Site Admin

NBA draft

Post by cactus »

Eli Pemberton goes undrafted.
Riller goes to Charlotte at #56 overall
Wags

Re: NBA draft

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:Eli Pemberton goes undrafted.
Pemberton was never getting drafted. But hopefully, he will get a chance to shine in some workouts with NBA teams.

The CAA is the only mid-major conference in the nation with NBA draft selections in each of the past two years.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Would love to see Eli get a chance with an NBA team. It's his dream and he matured and improved greatly last season.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote:Eli Pemberton goes undrafted.
Pemberton was never getting drafted. But hopefully, he will get a chance to shine in some workouts with NBA teams.

The CAA is the only mid-major conference in the nation with NBA draft selections in each of the past two years.
That's an easy opinion to have after the draft, I did see a list where he was ranked the #60 prospect.

He's not as talented but I would suggest a better NBA prospect than Justin as a prototypical 3 and D guy which NBA teams love to have these days.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Would loove for Eli to get a shot - I agree he has a more all-around NBA game and the size to go with it. Let's see, if he can show out he may get a flyer somewhere.

Buie getting a shot somewhere would be incredible too, just to see his development, savviness, and maturity up against the best, would be cool to see how he stacks up.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Big East POTY Myles Powell was not drafted, but signed with the Knicks. Sounds like the new NYK president likes hometown talent. Maybe JWF will be able to connect with them?

https://nypost.com/2020/11/19/myles-pow ... nba-draft/
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Buie feels like a guy who could have a very long, successful career in Europe. His IQ + craftiness really fit the ball distribution playstyle that lots of Euro teams run.

Pemberton could definitely contribute on many G-league teams and is a hard worker...who knows? There are so many fringe 3&D types in the league that he either has to improve his handle or really be draining shots. I think JWF's freakish scoring upside still makes him the better prospect -- if someone has a chance of being that microwave scorer, heat-check bench sub, it's JWF.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Nate Darlings signs two-way with Charlotte

Nathan Knight signs two-way with Atlanta

That means in the last two seasons, the CAA has produced Six (!!) NBA players. That must be a record for the league?

JWF to Utah
Brantley to Utah
Cacok to LA
Riller to Charlotte
Nate Knight to Atlanta
Nate Darling to Charlotte

It also gives Utah and Charlotte two active CAA players each.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HU87 wrote: Nate Darlings signs two-way with Charlotte

Nathan Knight signs two-way with Atlanta

That means in the last two seasons, the CAA has produced Six (!!) NBA players. That must be a record for the league?

JWF to Utah
Brantley to Utah
Cacok to LA
Riller to Charlotte
Nate Knight to Atlanta
Nate Darling to Charlotte

It also gives Utah and Charlotte two active CAA players each.
I don't call guys NBA players until they play in the NBA.

Mock drafts agreed that Riller would be the only CAA player drafted. Nathan Knight was considered the next best player. I would have been shocked if Buie or Pemberton got drafted.

Charlotte has three CAA players. They have Joe Chealey, who played one NBA game in 2018-2019 and four in 2019-2020. Riller and Chealey could be the first players to be teammates in the CAA and NBA. If and when Riller makes his NBA debut, Charleston will have two seasons (2016-2017 and 2017-2018) in which they had three NBA players. In the beginning of 2012-2013, Golden State had Jenkins and Kent Bazemore from ODU. Bazemore with with Atlanta in 2014-2015 through 2018-2019. He played 23 games for the Lakers in 2013-2014. Gary Neal from Towson had time with Charlotte and Atlanta. He spent a little time with Minnesota in 2014-2015, and in the three seasons before that, Minnesota had JJ Barea, who won POY in his only season in the CAA in 2005-2006 when he went by Jose Juan Barea. That was Northeastern's first season in the CAA. 2005-2006 was the first CAA season (only CAA season for Barea) for three players who played in the NBA in Neal, Barea, and Eric Maynor from VCU. Golden State and Charlotte also had Briante Weber, who had one season in the CAA before VCU left. In 2011-2012, VCU had Weber and Troy Daniels. Daniels spent time with Charlotte, the Lakers, and Minnesota. Weber played for Memphis nonconsecutively, and Daniels played for Memphis in between. Weber and Daniels played for Houston at different times. Treveon Graham was teammates with Weber for all four seasons at VCU, and he was teammates with Weber for Charlotte in the beginning of 2016-2017. At the beginning of 2013-2014, Milwaukee had Neal and Larry Sanders from VCU. Without knowing if it's a complete list, Charlotte, Golden State, Atlanta, Minnesota, the Lakers, Utah, Memphis, Milwaukee, and Houston are nine teams that have had at least two CAA players in the 2000s. VCU has gotten a lot more NBA players than ODU or George Mason.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Would loove for Eli to get a shot - I agree he has a more all-around NBA game and the size to go with it. Let's see, if he can show out he may get a flyer somewhere.

Buie getting a shot somewhere would be incredible too, just to see his development, savviness, and maturity up against the best, would be cool to see how he stacks up.
Buie was playing pro ball in the Dutch league for zz leiden and put up nice numbers in his two games (22/6 with 7 boards then 11/8). There is around a 2 month layoff between his last game in October and the next scheduled one, possibly covid related but I don't know how that league works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So now Desure Buie is a true FLYING DUTCHMAN
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
Polito wrote:Would loove for Eli to get a shot - I agree he has a more all-around NBA game and the size to go with it. Let's see, if he can show out he may get a flyer somewhere.

Buie was playing pro ball in the Dutch league for zz leiden and put up nice numbers in his two games (22/6 with 7 boards then 11/8). There is around a 2 month layoff between his last game in October and the next scheduled one, possibly covid related but I don't know how that league works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Good info. Cactus so it appears that there's a spot in professional basketball for all deserving players. A way for these kids to enjoy what they've worked so hard to develop and get paid for doing it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote:
Polito wrote: Would loove for Eli to get a shot - I agree he has a more all-around NBA game and the size to go with it. Let's see, if he can show out he may get a flyer somewhere.

https://www.dutchbasketballleague.nl/te ... /standing/ has them as Care & Security Leiden. They're ninth of twelve with the best point differential of the winless teams. They have been outscored 203 to 180. They lost 104-102 on October 3 and 99-78 on October 11. I don't know what the tiebreakers are, but point differential is a normal tiebreaker in basketball outside the USA. Teams that have lost all their games haven't played each other, so if the first tiebreaker is head-to-head it would rank the winless teams. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZ_Leiden is their Wikipedia page. It lists twelve players, of whom nine are Dutch and three are Americans. The other Americans are B.J. Stith and Michael Finke. Both of them are 24. Buie and Stith have Wikipedia pages, but Finke doesn't. Stith played for Oak Hill Academy. He averaged 1.0 point as a freshman for Virginia. Then he transferred to Old Dominion and spent three seasons there. In his senior season in 2018-2019, he won CUSA POY.