MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by garyg »

Thanks for the info you guys posted on Osbel...looks to be a real keeper...since he is apparently flying way under the radar not sure why Hofstra can not sign him early?? Looks to be a great fit for him and us??
garyg

Post by garyg »

It is definite....Greg Jones to JMU...
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hofstra offers Larry McKnight Jr (JCUO from Palm Beach State College, but he spent his first year after high school as a red shirt at Wofford). Don't know much other than he is listed as a shooting guard at 6'3" with reports anywhere between 220 lbs and 230 lbs. Sounds more like a linebacker :D

And yes, like others on the board - I like Osbel alot!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I read a quote from his HC Tom F. that OC is looking to commit in the early period.

I also like his teammate Lester Quinonez, an '18 sharpshooter HU is watching, and former URCA guard Rashan Allen who transferred back to his home area of Copiague - these 2 can put the ball in the basket in a hurry and a flurry.

Saw the new offer to Mcknight - I wasn't really getting this one, hasn't had much of a career (decent HS, redshirted at Wofford) but I will say in his first 2 JUCO games he is shooting lights out all around: in the field, from the stripe, and from deep. Again, have to trust the staff, they have the eye, could be another budding stud.

Love his size at 6'3/6'4 well over 200lbs for the SG spot - that's Jenkins-esque truck size for a guard, and a perfect compliment to HU's smaller points in this conf. Will keep an eye on his season.

Hate to see Jones go to JMU - he's got a CAA ready body now, but he's a tweener in height - will be interesting to see how he's used and what he becomes in D1 - he will be a load to handle in strength, although we'll see how his game develops there, esp on the offensive side - couple of yrs out from big impact IMO, but potential is there - I'm just not sure about JMU's player development with the new staff - time will tell - I know HU could've developed him into a Tanksley type

So far in this cycle, HU has been the bridesmaid and not the bride. It happens, but when the staff gets guys on campus for visits and make their top 4/5, got to be able to finish - recruiting is all about CLOSING. HU is also in the final for Dominick Welch - been quite all around for him recently, so we'll see...

Want to see a big time get in this early period to compliment Jalen Ray.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Are we in on any bigs? Need to look towards a future with no Rok at some point
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, it's Day 1 of the early signing period!

RP15, only big I've seen offered that is still on the board is 6'9 Greg Calixte out of Mount Vernon - would be a fantastic pick up, but no clue where HU stands. Agree 100% that HU needs a big time player in this class in the post. Knowing this staff I would imagine they are doing a lot of work behind the scenes...

Hoping for plenty of great news over the next week - ROLLPRIDE!
Polito

Post by Polito »

CRICKETS so far

Hoping this staff has some big time news coming - haven't heard Ray signing yet... really hoping the quiet is due to at least 1 more impact inking on the horizon alongside him - still 6 more days to go, so very well could be the case...

Rest of the CAA has had a very good early recruiting period. Want to see some game-changers here HU, show us the studs!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone hear anything ??????????????
garyg

Post by garyg »

Seems like everyone is signing someone early except us? Guess we have to wait and see what happens and staff has somewhat proven good things happen to those who wait but lets get it done JAM
Polito

Post by Polito »

Driving me nuts

The CAA has absolutely CRUSHED the early recruiting period - except for HU... so far. And with 4 ships to fill, I really have no interest in seeing them scramble to address every need in the late one - it's clearly not necessary as the top teams in this conf have landed and SIGNED strong classes in this early period.

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/special/20 ... y-2017-caa

Between the above, Verbal Commits, and twitter finds:

NU: *4*
UNCW: *5*
CoC: *4*
JMU: *3-4*
UD (yep even them): *3*

Most of these are signed sealed and delivered, and they did it the FIRST day. Now just landing a class early doesn't mean those teams are automatic for uber success - it's all about talent, fit, coaching, etc. But it def shows the competition in this conf is no joke - HU must stay on the absolute TOP of it's game, esp in recruiting, because others are not slowing down. If anything, I see them speeding up.

