MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by ProudofPride »

daHUPride wrote:
RollPride15 wrote:I really like our offers for our 2017 class...lots of talent there and I think there's room for another high-level program builder a la Buie or Pemberton to sign on board. Would love to get Ochefu from Philly.
Might need Jay Wrights help steering that young man here.
Coincidence you mention Jay Wright, him and JAM chatted when they ran into each other on the recruiting trail in Philly yesterday. https://twitter.com/ElevateHoops/status ... 1168877568
Polito

Post by Polito »

The latest '17 offer I'm VERY intrigued about, Dominick Welch, a guard about 6'5 (listed between 6'4 and 6'6 so I split it)

Very explosive, athletic, attacks the ball and the rim, handles well, passes well, and has very quick hands for on-ball D

He's not a super shooter, but can get it done from deep when needed

Very much in the mold of EP in terms of ability and slashing/drive-to-the-hoop aggressiveness, although maybe not as good of a shooter - can throw it down with the best of them, no fear - he's listed as a 4 star right now, but I think that's from an early assessment - I would put him in the 3 - 3.5 range

Also listed as a SG, but in college he projects perfectly for the 3 spot - he is a guy who can be EP's replacement, and I am very high on his potential - would be a perfect fit and a great get for HU - could flourish here, the HU system and the CAA level is where he can be a star

Has gotten some high major looks, but his place is at a quality mid like HU, and the CAA is the right quality level for him - if he shot lights out with range he'd be an auto P5 guy - I think because he doesn't have that auto shot, he doesn't project as a P5 2 guard, and he's a little on the short side to be a P5 3 - would love to see him as a priority and land with JM and co.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I don't believe this name has popped up on the board before, but it appears we're in Kaleb Hunter's final four.

Chip Miller ‏@BLUEChip_Miller 6h6 hours ago
Neuse Christian (NC) 2017 guard Kaleb Hunter (@hunterkmi) names his final four: Arizona State, Hofstra, UNC Greensboro and Middle Tennessee.

https://twitter.com/BLUEChip_Miller/sta ... 9675522048
Polito

Post by Polito »

Now that is very nice... top 10-15 player in NC '17 class - 3* level, great size, length, skill, and attitude - big time get for any mid, really fantastic and intriguing that HU is right in the thick of this one

Interesting final four - from what I understand he's all about the fit and the need, which bodes well for HU - he's got some pretty nice offers (VCU, ODU, Charlotte, ECU, Southern Miss, Murray St, etc. plus serious looks from Wake and Xavier), but is not all about the 'bright lights' and biggest name program/conf - he's about the best situation for him - seems like a good head on his shoulders, hence the variety in the final list

In the mold of EP, explosive and can basically do it all - strong from the 3, but fiercely attacks the hoop - perfect 3 guy, yet can play and defend 1-4 - IMO would be a perfect fit to both compliment and follow in EP's footsteps

Any idea on decision date?

Any feedback from those in the know on HU's realistic chances?
garyg

Post by garyg »

I realize it is very early but almost every time I click on Verbal I see another player Hofstra was recruiting verbally commit elsewhere...we need to get 3 commits early this year meaning before 2016' ends...last year we only signed one early and we are stuck with 3 open scholarships...JAM & staff must pick up the pace
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

it will be pretty disappointing if we only have 10 scholarship players on the roster this year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree 100% Gary... and ya know what, it's not that early anymore - MANY mid major programs already have commits, including locally and in the CAA

I LOVE the talent this staff is going after and landing, but I can't stand how rail thin they seem to keep running this program - it's not necessary, and I don't think it works. Yes, quality above all else, BUT you still have to bring in some quantity

And I get it, quality and quantity is much easier said as a fan than done in the trenches - but that's the job, that's the requirement to win, that's what it takes if you want to dance, if you really want to make national noise

So the expectation is they will do just that. IMO they really need to take at least 2 commits in the early period - if they once again leave multiple scholly's unfilled, that will continue to be a major concern with this staff's approach...albeit the only real concern with this staff for me lol - very happy with the rest

Love the offers, the talent is fantastic, but it's the commits that matter - although the hard work and effort is clearly there, and of course appreciated, this is about only 1 thing, and that is results. Trying is not enough. Got to start CLOSING at a much better clip.

Steal from one of the most tremendous movie scenes in history, A B C baby!!! Always Be Closing!!!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

You are right on Polito. In the final tally the coaching staff will not get credit for how hard they worked or how many offers they made
but on the total talent who have committed to play here and ultimately the results on the court.

It is like any sales organization the rep is judged on the amount and quality of sales called made but the final judgement is on total sales made in relation to assigned quota.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Would LOVE for Kaleb Hunter to kick off HU's '17 class - kid is a baller, an emerging star...

Should be announcing relatively soon - ROLL PRIDE baby!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hofstra offers Elijah Clarance (6'4" PG). Wow, I love this kid! check out this video. This kid looks like a real player. Loves to take it to the hoop, good ball handling skills, good size, excellent passer, really aggressive with the ball, solid 3pt shooter, good shooting form. Only downside I see is he's not a leaper. Looks like he could be a real mid-major sleeper with HU being a great home for him. not too many offers, but that could change quickly.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/elijah-clarence
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'll take a 6'4 PG all day long 8-)

Kid can flat out shoot the 3, and is straight confident doing it - love that - can move/cut/slice to the hoop - not sure how much of a true PG he is, but looks capable - he can absolutely score the ball and looks to play solid D with quick hands

Not sure if he's a 1, 2, or even a 3 actually... looks like he can play all 3 roles if necessary, and that kind of versatility is something this staff seems to like - and I agree, lot of value in guys that possess a various skill set and can handle multiple tasks when called upon
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Definitely a combo guard in the mold of Jenkins and Stokes,Well a little bigger than Stokes but same type of skill set.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Guys put your orders in now so that the chefs can deliver it to order LOL
Polito

Post by Polito »

Weird Science anyone?

:P
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hunter goes to UNC Greensboro - perhaps the best level for him, maybe he wanted to stay local, who knows

Would've been happy to see him land at HU, but kudos to him for not automatically going to the biggest school to offer like ASU, and to stay true to his desire to find the best FIT - that is what it's really all about.

Moving on, another VERY intriguing SG prospect for HU is Justin Minaya, Omar Minaya's son, who's been starring for his team out in NJ - looks like a talent, wing size/height at the SG position, but looks to be a perfect fit for a quality mid-major - would love to see HU at the top of his list
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10
2017 @BaltimoreElite guard Jamir Moultrie is currently on an unofficial visit to Hofstra, per source http://www.hoopseen.com/players/990
https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 7845390338
Polito

Post by Polito »

S.T.U.D.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Type of player that would be perfect for us....

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... r-moultrie

Our backcourt would be dangerous.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Wow. I wonder how good our chances are of landing him.

In other news, any word on big man talent? I feel like we haven't heard much on that front and some of the early guys we offered like Simms really blew up fast