MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by Polito »

JMU got a commit, so they are off the doughnut board...

On the positive front for us, I have FINALLY tracked down at lease some semblance of a scoop:

There apparently was an official from one of the newest offers, and per Zags Twitter JM seems to have also gone out to visit with him personally as well. Definitely keeping an eye on this one...

'17 6'5 G/F Lucas Williamson out of power Whitney Young in Chi-town - listed as one of the top uncommitted players in the city/state, a player that is both ready and expected to shine his senior year - here are a couple of snippets:
• Lucas Williamson, 6-4, Young

The unsung senior returned this past weekend from an official visit to Hofstra and has also taken an official visit to Northern Illinois. Williamson, who received a recent offer from Eastern Illinois, is still hearing from Wisconsin-Green Bay, Toledo, Bucknell and Incarnate Word.
http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/201 ... ing-round/
■ Lucas Williamson, Whitney Young

He plays for a high-profile high school team and played with Meanstreets on the EYBL circuit. He’s been a fixture among the Hoops Report’s top 20 prospects in Illinois since the day he entered high school. Yet the recruiting urgency for the 6-5 wing, at least in sheer numbers, probably isn’t where it should be coming out of July.

The steady and consistent Williamson doesn’t seem to be bothered, but he does believe he should be recruited at a higher level.

“I am happy with and appreciative of the scholarship offers I’ve received,” says Williamson. “No disrespect to any of those schools, and I’m not bashing them at all, but I do think the level I’m being recruited at should be higher. But that’s the competitor in me. I do appreciate the schools who have offered.

“I play to win. Winning is everything to me and everything else is a bonus to me.”

Williamson sports offers from and is actively engaged recruiting wise with UIC, Toledo, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Northern Illinois and Incarnate Word.
http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/201 ... lass-2017/
■ Lucas Williamson of Whitney Young has played well in spurts for a perimeter-loaded Meanstreets team, averaging 7.4 points a game. The sample size of opportunities is a little smaller, but he’s chipped in nearly 4 rebounds a game while shooting 50 percent from beyond the three-point line (6 of 12).
http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/201 ... ok-beyond/

Whitney Young is currently #3 in the pre-season top 25 Chicago HS rankings - would guess Greer may help them with this one...
HU87

Post by HU87 »

PERFECT type of player for us. Reminds me a lot of Rokas' profile as a senior-- under the radar due to playing on a powerhouse team (Oak Hill) and not being the 1st/2nd/3rd option. It'd be a great move for this guys to come here and have similar success on a bigger stage than somewhere like Incarnate World or Bucknell. Let's get a commitment ASAP and tie this one down before the HS season starts...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Definitely HU87, agreed, could flourish under JM and the HU system - he can play the 2 or 3 very effectively, so can either play right away behind JWF at the 2, or redshirt during Robinson's Sr yr and play right behind EP in '18

HU also could be in a good place with Jairus Stevens, a similar wing player out of IN who is actually transferring to EP's alma mater Cheshire Academy this season

I also picked up on the St Bona boards that HU is in the top group for Dominick Welch, a kid I am pretty high on - big time numbers, great ability, and is a 4 star per ESPN, BUT I believe he does play one level lower than ST in terms of competition - still with his skillset he could be the 2nd stud out of WNY and join ST at HU:
Welch tweeted his final 4 schools are St Bonaventure, Dayton, UB & Hofstra...lets win this one !!!
http://bonabandwagon.proboards.com/thre ... ing?page=9

All of these guys are somewhat underrecruited or underrated, which is HU's talent evaluation wheelhouse - I trust this staff - to me, landing at least one of the above I think is vital in this early period - HU still needs a true PG to backup Buie next yr, and I would like to see another stud big to be next in line post-Rokus
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like we finally got one! Welcome to the Pride, Jalen Ray!
https://virginiapreps.rivals.com/news/h ... s-caa-pick
garyg

Post by garyg »

Does not appear to have been highly recruited but I know, JAM and staff have an eye for spotting talent...
Cards

Post by Cards »

Here is some video of Jalen Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSf4F5Tuoz0

He is built a little like DB but has a little more weight and strength. He looks like a pretty good find. He's quick and fast, appears fearless taking it to the hoop, looks to have really good shooting range 10 ft to 25 ft, good ball handling skills, easily creates his own shots, and has good springy legs. All in all he looks like a good athlete with a good set of skills.
Give him a year experience, a year working with Speedy, and a year building more strength in the weight room, and I could see him as a solid CAA type guard.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I wouldn't be surprised if Deron Powers influenced Ray's commitment.
I'm sure Ray saw a lot of Powers when he was at Hampton. He looks a bit like a clone of Powers too. I think he looks great!
garyg

Post by garyg »

On paper and video this kid appears to be a solid pickup....my question is why wasn't this kid recruited by more CAA or CAA level teams??...was/is he that far under the radar or maybe his emergence was quite late and higher level schools just started to take notice when Hofstra came in and scooped him up??
dutchalum01

MBB recruits 2017

Post by dutchalum01 »

He looks legit and super athletic. I don't know how or why he flew under the radar, but I'll take it. Seems to possess a solid handle, outside shot and the ability to finish at the rim.