HU? HUGE need of 4 vital ships for the future, but just 1 verbal so far - how is that possible? Really can't understand why HU always seems to be last minute. And HU being a finalist for a number of guys and not landing isn't helping, although obviously has added to the disparity in numbers. And not closing the deal on those guys is another issue altogether.

But as you said gary, this staff has proven themselves yr after yr, so have to agree even though I find it frustrating, they certainly do deserve our trust and patience - I'm sure, and know, there are big recruiting efforts happening - just a matter of time. My hope is with no official announcement yet that means there's some good stuff being finalized as we write.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Towson has signed at least 2 and as much as we do not like to see this name on this board Stony Brook has 4
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Information about the CofC signers is incorrect. Verbal Commits never has ours right. Galloway was signed last year and already on the team Cole is going to prep school. We have signed the two we have room for next year.. Good luck on the season. Top 6 or 7 this year will be all be good. I pull for all CAA teams ooc.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Feeling a bit better with some additional clarity around the '17 efforts

Lot of excitement around Ray - drawing comparisons to a JWF, which is awesome - plays on a very strong Hampton squad that I expect to do some damage, and is thought to be the best player on the team (couple of D1 teammates are committed to Norfolk St and ODU) - already know he's a 1st team all-state as a Jr, so should be a big Sr yr for him - and he should be all in for HU

As some have mentioned, there is a challenge around landing kids in this class due to the returning talent on the roster (ie available PT) - '18 will prob be a much bigger 'splash' in that dept. if that holds true

For now the focus next looks like a big and another guard, ideally with experience - I would imagine this will occur in the late period at this point.

May redshirt a player or two this yr as well...

And I'm curious about Walkers use this yr - with Sabety looking like a straight beast with skill, where would his minutes come from when they were minor last yr? Is he able to take a yr??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I hope we don't redshirt anyone! Do not want a repeat of last year when we NO BENCH. IMO it cost us the NCAA bid.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Haha, I know what you mean HUSID80 - I think it is an option/desire if it can work out - if the staff can roll out 9-10 all year long, I would imagine that is a good / desirable scenario in their eyes

let's see how it plays out the next few games in terms of who gets time on the floor - that should give us the insight

as for the rest of the '17 class, keeping an eye on the FL region - seems to have been a decent amount of activity down there over the last yr or two...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Figure I would add some sunshine to the board to counter things :D I have been watching some vid on the next great HU guard Jalen Ray, and I have to say after some early reservation, I am becoming a huge fan - really like what I see - if he has another great 1st team all-state yr to cap off his HS run, then I think I'll be a believer.

Here are some highlight vids - keep an eye on this kids hops, they are absolutely through the roof - he's a very good rebounder, and can block shots with the best of them - I haven't seen many SG's get up and block like that - seems to get higher for blocks than even his dunks lol - has quick hands, a strong handle, loves to attack the lane, can finish in traffic, create his own shots, and can shoot lights out - think we have our backup to JWF after BB is gone next yr, and a budding star - let's see if you see what I do - a LOT to be excited about with this one:

Jalen Ray Official Sophomore Mixtape!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTVxcHME1uk

6'2 2017 Hampton/Team Loaded 757 Jalen Ray Best PG in VA??!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSf4F5Tuoz0

Jalen Ray - Big Time Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OurGwLFhJOA

Hampton's Jalen Ray (2017) IS A PROBLEM #TOPVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxLBOlaqceM

Jalen Ray Basketball Team Loaded 757 Greensboro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1DAbbfua2g

PenSouth POTY Jalen Ray Explodes for Team Loaded 757 @ Boo Williams Super Regional
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8sWNCBWfyg

Skinny fella, gonna need to put on some beef for the CAA, but the young man has some real talent, and is proving it against strong competition in the VA HS and AAU circuits. Great get staff!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Question is has he signed his LOI yet ???
Polito

Post by Polito »

I believe the word is yes.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

His Twitter page says "Hofstra commit":

https://twitter.com/jray20_
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »