MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by Dooku25 »

It would be great if we could find a Denton Koon type to go with Trueheart at the 4
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

There is a list that comes out at the end of March of the grad students who still have a year of eligibility left
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Harrison Curry out of Pensacola State College (JUCO) is visiting on Thursday.
https://twitter.com/MyLineOfChamps/stat ... 0938520577
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This article says Curry can play defense. That would be nice:

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/news_arti ... son-curry-
garyg

Post by garyg »

If Curry does select Hofstra let's hope

1] He's not another Ty Greer

2] He is a legit 6-7 and not one of these 6-5 or 6-6 guys that they round off to 6-7

3] His defense does not suffer by coming to Hofstra...LOL
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Two things he said in the article concerns me. He said he wants to come to a school with a winning tradition. Does the fact we have not been to the NCAAs inover fifteen years disqualifies us Also he talks about playing for a coaching staff who can develop big men
garyg

Post by garyg »

Well one of things he said he is looking for is the chance to be an impact player...he would definitely have that chance at Hofstra if he can play the 4
garyg

Post by garyg »

Ray....Goldwire.....Tripp...Curry....would be a nice class and compliment what we have returning
Cards

Post by Cards »

Here is some tape of Curry during his freshman year at JUCO. Whether he is 6-5 or 6-7 is hard to say, but he definitely appears to be a stronger more physical player than TG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2imoA2WHVI
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:Ray....Goldwire.....Tripp...Curry....would be a nice class and compliment what we have returning
I don't think we would sign both Goldwire and Tripp but even just three of the four could make it the best recruiting class in a while for us.
Polito

Post by Polito »

FINALLY, the type of player this class desperately needs

HU got into the game late from what I can tell, very impressive to get an official from him. Not a huge fan that it's the first visit though, would prefer the last, but better than none!

He's picked up enormous interest, some very solid offers, so this looks to be a very versatile player who can really stretch an opponent and fill that 4 spot very well. Physical, athletic, can put the ball on the floor, hit from deep, rebound, moves in the post with authority, and loves to play D - (praise the Lord) - definitely a bigger, more aggressive, and way more physical player than Greer.

As far as I can tell:

Offers: HU, JMU, Middle Tenn St, East Tenn St, UT-Chatt, FIU
Interest: Missouri, URI, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Illinois St, Iona, Louisiana Tech, Towson, UNC Greensboro, Arkansas Little Rock, Georgia State, Murray State, Nicholls State, Indiana State, and Cornell (also had UPenn as a HS Sr, so he clearly has the grades)

14pts and 6rbs a game this yr in Juco, and against a very strong schedule.

I watched a unique video of him, a day in the life, and he speaks about growing to 6'7 (wasn't always tall), and bulking up to 230 from 210 for this year - I think his measurables are fairly legit, and that is fantastic considering he has maintained his motor and athleticism.

Sounds like he would be a great get, and could be a real beast for HU - this is the kind of player build they need to battle the CofC-type bullies.
garyg

Post by garyg »

If they sign Curry that would allow them to break Trueheart in gradually and at times they might be able to play them as bookend forwards...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hope visit going well today...weather cooperated
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great timing for sure, yesterday was like a May spring day!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Curry is just what the doctor ordered and he is not being recruited by world beaters...SIGN HIM!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Anyone know anything about Grant Shephard? I saw him play at the Prime Time Shootout this year at Kean University. He plays for Monteverde Academy. I didnt find much on him, but he looked stellar. Would love to bring him in if he is not highly recruited.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Shepard is a 6'8" PF. Based on some high school video I saw, he is very mobile, runs the court very well, and has a good arsenal of inside move (with both hands which I think is pretty impressive for high school). Only saw one shot beyond 8 ft, which tells me he has no confidence in it (even though he looked pretty smooth). He does look very coordinated though, and appears to be the type of player who could learn to shoot at least from 15 ft out and maybe longer. (He is definitely not the RG or HS type). Actually he looks like a young Denton K without the jumpshot range but with better hops. He is originally from Canada. I see no reason why he does not have more offers than he does. The only offers I saw are from Richmond and a reference that stated Seton Hall had also offered.

He looks like he could be a real sleeper that after a year or two of working on his game could be a real contributor at the 4.

here is the video of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHwCRY2V4A
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I hope somehow, someway, he can come to Hofstra. He looked great when I watched. In a game with true talent in the gym, he stood out. His point guard is RJ Barret who is another real deal guy, but we would have no shot of him coming to Hofstra.

Cards, I really appreciate you finding that stuff..
Polito

Post by Polito »

Question is, who on this staff knows what they're doing to truly develop him??

Until I see a big actually IMPROVE his game under their direction, I'd say they need guys who are ready to rock from day 1.

FYI Goldwire and Norcross played for the GA state title last night, lost by 3 - looking to get stats. Tulane was there - if HU is serious about him, they better have been too (maybe were, I don't know). It's a fight to win him, esp with UNLV pushing hard.