Game#12 vs Delaware

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Game#12 vs Delaware

Post by stuball888 »

Hens down to 6 players. We should blow the doors off them. Allen and Carr now on Crutches.
Wags

Re: Game#12 vs Delaware

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Hens down to 6 players. We should blow the doors off them. Allen and Carr now on Crutches.
Crazy. While it's worked out for some (thankfully, HU included), the season is predictably a bit of a mess so far.

JMU, Towson and UNCW have all yet to play a conference game, Drexel will only be playing its second CAA game today and Elon has only played two CAA games. Every other conference in the nation facing very similar situations. Meanwhile, Covid is raging like never before in the U.S. and vaccine distribution is way behind schedule. It's going to be a challenge to get to Indianapolis.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Not that it will ever happen but what if a team very short on players due to injury decides to say it will postponed or cancel their next game and use covid as the reason
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Not that it will ever happen but what if a team very short on players due to injury decides to say it will postponed or cancel their next game and use covid as the reason
If Covid is legitimately the reason, it's a valid reason for postponing (as we've seen). If it's simply due to injuries, and the team can't show that those injured players tested positive for Covid, I don't think they could get away with that. But if it's based on injuries, it might be up to the opposing team to accept a forfeit or to agree to a postponement (not sure).
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Delaware's game yesterday was postponed because they were down to five players. The CAA has only been able to play 11 of 20 games so far.
Cards

Post by Cards »

EvanJ wrote:Delaware's game yesterday was postponed because they were down to five players. The CAA has only been able to play 11 of 20 games so far.
Not sure how I feel about this. It is not Covid related, so isn't a team required to field a squad or forfeit? It may sound harsh, but aren't injuries part of the game? What if this was a playoff game or happened during CAA playoffs, or what if the game could effect who gets into a playoff?

Not saying this was the case here, but isnt it a little tooo easy for someone who has 5 or six healthy players to say one or two of them just sprained an ankle but will be ready in a week or two?

Thoughts??
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:The CAA has only been able to play 11 of 20 games so far.
Wow, only about half the slate so far. Still plenty of time for makeups, but what if that type of rate continues a while, well into February?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:
EvanJ wrote:Delaware's game yesterday was postponed because they were down to five players. The CAA has only been able to play 11 of 20 games so far.
Not sure how I feel about this. It is not Covid related, so isn't a team required to field a squad or forfeit? It may sound harsh, but aren't injuries part of the game? What if this was a playoff game or happened during CAA playoffs, or what if the game could effect who gets into a playoff?

Not saying this was the case here, but isnt it a little tooo easy for someone who has 5 or six healthy players to say one or two of them just sprained an ankle but will be ready in a week or two?

Thoughts??
Wasn't there some high major team either last season or the season before that actually finished a game with only 4 on the floor. I think they actually even won the game.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So in addition to CAA alumni who currently have 2-way NBA contracts (Knight, Cacok, Riller, and Brantley), I see former UD guard Nate Darling also has one.

Interesting that my opinion of the quality of the CAA has gone down over the years, yet here are 5 alumni (six if you include JWF) whose careers overlapped and at various times played against and with each other. Then include guys like Pemba who don't have "2-ways" but are still playing G League. Kinda makes me think the league should be better ----- I'm confused!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Cards the problem is they are one single player on these teams that are good or great it cant carry these teams to signature wins We got one last year against UCLA I dont know if these other teams have signature wins maybe Evancan look back at the NETs of those teams and give us more information
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Cards wrote:

Thoughts??
Wasn't there some high major team either last season or the season before that actually finished a game with only 4 on the floor. I think they actually even won the game.
Alabama with Collin Sexton. Twas actually 3
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/25/167 ... -minnesota
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Cards the problem is they are one single player on these teams that are good or great it cant carry these teams to signature wins We got one last year against UCLA I dont know if these other teams have signature wins maybe Evancan look back at the NETs of those teams and give us more information
Are you asking about this season or if teams had signature wins they had guys that are now in the G League? Here's how the CAA has been in the last few seasons of 32 conferences:

2014-2015 (first season here for Green, Tanksley, and Bernardi): 19th
2015-2016 (first regular season title): 9th (best of the rest behind the Big 12, ACC, Pac-12, Big East, Big Ten, SEC, A10, and American Athletic)
2016-2017: 11th (the top eight were the same in a different order, the West Coast was ninth, and the Mountain West was tenth)
2017-2018: 12th (passed the West Coast and got passed by the Missouri Valley and Mid-American)
NET started in 2018-2019: 18th
2019-2020: 17th
2020-2021: 17th, and it's worse than last season because the Ivy League isn't playing, 17th of 31 is worse than 17th of 32)

In 2018-2019 when the CAA got worse, all of the players Cards named were still in the CAA.

