MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by ProudofPride »

2 more unofficials today

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10
2017 Old Tappan guard Justin Minaya is on an unofficial visit to Hofstra, per source
https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 6885736448

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10
2017 @TTOBasketball guard Jelani Williams is on an unofficial visit to Hofstra today, per source
https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 8236297216
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Anyone else see the stud Northeastern managed to land yesterday? Amazing how well they can recruit with their subpar (yet historic) facilities.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... mas-murphy
garyg

Post by garyg »

Wow...how did they do it?? Obviously they had some sort of an "in" with this kid...good for the conference however
Polito

Post by Polito »

Couple of excellent visits, very glad to see some happening and actually hearing about it - really pleased to see Minaya - he will be visiting others though like BU, Fordham, Monmouth, and HU's growing rival UNCW (last place I would want to see a tri-state young man like him!), so we'll see - believe HU stacks up well especially for PT and talented wings in this system - would REALLY like to have his services for HU

Jelani may have been a late decision to swing by because he just released his top 7 today and HU didn't make that list - not sure how much HU was after, but sure he's a solid player, and seems to have strong academics - UD is in his list, so hopefully he goes somewhere other than there 8-)

Solid get obviously for NU - he has strong fundamentals, but is still a work in progress like most bigs - he'll make an impact under Cohen I'm sure, just prob not year 1 - and not knocking him, would say the same if he was HU, but he is not a 4 star talent - 3 IMO - he is still a bit raw offensively, and kind of a 'tweener for position: he's undersized in the post, but yet the 3 is not his strength at this stage - so if he's a 4, he's not a great handler for a light weight guy, and not what I would call athletic by HU standards - does have super wingspan though, and that helps his ability to attack the basket, and when he gets there he's strong with it - he decided to play overseas instead of continue the AAU circuit this summer and that likely lead the bigs to back off a bit and NU was on him - will be interesting to see how he is coached at NU, and what role he focuses on

and gary, please man, get off the good for the conf nonsense - HU doesn't need to be concerned one iota about this conference, just it's program - at least not until we see the CAA give a rip about HU - and I haven't in over a decade. Time will tell under new leadership...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Disagree Polito...the better the conference is OVERALL the better the talent level tends to be OVERALL...or reverse that...the better the talent level is OVERALL the better the conference tends to be OVERALL...Hofstra and other members of the CAA now need to raise the bar and get verbals from their own studs...everyone in CAA should look at this NU verbal as a positive...the CAA needs to be the best it can be and Hofstra needs to be the best it can be within that envelope
Polito

Post by Polito »

It's a nice thought Gary, and one I hoped for at one time too, but its simply not true. The success of the CAA is a relative non-factor for HU at this point - affiliation in this conference has produced very little actual benefit.

The only tangible benefit is a decent payout when another program made the NCAAT - that is IT. And it is a nice plus for sure, but outside of that, nothing related to the success of the CAA has ever = a real gain for HU. And that includes during the time of the VA 3. Even worse then.

Matter of fact, if anything, we can point to instances where the CAA has ignored HU, never fought for them with committees when they deserved it, shown extreme VA favortism, etc. Time will tell if that changes now, but I can already see the Carolinas becoming the new VA. I.E. zippo benefito.

If you can point me to one other tangible benefit to HU from any success of the CAA as whole, I'd love to hear it.

And being excited that competitors sign top talent makes no sense whatsoever - everyone is vying for ONE spot to the dance...ONE. Not interested one iota in others continuing to grab it. Let me know when other schools jump for joy over EP. Think Manhattan is sending Iona congratulations cards? :? C'mon dude, the success of another CAA school does NOTHING positive for HU - completely the opposite. Show me where VCU's recruiting prowess helped HU when they were in the CAA...won't hold my breath.

I don't like it, but dems da facts. HU needs to be concerned with one thing and one thing only: HU. You know what I'd like to see? HU winning the CAA and making the dance for 10 straight years, obliterating every CAA team in their way. Yep, that sounds good to me. 8-)
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU makes another final list:

'17 6'2 SG Travis Ingram top 6 --> HU, UNCW, Murray St, Arkansas St, La Tech, Quinnipiac
https://twitter.com/trav_gocrazy

Seems like the good guys have been on him for awhile, chances could be strong - thinking Deron Powers would be beneficial here, and of course Assistant Coach Lamar Berrett I would imagine is leading the charge

Pros: very athletic, strong handle, slashing guard, looks like can play 1 or 2, very quick ankle-breaking step, preference and strength is to attack the hoop, explosive at the rim, good defender and rebounder
Cons: ironically not a super shooter at this stage, needs to improve the 3, and general shooting - wondering if a different role other than SG would be in store wherever he goes

Solid other offers from UB, Towson, JMU, UCF, Hampton, Norfolk St, and others - 3* by Future150, #22 in VA by Phenom Hoop Report
Polito

Post by Polito »

Another unofficial yesterday in '17 6'5 WF Greg Jones out of John Marshall in VA

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 1852963840

Don't know a ton, but believe he can shoot out to 3, and rebounds very well - around top 30 VA, 2nd team all-metro as Jr (in Richmond, lot of talent) - I would expect 1st team this season - played against I.C. Norcom's Travis Ingram a few times - wonder if they tripped somewhat together...

