketing the idea of coming back home. Instead this time, home is actually NY. Would imagine HU has a good shot here.

Pretty clear HU needs at least a couple of guards with size...to us and staff.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone know his stats for this season??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

On site, 12 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2 plus assists pg and as Polito said, he'll fit right in shooting 59.6 percent from the charity stripe.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If I read correctly his team is undefeated and #1 ranked JC team in country?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Looks like he would be a nice fit for The Pride....appears to be a versatile player and very athletic....hopefully he is one of those guys that can improve FT shooting...tough Brooklyn kid
Polito

Post by Polito »

Correct. SP is one of the blue bloods in Juco. A national championship program, with a hall fame coach for 17 years.

Tripp is not just a contributor, he is an impact starter on a team of talent. For 3 yrs at his size and ability / versatility I would take this young man all day long.

Come on home Jahil! NY awaits your return!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Kid comes from a very strong JC program, very strong HS program. I also like the fact that he was recruited by Van Macon at Rutgers. Make this one happen staff
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, all good points - I am very intrigued by these 3 year Juco guys, seems like a big win - kind of similar to prep players, good competition if from the right program, and since it includes college Sophomores you know they have experience against older / bigger guys

I know some on here get all hopped up on HS freshman, and there is certainly value in developing players from 'scratch', but the reality is the D1 game requires experience, size, and mature skill sets (esp to win in the CAA) and this can be achieved via prep, Juco, and transfer players MUCH easier - and the idea of not building a program that way is a complete fallacy - a holdover idea from about 20-30 years ago that is no longer applicable.

Most top programs, mid and high, do exactly this, and it flat out WORKS. There should always be a mixture of true frosh and more experienced guys - ALWAYS.

Many freshman are going to be redshirted anyway, so there is a lot of value in bringing in guys who have spent an extra year or two playing live ball
Captain

Post by Captain »

Maybe Malik Nichols has weighed in with Mr. Tripp. Malik went to Lincoln and he went to South Plains too I believe.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Captain wrote:Maybe Malik Nichols has weighed in with Mr. Tripp. Malik went to Lincoln and he went to South Plains too I believe.
I think you are correct...Malik a great kid to bad he got hurt down the stretch last year. Think he could have put us over the top in the CAA final.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

guys, love your enthusiasm but a lot of talk and no action (meaning no commitments)
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

guys, love your enthusiasm but a lot of talk and no action (meaning no commitments)
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Are you coming to our event on Thursday? You can ask the coaches directly
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Need the talk before we get the commitments. The more guys we are in on the more chance we have of landing them. Also I don't think a player can sign until a couple months from now (besides the early signing period which already passed).
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Coaches are not allowed by the NCAA to talk about any specific recruit that has not signed the national letter of intent. The next basketball signing period is after the Final Four from Wednesday April 12th to Wednesday May 17th.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

We have offered a PG from Illinois today, Teyvion Kirk. Looks like a 2-star guy. Haven't found much on him yet so I'll wait for Polito's scouting report lol