Neither Hofstra nor Delaware has written a preview yet.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

EvanJ wrote:
stuball888 wrote: Cards the problem is they are one single player on these teams that are good or great it cant carry these teams to signature wins We got one last year against UCLA I dont know if these other teams have signature wins maybe Evancan look back at the NETs of those teams and give us more information
Are you asking about this season or if teams had signature wins they had guys that are now in the G League? Here's how the CAA has been in the last few seasons of 32 conferences:

2014-2015 (first season here for Green, Tanksley, and Bernardi): 19th
2015-2016 (first regular season title): 9th (best of the rest behind the Big 12, ACC, Pac-12, Big East, Big Ten, SEC, A10, and American Athletic)
2016-2017: 11th (the top eight were the same in a different order, the West Coast was ninth, and the Mountain West was tenth)
2017-2018: 12th (passed the West Coast and got passed by the Missouri Valley and Mid-American)
NET started in 2018-2019: 18th
2019-2020: 17th
2020-2021: 17th, and it's worse than last season because the Ivy League isn't playing, 17th of 31 is worse than 17th of 32)

In 2018-2019 when the CAA got worse, all of the players Cards named were still in the CAA.

Neither Hofstra nor Delaware has written a preview yet.
Here is a preview

Hofstra up 17 early 2nd half. Delaware wins by 9 with 19 late 3's. Most of which were uncontested.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Saturday's game has been moved to Friday at 1:00; Sunday's time changed from 2:00 to 1:00. Per CAA
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

So in a little over 24 hours we'll know if Trueheart and/or Silverio are available, along with how many Delaware players are available.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics lists the top five players in six categories, and Kante is fifth in rebounds per game. Burgess is 57th in assists per game.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=318318 will have statistics.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Nice of HU to help out UD a bit with the scheduling adjusts.

Need to get back on the winning track after the disappointing NU series. UD is pretty ravaged as noted, but this team still needs to show it can consistently play up to its level and have a killer instinct to put opponents away and keep them there when they should.

Will be very keen on the Kante<>Painter matchup this weekend. Also really excited for Cramer to finally play in his home state again - a shame people can't be there to watch and support vocally, but I imagine he starts again today, and I hope he BALLS OUT all series!

RE Burgess, kid is making some fantastic passes, seems to be showing strong court vision and ability to set up the O and get his teammates in positive positions - if this team shot the ball better he'd be averaging 8-10 assists... of course can play the 'if' game with everybody and every team out there lol

With UD hampered, this has to be a game where HU takes advantage and plays better longer. No excuses here, I expect UD to still challenge, but this is a game HU really should own if they want to be top dogs. Would love to see the HU bench get a little deeper this weekend with some guys back as well, get them some time to re-acclimate (first pt for Zion).

Got outplayed and outcoached two in a row by NU, need to show some learnings from that and right the path. Great opp for progression here, go HU!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The statistics at http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=318318 don't list Kevin Anderson and Aleks Novakovich on Delaware's roster. I searched for Anderson and found his injury, but nothing about leaving the team. The roster includes Ryan Allen and Andrew Carr. If both of them are injured, Delaware has seven players available including one who played under a minute and one who hasn't played this season. The roster for Hofstra still lists Cowart. I like that StatBroadcast statistics format much better than the other formats, but whoever enters the rosters doesn't update them enough.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... M#team.ind has Delaware's statistics.

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... las-vegas/ says the line opened at 3.5 and increased to 6. The over/under is 137.5, so it makes a predicted score of 72-66.

https://www.flohoops.com/live/23709 will have video.

Jerry Beach did not write an I'll Be Quirky, but he wrote https://www.flohoops.com/articles/68563 ... ston-magic that recaps last week. Delaware hopes Allen and Carr can play. Even with them, Delaware has seven scholarship players and two walk-ons. I'm assuming Fred Rullo, who played under a minute in one game, and Odunayo Ogunbo, who hasn't played, are the walk-ons. Rullo scored 2 points in 3 games last season, and Ogunbo is a frehsman.

Edit: Allen and Carr are starting. We are starting our now normal starters including Cramer.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This team really needs someone who can actually hit open 3s.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Understatement of the year lol and maybe a little more ball movement. They look a little lackluster. You weren't referring to Cramer's air ball were u??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BTW where's Green?? What happened to the team that beat RICHMOND???????