Betting this is another result of Coach Barrett's efforts...

Would very much like to see HU build some strong in-roads to the VA pipelines - Rokas was huge, Powers a fantastic get, and if these 2 guys are efforts to continue, I'm all for it and excited about the recruiting potential down the road - VA is a HUGE hotbed for talent

Love the visit news (about time), now let's get some COMMITS :!:
Cards

Post by Cards »

anyone hear anything about how the recent visits went?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not yet, sure would like to get some insight here though... getting extremely anxious!

UNCW took their first '17 commit yesterday - feeling like HU is playing come from behind yet again - I know HU's strategy, and they've proven themselves for sure, but it is quite frustrating as a fan!

So far CofC, Elon, Northeastern, Towson, UNCW, and W&M have taken '17 verbals already - that's over half the conf folks - let's go HU! A lot of spots to fill!!!

Love the visits and the talent level, but it's CLOSING that matters - with 4 spots to fill, this program needs early verbals - definitely want them landing the highest quality possible, that is always the primary goal over numbers, but securing 1-2 IMO in the early session is a MUST.
Polito

Post by Polito »

6'2 SG Mike McGuirl took an unofficial yesterday - scorer, strong shooter, some A10 offers - HU is doing a great job bringing in strong talent for visits - believing (hoping!) a commit or two is on deck asap!

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 2638187521
Polito

Post by Polito »

Looking/hoping for a couple more unofficial visits this week

Officials should be shaping up for later Sept / early Oct, so my expectation would be for HU to lock down some commits at that time. They are clearly working on some fantastic talent, and that does take time and effort - keep it up fellas, get those IMPACT game-changers!!

SO anxious, I don't know how these guys do it every day, every year! :D But for now, it's all about patience for us fans
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone hear anything? Great to have 4 scholarships available and two that can be used in season if a quality transfer becomes available
Polito

Post by Polito »

Digging...

New name I saw on twitter they went to check out Jamir Harris recently, 6'2 PG for '17 out of St Patricks in NJ - big talent, big offers, but they must feel there's a potential opportunity there to warrant watching him - maybe a shot to get lucky (?)

Last word I have is officials will be on tap for end of Sept / beginning of Oct, so hoping to hear some solid exciting news very soon - stay tuned...

Not to add the pressure, but more CAA schools getting commits, including UD of all places. Again, I trust, and I am on board 100% with straight quality - I would just be really happy with 2 in THIS cycle if it can be done!! :D
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I hear visits are REAL tough right now as the coaches can't even show prospects the facilities due to the Debate. They are relegated to showing them pictures.
This could be part of the reason that we are not hearing much.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I hope the debate has a positive effect on the recruiting and that recruits are impressed that HU is hosting debate again
Polito

Post by Polito »

It has definitely had an impact on visits, hence the late Sept. / early Oct. timeframe - in addition, HU started classes later than some other CAA schools, and that also impacted setting up officials as the desire is to have the team on campus, school in session, events happening, campus looking great / lively, etc.

Staff is working hard, just dealing with a few challenging scenarios outside their control - but very hopeful for some great news in the coming weeks - even though HU has been put in a tough position and forced a bit behind others in '17 class progress, think they are still in good position with some great talent...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ingram goes to Arky State - HU was in his final list - at least he's not going to UNCW who was also in the final picture

Staff is in a very tough spot unfortunately, and it's showing - HU remains one of the very few CAA schools to not have a '17 commit yet - and I haven't seen or heard of any official visits yet either...

Frustrating to say the least, I'm sure for the staff even moreso - there is of course still PLENTY of great talent out there, and guys HU has a great shot with, but certainly hoping they can land 1-2 big impacts in this recruiting period

No desire to see them come up short again and have to push in the spring - that isn't really a desirable position to be in.

C'mon guys, debate be damned, get some kids on campus, find ways to show them the wow factors, and let's start locking this class up

PS: GW fires Lonergan :shock: - VERY curious timing just weeks before the season tips and in the prime of this recruiting period - I'd say there's some dirty laundry there - HU would do very well to JUMP ALL OVER the guys they originally recruited, like a PG Jair Bolden and PF Kevin Marfo - that should be top priority considering the challenges experienced thus far...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jack Herron @jwherron10
2017 Greg Jones of John Marshall has cut his list to 4: JMU, ECU, Hofstra and Marshall, per source #VaHoops

https://twitter.com/jwherron10/status/7 ... 5043505153
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good to see another solid player with HU in the final list... nice wing, similar to a Tanksley mold from what I can tell

It seems HU is right there for this one, but felt the same for the last two so I really have no idea lol - feels like between HU and JMU, but just guessing - I don't see ECU, even though he just visited there... they already took a strong commit from the same type of player

But who knows - would be nice to get some relationships building in that Richmond scene though, LOT of hoops talent down there

What I do know is the lack of officials seems to be hurting HU right now - still no word of any :x - I get the debate thing, but that can't be allowed to derail recruiting - hope the staff is doing whatever necessary to work around that, and I'm sure they are - FYI, NU took another commit, their *3rd* already - HU? 0 of 4 left to fill.

JMU also has a doughnut so Mr Jones here could change that for one...