"Jalen Ray | 2017 | Team Loaded 757 17U
Jalen is a smooth left-handed guard who exhibits a smooth a confident stroke from the perimeter both from the catch and off the bounce. He’s a solid rebounder for his position, given his length and quick reactions, along with his leaping ability. He recorded a team-high 17 points while connecting on 5 made three pointers in a win for his team."

"In terms of guys whose stock has considerably risen this weekend, local standout Jalen Ray (Team Loaded 757) has been the main contender. The 2017 guard strung together two consecutive 20-point showings, and showing a smooth stroke from three-point range."

http://teamloaded.org/jalen-ray-officia ... e-mixtape/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OurGwLFhJOA
Last edited by dutchalum01 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Any chance he can play defense?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Does it matter?
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Ha on a Mihalich team probably not
Polito

Post by Polito »

Was traveling this weekend, so a little late to this party. Few things:

About time.

I'm 50/50 on him. He is not a PG, he is a SG / CG, more of a JWF-type, and perhaps next behind him with Bernardi graduating - would prefer more height considering Buie and JWF are on the shorter side, but he does have crazy leaping ability = rebounds well and can block shots either at the top of the key or by the basket - you'll see this in almost every one of his highlight vids - it's impressive

Looks quick, confident, and athletic, very steady from deep, and makes strong slashing moves to the hoop

Only ranked in the 30's for VA top players which isn't super but isn't terrible - this staff has proven to super at evaluation, so will give the benefit of the doubt and take a wait and see approach his Sr yr

He could very well be an under radar guy who is just recently coming into his own - he did make 1st team All-State this yr in the 5A class (of 1-6 based on school size), with guys like DeMonte Buckingham (Richmond) and Mario Haskett (Harvard), and is teammates with Marquis Godwin (another Richmond commit) - some other HU targets like Ingram and Jones play 2 size levels below in 3A
http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/bkb-2016 ... -boys1.pdf

That said, this is not really a 'splash' commitment I was hoping for considering we had to wait until OCTOBER to land a single one when most other CAA teams have already pulled in 2, 3, even 4 players, and several of them very high quality

However, HU Fall Fest is this coming weekend, and Fetty Wap is the highlight artist, which is big time to that age group - I would bet good $ there will be some visits this weekend, and it wouldn't surprise me if HU secured another key commit coming out of it...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Further insight on Ray:

Offers that I can find: Saint Peters, NJIT, Campbell, Quinnipiac, Loyola

I think that is what is giving me pause at the moment, but I found some good scoop from an article noted below that sets me more at ease. Again, he's either not the stud level we're used to at guard, or HU jumped in at the first signs of big potential - his Sr year will tell all

I do very much like that he's a 757 VA product - talent-LOADED region, and great to continue building in-roads there.
Many universities have also sought interest in Ray, who led the Crabbers with a team-high 22.3 ppg for the 2015-2016 season. The most recent to reach out to Ray were Kent State and James Madison but the class of 2017 point guard has a bundle of universities observing him such as George Mason, The Citadel, James Madison, Kent State, Robert Morris, VMI and more.

“This past season they really liked that I took control of the games and really showed my ability to score,” said Ray.

Ray and the Hampton Crabbers began the 2015 season without juniors Marquis Godwin and Mastadi Pitt. Although Godwin returned to the team midway through the regular season, Ray continued to make an impact.

“I stepped up this season and I became more of a leader and a threat to other teams as well,” said Jalen Ray.
http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/757-bask ... ion-video/
garyg

Post by garyg »

Now that practice has officially begun hopefully pace of official visits will also pickup...debate being history also should help
Polito

Post by Polito »

Gut feeling this is going to be a big weekend for hoops

Look for '17 SF Greg Jones from VA to be on campus for an official, and I would wager other key targets as well...
garyg

Post by garyg »

You are right Polito...Greg Jones is scheduled to visit Saturday, October 8th...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Check this out, found a great recent clip with Mr. Jones discussing his recruitment:

John Marshall's Greg Jones on his Final 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ3pXfIgy88

Learned that he is actually from NY 8-) he's big on coaching and staff quality, thinking this all bodes really well for the good guys at HU - plus it is his last official, so timing is excellent

This young man appears to be physically dominant high-energy guy, versatile, built similar to a Tanksley, around 6'5-6'7 215 or so = college-ready body right out of the gate in the 3 or 4 spot

Seems to have a very similar inside-out skill set too, but a bit more athletic with a tougher persona - and fire is something this program NEEDS - I want guys with some swag, an aggressive confident attitude that WANT to be leaders, can't stand to lose, and bring that fight every time out

This is different from an arrogant guy with a bad attitude - but this team needs players that play with absolute fire like Gustys - no more soft leaders

He made 1st Team All-Conf, All-Region, and All-State this past year (3A)! This aligns him with guys like Travis Fields (ODU), Maliek White (Providence), Jeremy Sheppard (ECU), KJ Davis (ECU), and Travis Ingram (Arky St)

GJ's other key offers include Middle Tenn St, Richmond, UNCW, Northeastern, Hampton, Towson, UNCG, and others - and he's another VA pipeline connection in the very fertile Richmond area - I'm down - let's knock his socks off this weekend.
Last edited by Polito on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Appears that he will make a decision pretty quick after his visit with Hofstra on the 8th....hopefully we can lock him up!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone able to get some video of Greg Jones other then the interview?